Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 11:14   #1

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime
Sounds Strange to me?

I have my 41' CHB for sale on this site. Someone has emailed me and wants to use Paypal to pay for it. First communication. This all sounds kind of scary to me, I do want to sell the boat, but i don't want to get ripped off. does any body else like this deal???? So here is what I got in my email...???

My name is Eric Robert! I'm in the (U.S Army-E-3 Private First Class) and am not in town for the moment as am currently in base for now. Also we are not allowed to make or receive calls frequently because we are having mandatory blackout for security reasons but we have internet access and that is our major means of communication to the outside world. I want to buy this for my son as a birthday surprise gift and he's not aware of this. So can you assure me i wont be disappointed buying this from you ?
HERE IS MY SECOND EMAIL....FROM HIM.....???

It nice reading back from you I am ready to purchase the vessel , so you can take the add off Site. I'll have my carrier agent come for pick up/storage and sign all necessary documents transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the hauler agent on my behalf after I make payment also i would love to assure you that the vessel wont leave your side until the money is in your account and clears i will be patient with you as am an honest man and a man of my word so once all this is done then we can now both schedule the pickup time and date... so kindly get back to me now with info so i can proceed with the transfer...will be looking forward reading from you...Thanks

NEXT EMAIL....????

I understand your concerns, but I'm deployed as at now and there's no way I can pay you in cash or wire money to you at the moment. Instead, I would use PayPal for payment as I have funds in my PayPal account and my bank account is attached to it hence the reason I opted to pay you through PayPal. I'm honest with you and I expect same in return. If you want to setup PayPal account you will attached your Bank account or your Credit card/Debit card and after PayPal verify it, you can withdraw from it or request money when ever you want to purchase with PayPal, i will only need your email address to make the payment to your account, immediately you will see the notification in your email you use for the registration. PayPal secure their customer, just go to http:// www. paypal. com and get it set up while you kindly give me the email address you used so that i can pay in right away and PayPal will notify you as soon as i made the payment while you proceed with their instruction. I can only feel secured sending my funds via paypal due to there various security measures at ensuring safe and secured transaction between buyer/seller.I will cover the PayPal charges so that your full asking amount will be credited to your Bank account. Looking forward to do business with you. Thanks

WHAT does anybody else think of this deal. Would you do this?, is there anyway he can rip me off here???

NEXT EMAIL. . . Please let me know what you think, thanks readers....??? Here is his last email...>>> Let me know... thanks.

One payment has been made and clear then haulers will be coming for the pick up and it going down to Idaho in Boise Okay
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:18   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Sounds Strange to me???

scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Its a scam, just google the last line in the first email, and add paypal to the search, lots of results.
Had very similar when I sold a car.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:24   #4

Walk away.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash of Lime View Post
I have my 41' CHB for sale on this site. Someone has emailed me and wants to use Paypal to pay for it. First communication. This all sounds kind of scary to me, I do want to sell the boat, but i don't want to get ripped off. does any body else like this deal???? So here is what I got in my email...???

My name is Eric Robert! I'm in the (U.S Army-E-3 Private First Class) and am not in town for the moment as am currently in base for now. Also we are not allowed to make or receive calls frequently because we are having mandatory blackout for security reasons but we have internet access and that is our major means of communication to the outside world. I want to buy this for my son as a birthday surprise gift and he's not aware of this. So can you assure me i wont be disappointed buying this from you ?

It nice reading back from you I am ready to purchase the vessel , so you can take the add off Site. I'll have my carrier agent come for pick up/storage and sign all necessary documents transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the hauler agent on my behalf after I make payment also i would love to assure you that the vessel wont leave your side until the money is in your account and clears i will be patient with you as am an honest man and a man of my word so once all this is done then we can now both schedule the pickup time and date... so kindly get back to me now with info so i can proceed with the transfer...will be looking forward reading from you...Thanks

NEXT EMAIL....????

I understand your concerns, but I'm deployed as at now and there's no way I can pay you in cash or wire money to you at the moment. Instead, I would use PayPal for payment as I have funds in my PayPal account and my bank account is attached to it hence the reason I opted to pay you through PayPal. I'm honest with you and I expect same in return. If you want to setup PayPal account you will attached your Bank account or your Credit card/Debit card and after PayPal verify it, you can withdraw from it or request money when ever you want to purchase with PayPal, i will only need your email address to make the payment to your account, immediately you will see the notification in your email you use for the registration. PayPal secure their customer, just go to http:// www. paypal. com and get it set up while you kindly give me the email address you used so that i can pay in right away and PayPal will notify you as soon as i made the payment while you proceed with their instruction. I can only feel secured sending my funds via paypal due to there various security measures at ensuring safe and secured transaction between buyer/seller.I will cover the PayPal charges so that your full asking amount will be credited to your Bank account. Looking forward to do business with you. Thanks

WHAT does anybody else think of this deal. Would you do this?, is there anyway he can rip me off here???

NEXT EMAIL. . . Please let me know what you think, thanks readers....??? Here is his last email...>>> Let me know... thanks.

One payment has been made and clear then haulers will be coming for the pick up and it going down to Idaho in Boise Okay
I run when I hear people talk about "honesty" etc, it's a golden rule and in place through much experience. None of it adds up and I would stay clear myself.
EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Gee an E-3 private that wants to buy a trawler for his son. Sounds Legit....Er NOT!. Run Run far away.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:36   #7

Yeah, the whole thing just screams SCAM!!! Don't even answer these e-mails.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 13:00   #8

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash of Lime View Post

NEXT EMAIL....????

Get that all the time whenever I list something for sale on Craig's list
Scam for sure!!!!!!!!!
Panacea2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 14:39   #9

Boat: Catalina 320

Base pay for an E3 is about $2000 a month.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 15:00   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The average age for an E-3 is probably about 19-20. I am not sure about the son old enough to walk let alone operate a 41' boat.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 15:03   #11

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Base pay for an E3 is about $2000 a month.
And the average E-3 is 19 years old, so I'd not expect his son to be old enough to use a boat.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 15:08   #12

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Surely a scam, but think of it as fishing, give him a bit of line and then play him, have a bit of fun while wasting his time and effort.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 16:18   #13

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime

Ok thanks, I thought so. . .
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 16:25   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Sounds Strange to me???

A scam, but I am still trying to figure out the angle.

Found this explanation. Seems to cover the bases nicely.

https://blogs.harvard.edu/philg/2013...-does-it-work/

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-08-2016, 17:46   #15

Ahh... a different type of fishing....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote