Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:09   #1

Single Hander - Solo Diver

Just curious from you single handed sailors.... do you dive? You're suppose to have a dive buddy. How do you handle this? Thinking of getting the equipment, mainly to dive on my boat, anchor, etc...
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
Re: single hander - solo diver

If all you are going to be diving is to check an anchor or scrub a bottom, I would consider myself anal to require a dive buddy for a shallow small thing like that. However, I have had years of training and dive experience and feel confidant in regard to dive problems and self rescue situations. Most divers experience problems in the first thirty feet or so of the water column, however, this is not an indication in itself that the shallow depth is at issue, as there are many other factors involved in establishing cause of those problems, such as training, fitness to dive, fatigue, illness or medical problems, etc. Most recreational divers spend more time in that first thirty feet of water as well, so that also in itself is a factor. Recommendations are to always dive with a buddy, however in the real world, we all make our own choices, and no one will stop you or take the consequences of your decisions but you.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:42   #3

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk I

I free dive and spearfish, which is arguably more and arguably less dangerous since you only have one lungful of air. No way you can have a guy right next to you making noise scaring the fish away or getting himself shot. So our buddy system is usually, first one in says "See you back at the boat, buddy."

But we are very careful.
ChannelIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:45   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I dive solo on our yacht, but the inflatable dinghy goes into the water first which makes a good platform to de kit in the water and lift the kit into the dinghy before jumping out. However, like MJ I have 25 years of diving behind me.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

For most of diving Ive had to do over the years,cking the anchor,cutting line from the wheel ect. Ive used a faceplate and fins sometimes with weights if needed. I carry Scuba gear but Very seldom have a use for it ,I don't go deep or work for more then a few minutes with out at least a surface helper, or a Buddy. But then Im an Old UDT diver,so I have Old habits, I see a lot of folks diving alone here and there, I just don.t do it. just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01   #6

Boat: Allures 44

Same as above. I have no problem diving alone in order to check the anchor or mooring, change zincs, search for lost objects, or investigate the local scenery. Life is full of risks. I just don't push myself as deep, or far, or into crevices, or into swift currents. Colin
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 00:27   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to nightsniper99
Re: Single Hander - Solo Diver

My friend and I dive frequently off of his boat spear fishing and on occasion recovering the anchor out of wrecks. We always have someone on the boat as a lookout and to come get us if we get caught in a current. We plan our bottom time and stick to it and listen to our little voice so we don't get ourselves into something we can't get out of. We dove for years in the Cooper river South Carolina were viz is 5 ft with the best light you can get after 15 ft of depth. Dives like that are only in 35-35 ft in depth but you could be just a few foot from someone and not know it. As an instructor I have to say dive with a buddy. the old addage do as I say not as I do. With experience and training you can do it safely.
nightsniper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 15:13   #8

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsniper99 View Post
My friend and I dive frequently off of his boat spear fishing and on occasion recovering the anchor out of wrecks. We always have someone on the boat as a lookout and to come get us if we get caught in a current. We plan our bottom time and stick to it and listen to our little voice so we don't get ourselves into something we can't get out of. We dove for years in the Cooper river South Carolina were viz is 5 ft with the best light you can get after 15 ft of depth. Dives like that are only in 35-35 ft in depth but you could be just a few foot from someone and not know it. As an instructor I have to say dive with a buddy. the old addage do as I say not as I do. With experience and training you can do it safely.
.....So this has to be Greg.....??
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 16:08   #9

I dive solo, as does nearly every bottom cleaner in the world. PADI and the other diving bodies are obsessed with safety and build in huge margins, which honestly makes scuba diving a really safe activity given the realities and dangers.

I'd never do an "exploratory" dive by myself, where I'm poking around and checking stuff out. I've gotten snagged by kelp and old fishing line, keeping me from getting access to my first stage. That's a dangerous situation to be in without a buddy to help you get free. Easy enough get out of the BCD but wouldn't be too hard to lose a grip on it and end up skyrocketting to the roof at a quick rate in your 7mm wetsuit.

There's a lot of factors at work here, but in general as others have stated I only hop in the water for shallow work with a specific purpose and a wide safety margin. I'm a padi divemaster and keep my rather simple equipment well maintained.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 19:23   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to nightsniper99

that would be correct.
nightsniper99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
singlehanding