Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 09:32   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
singapore marina fees for visiting yachts

anybody got any current prices for singapore marinas.
i'm taking delivery of a lagoon 440 cat on about the 22 oct,off the ship from the med and will need a few nights to get the boat ready before delivering to thailand.

in contact with changi sailing club and they have moorings and temp membership for about s$35 a night,but will have to use the dinghy and club ferry so might be easier to stop in a marina if they have space for a 25ft wide X44 ft cat.

ideas and reccomendations appreciated
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: singapore marina fees for visiting yachts

Hey Atoll,

I replied to your PM. Just got back from the US.

I'd recommend Raffles on the west side to give you a jump start on the straits run.

Cheers.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hey Atoll,

I replied to your PM. Just got back from the US.

I'd recommend Raffles on the west side to give you a jump start on the straits run.

Cheers.
thanks dan
i will fire off a few emails to raffels,kepple and santosa see who has space.

though the only reason for going into a marina apart from being easier to get ashore is that the water tanks were contaminated but have had bleach solution in the pipes and tanks for the last month sloshing around on the ship so it would be nice to give them a good rinse.

how easy is it to take on water at changi,is there a dock we could go along side for an hour or so to get water?

the boat has a big watermaker but it is pickled atm and water in johore passage is quite dirty?

should also have mentioned we will be heading up the east coast to bangkok in the original post
Old 08-10-2014, 17:16   #4

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
I also recommend Raffles Marina:

1. as Ex-Calif wrote, it is in a good location for continuing north along the Malacca Strait

2. it's reasonably well sheltered from squalls and thunderstorms in Singapore (the moorings at Changi Sailing Club get a lot of wake from passing vessels, and the Changi end of Singapore receives a lot of lightning strikes)

3. has a decent chandlery with staff who know how to source gear in Singapore

4. has an excellent boatyard with competent staff for support

5. although a public bus ride away from the MRT, the marina does have a shuttle bus

6. can act as a one stop shop for immigration, customs, quarantine,
and port clearance at entry and exit (but you have to pay fees to the
marina and fees to the CIQ officials)

7. can act as an agent if you have crew who are leaving the vessel in
Singapore or joining the vessel in Singapore (otherwise you have to go
to the Singapore Immigration office) (of course, the Marina will
charge fees to act as an agent to sign on crew or sign off crew - do
not take Singapore officialdom lightly. If you don't follow their
procedures you will be fined and treated harshly)

I'd guess that Raffles can accommodate your big cat on their CIQ dock.

Singapore is suffering a bit of air pollution or 'haze' at the moment, from burning on Sumatra.

It's an inter-monsoon period, with the mix of calms, lack of a prevailing wind, squalls etc that that means.

The NW Pacific has remained active, generating typhoons (the latest being the largest this calendar year to date) that continue to pull S winds and keeping the ITCZ something like 3 - 5 degrees N of where it might be expected to be. The Madden-Julian Oscillation wave has been moderately high in the Maritime Continent lately, associated with that cyclogenesis. Sooner or later, the MJO peak will pass, the ITCZ will move S, and the S wind along the Singapore Strait will collapse.

Water in the Johor Strait near Raffles Marina (or near Changi Sailing Club) is certainly not suitable as RO feed water. For that matter, inshore water in much of the Malacca Strait is turbid.

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
should also have mentioned we will be heading up the east coast to bangkok in the original post
Ah! That negates some of what I just wrote!

I saw no dock for taking on water near the Changi Sailing Club.

Al
Old 08-10-2014, 17:25   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great post Alan - I concurr.

Atoll - There is tap water on the dock at Changi and they won't mind you pulling alongside for a while - especially mid-week - for a flushing job.

As Alan says it's rolly at Changi unless you get one of the northern buoys (up channel) away from the bum boats going to Ubin.

I'd be loathe to run any water from the Singapore Port area through my watermaker - LOL...

Keppel, Sentosa and RSYC can all be good "mid-island" choices and all have dockage.

<edit> Whoops like Alan I am assuming a straits run to Phuket - Changi becomes a better choice - very laid back and a great bar.

You might also try SAF YC Changi - Singapore Armed Forces Yacht Club - They are "very" rolly but have docks and are the easiest spot to launch up the east coast from. Not well known but they do allow a certain amount of transient traffic.

All in all my choices would be SAF (docks) changi (location) then Keppel, Sentosa or RSYC. Raffles is great for teh reasons above but on the wrong side of the island.

Cheers
Old 08-10-2014, 17:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Ah! That negates some of what I just wrote!

I saw no dock for taking on water near the Changi Sailing Club.

Al
thanks al
since the cat is being offloaded from the 7stars cargo ship we will probably have to use an agent for the entry into s'pore ,though outward was fairly easy in changi at the ferry station last time i was there.

might have a look at keppel and santosa as in the right direction and a bit closer to the port,thanks for posting.

have you stopped in tioman island or koh samui on you travels interested to know what the anchorages are like in the SW monsoon,and which are best.

would not be the first time i have had to ferry water in containers,or bathe in mineral water
Old 08-10-2014, 17:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Great post Alan - I concurr.

Atoll - There is tap water on the dock at Changi and they won't mind you pulling alongside for a while - especially mid-week - for a flushing job.

As Alan says it's rolly at Changi unless you get one of the northern buoys (up channel) away from the bum boats going to Ubin.

I'd be loathe to run any water from the Singapore Port area through my watermaker - LOL...

Keppel, Sentosa and RSYC can all be good "mid-island" choices and all have dockage.

<edit> Whoops like Alan I am assuming a straits run to Phuket - Changi becomes a better choice - very laid back and a great bar.

You might also try SAF YC Changi - Singapore Armed Forces Yacht Club - They are "very" rolly but have docks and are the easiest spot to launch up the east coast from. Not well known but they do allow a certain amount of transient traffic.

All in all my choices would be SAF (docks) changi (location) then Keppel, Sentosa or RSYC. Raffles is great for teh reasons above but on the wrong side of the island.

Cheers
hopefully changi sc will get back to me,sent them an email earlier,changi sounds like the best option if we can get water,plus the changi food court is my favorite,and shops much easier in there.......perhaps you could put a word in for us ,the cat is "storm dancer" they should have our details by now at the office........plus we will definitly need your help to navigate changi night life and csc happy hour.............

is the fuel barge still located opposite the club?
cheers alex
Old 08-10-2014, 18:00   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
hopefully changi sc will get back to me,sent them an email earlier,changi sounds like the best option if we can get water,plus the changi food court is my favorite,and shops much easier in there.......perhaps you could put a word in for us ,the cat is "storm dancer" they should have our details by now at the office........plus we will definitly need your help to navigate changi night life and csc happy hour.............

is the fuel barge still located opposite the club?
cheers alex
Yes - last I checked the fuel barge was over on the Ubin side...

And yes, if nightlife were the most important factor Changi wins , hands down -

I will ping Edwin (the CSC manager) Friday night... If you send any follow up email direct it to Edwin (general manager) and feel free to drop my name, although it may not help - LOL...

He may worry you'll become a yard queen like me
Old 08-10-2014, 18:33   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes - last I checked the fuel barge was over on the Ubin side...

And yes, if nightlife were the most important factor Changi wins , hands down -

I will ping Edwin (the CSC manager) Friday night... If you send any follow up email direct it to Edwin (general manager) and feel free to drop my name, although it may not help - LOL...

He may worry you'll become a yard queen like me
thanks dan that would be great,will have to check on how your refit is going.....will bring my grinder
Old 08-10-2014, 19:56   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
thanks dan that would be great,will have to check on how your refit is going.....will bring my grinder

Probably more useful to bring a whip to get me going - LOL...

Actually I picked up the last of the equipment on this trip. I would definitely appreciate your eyes on to comment on my interior build plans - minimalist, quick, functional...

This is my first (and only hopefully) foray into cabinet making so you opinion will mean a lot to me.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-10-2014, 20:21   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Probably more useful to bring a whip to get me going - LOL...

Actually I picked up the last of the equipment on this trip. I would definitely appreciate your eyes on to comment on my interior build plans - minimalist, quick, functional...

This is my first (and only hopefully) foray into cabinet making so you opinion will mean a lot to me.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
check out boatguy30's catamaran build photos on his blog for minimalist,quick and functional, link here, will need to go to his older posts

sailingcatamarans.blogspot.com
Old 08-10-2014, 21:02   #13

Quote:
I would definitely appreciate your eyes on to comment on my interior build plans - minimalist, quick, functional...
That brings to mind memory of a German cruiser, who managed for a while a shipyard in Indonesia while building his own cruising cat.

Rudi built a ply and cardboard mockup of his cockpit and interior and held a series of parties until he perfected the design. Every time I was on board his boat, the result was clear - just the most useable, functional, liveable space you could find.

Tragedy is that, last I heard, a barge had collided with the boat in Malaysian waters making it not worth repairing.

But I commend the technique to you: hold parties etc to get the interior and cockpit layout right.

Al
Old 09-10-2014, 08:03   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450

Atol, Im returning to Singapore in a few weeks and just had rates sent to me for the marinas there for our L450 for a one week stay over. One15 will charge you S$110/day++. Keppel marina similar. Raffles was full and didn't quote. SAF Yacht club is S$110 per day weekly rate of S$616++.

We have just spend 5 weeks in Tioman, Redang, Koh Samui, Koh Tao so if you'd like some info ping me. We are presently in Koh Samui.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:28   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Atol, Im returning to Singapore in a few weeks and just had rates sent to me for the marinas there for our L450 for a one week stay over. One15 will charge you S$110/day++. Keppel marina similar. Raffles was full and didn't quote. SAF Yacht club is S$110 per day weekly rate of S$616++.

We have just spend 5 weeks in Tioman, Redang, Koh Samui, Koh Tao so if you'd like some info ping me. We are presently in Koh Samui.
thanks for the info steve i think we will use changi unless we have to make repairs.(ais not transmitting or recieving),but should be easy to fix.

just dug out my cruising guide for the s china sea,but havent had a chance to look at it yet.
we may have to do a fuel stop on the way north if the winds are light,could you reccomend where to stop at these islands assuming the wind is out the SW.
cheers alex

Tags
fees, Singapore, yacht