Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 04:38   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Simple and safe scub gear

You can spend a lot on computers and not get much, I would tell you to stay away from air integrated and especially wireless computers. If you want to spend on a good computer, get one of these
https://www.shearwater.com/

But honestly find a Scuba forum, don't go to buy at a dive shop, except maybe a tech only shop, there is just an enormous amount of nearly junk way overpriced recreational junk out there.
Be sort of like going to West Marine to buy your battery bank or something
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 06:55   #17

That shearwater petrel is a beautiful piece of kit but is it not overkill for the average diver? My last dive computer (suunto Gecko $150)was lost over the side of a dive rib, I would be very upset if I lost a $700+ dive computer.....

You really need to figure out where and what type of diving you want to do before buying any quantity of dive gear.

Don't go to first dive shop and buy everything the sales guy recommends is solid advice but don't get hooked up on the idea only buy teckie gear there is some good "recreational" gear out there.
Alexphd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 07:17   #18

It is a life support system so I figure it depends on how much you think your life is worth. Stick with the well known brands - Oceanic, Scubapro
peter.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 07:29   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Petryl and Predator are very good "kit", very good, reliable computers that you will likely never outgrow.
But recreational computers can cost just as much, the one discussed for example
http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Vyper-N.../dp/B0000DCW3C
and if fact can cost much more

For a recreational diver who is cost conscious a computer like this one is all you will need
Mares Puck Wrist Computer 414117

We are actually saying the same thing, my point was only if your spending big bucks, get a "real" computer, but you don't need to spend big bucks, just to swim in shallow water and look at the pretty fishes
Old 20-11-2015, 07:39   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
But honestly find a Scuba forum...
Good advice. ScubaBoard is huge and extremely active.

http://www.scubaboard.com
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 07:55   #21

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Greetings Sea Hunter -- Scuba and spearfishing? It's great to have dive gear when cruising. It allows for easy bottom maintenance; anchor checking; and, tool retrieval for we who are more klutzy, just to mention a few advantages. Scuba and spearfishing is almost the definition of shooting fish in a barrel. I hope you enjoy spearfishing while free-diving. Give those curious, tasty teleosts a sporting chance.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 09:24   #22

Once you have finished all that diving, you can upload the profiles to this:

https://subsurface-divelog.org/docum...ive-computers/

philtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 12:08   #23

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Did several web searches and none of them listed a price. Anyone know what these things cost.
I bought mine used for $1500. I think they run just north of 2.5k new.

Oh and +1 for any product made by shearwater. I have owned a number of their computers and my petrel is the best yet.
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 18:33   #24

Boat: Islander 32, shoal draft, tall rig

To begin, i have been a scuba instructor since 1967. I have more than 10,000 dives. I am certified to repair most dive equipment and compressors. I am also a cruising sailor. I am 70.

That said i do not carry my own gear anymore. I rent when i need it. No maintenance or storage.

Do not buy an intigrated console/computer. If one part fails you are out all of it until repaired.

Buy your own mask, fins and snorkel, wetsuit? You will use them all the time and rentals may not fit right.

If you get your own regulator get a piston over diaphraghm. Sherwood or Scubapro. I used the same scubapro mark 5 for over 20 years with almost no repair. I can do a complete rebuild in 10 minutes. Rent everything else. Let them maintain it. Tanks need yearly visual inspections and periodic hydostatic inspection. At your expense.

With practice you will be able to free dive to 30 ft. All day. I even scrub my hull with no tank.

Good luck, happy cruising.
1oldbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 11:45   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I did a bit of research on this. We are novices. We do not plan to dive more than 40 to 50 feet and we do not want to deal with the filters, scrubbers etc. We opted for a Brownie gas powered system with 3 regulators & 60 foot down-line. It is easy to use, hours on a tank of gas and no need to visit the dive shop for a tank fill. You still need the certification but with all dives restricted to shallow, you have a lot of latitude about the time & depth.

We have bought most everything else at Leisure Pro on line. About this time of year they start running Christmas specials.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 06:29   #26

Boat: Albin A25

Surplus military compressors make some of the best, longest lasting dive compressors. Jim Sheldon of Sheldon Sporting Goods, is the foremost Guru on these units. The down side is parts are harder to find. The up side is these military compressors are known to last 1000's of hours. Jim sells a rebuildable filter/dryer assembly which saves on $ and space.
Srqdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 07:22   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldbuzzard View Post
To begin, i have been a scuba instructor since 1967. I have more than 10,000 dives. I am certified to repair most dive equipment and compressors. I am also a cruising sailor. I am 70.

That said i do not carry my own gear anymore. I rent when i need it. No maintenance or storage.

Do not buy an intigrated console/computer. If one part fails you are out all of it until repaired.

Buy your own mask, fins and snorkel, wetsuit? You will use them all the time and rentals may not fit right.

If you get your own regulator get a piston over diaphraghm. Sherwood or Scubapro. I used the same scubapro mark 5 for over 20 years with almost no repair. I can do a complete rebuild in 10 minutes. Rent everything else. Let them maintain it. Tanks need yearly visual inspections and periodic hydostatic inspection. At your expense.

With practice you will be able to free dive to 30 ft. All day. I even scrub my hull with no tank.

Good luck, happy cruising.

I just got the kid to take 15 or 20 tanks and several duffle bags of SCUBA "stuff" to storage, I really don't know what to do with most of it.
I / we are / were tech divers, mostly Cave. I'll sell the scooters, especially my Magnus, and I think we will take masks, BC's, and an open water reg set on the boat with us, but not tanks and or the cave lights etc.
I hate diving with a single aluminum 80, they are an abomination, but we all started there so I guess I'll get used to weights again.

Compressors, tanks etc just take up way too much room that I just can't justify. I have a home made Hooka with a little electric compressor and 75' hose that will go for hull cleaning etc
Old 23-11-2015, 08:40   #28

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Beware of the Scuba Pro regulators in cold water. They do not have a good reputation for cold water diving. Partner had one dump 7/8's of 120 cubic ft tank in about 60 seconds. Out of air at 90 ft. Froze his lips pretty good in the incident.

The Shearwater computer is a fine piece of gear. This summer I made it my very first dive computer .
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 08:45   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Most regs have "ice kits" if that is you kind of diving, for years and years the top of the line Scuba Pro regs have been considered to be the best reg if money is no object, but for just 100' or so look at the pretty fish diving, sure they are nice, but not at all necessary.
I've never ice dove myself, but love this video, see if you can figure it out.

Old 23-11-2015, 10:56   #30

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Most regs have "ice kits" if that is you kind of diving, for years and years the top of the line Scuba Pro regs have been considered to be the best reg if money is no object, but for just 100' or so look at the pretty fish diving, sure they are nice, but not at all necessary.
I've never ice dove myself, but love this video, see if you can figure it out.

Living where I do and being involved with the diving community Scuba Pro is not on the list for reasons mentioned. I think I have posted the below picture in the past and money is no object for the serious diver up here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diver in Hole distance.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	113636  
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear