Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 15:07   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Interesting.
As far as I know, unless commanded otherwise (right step), American & Canadian military manuals require stepping out with the left foot.
Shhhh. Don't ask. Don't tell.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 15:36   #47

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
It might have to do with the fact that a sailor or an officer might have a cutlass or sword hanging on the left side, so stepping out with the right foot and using the right hand on the rail for support would allow the left hand to hold the scabbard and keep it from tangling with the legs. It might also be, in the case of boarding a hostile ship, a sword armed sailor or officer would tend to advance with the right foot forward as a natural motion to keep the guarded side forward, whereas someone with a boarding pike or bayoneted musket would advance with the left..

As far as marching drill goes, most US, British and European armies based theirs on the Prussians and so step off with the left. The Spanish military on the other hand steps off with the right.
Old 29-06-2010, 15:55   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Interesting.
As far as I know, unless commanded otherwise (right step), American & Canadian military manuals require stepping out with the left foot.
Here is the exact instruction:

Quote:
Disaster will follow if you step onto a boat with your Left Foot first.
This (and others) can be found here:

Nautical_Superstitions
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 20:03   #49

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
You are correct skipmac.... did not notice that this thread was strictly for entertainment so I will not comment on your logic...... fair winds
It wasn't originally in this section, it seems to have moved during the night, it was originally in the Challenges section (brainstorming etc), as that seemed the most appropriate to me since I am interested in scientifically examining superstitious/paranormal/religious types of things. I think often these things are based on some grain of truth or historic event etc, as we are seeing teased out in the discussion on the right foot thing, which might have military origins. Also, sometimes superstitions, folk remedies, etc do work but not necessarily for the reasons people attribute to them. E.g. perhaps the more barbaric Equatorial initiation rites have in fact safeguarded ships by disposing of the less resilient sailors who could be a liability when the chips are down!
Old 29-06-2010, 20:56   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
It wasn't originally in this section, it seems to have moved during the night, it was originally in the Challenges section (brainstorming etc), as that seemed the most appropriate to me since I am interested in scientifically examining superstitious/paranormal/religious types of things.
The thread moved? During the night? Seems like something paranormal going on here.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 21:14   #51

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
I suspect magic. It must be one of those pesky Finns.
Old 05-07-2010, 21:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Being Scandinavian I can assure you it is Finns and not Danes, Norwegians, and Swedes Faroe Islanders and Icelanders.

LOL, I'll have to tell my Finnish Wife that....she's more of a sailor than I am...
Old 05-07-2010, 22:11   #53

Curiously, the relationship between the Finns and the Vikings was often not a bad one, the Vikings being pragmatic enough to appreciate the supposed Finnish gift of magik, particularly that which could control the wind. With the coming of Christianity to Scandinavia, that changed somewhat and I suspect a good deal of superstition concerning Finns began at that time.
Old 10-07-2010, 17:54   #54

Boat: a sailing boat
Well, '... Christianity coming to Scandinavia ...' is a gross overstatement. Yes, there were some attempts but mostly failed ones. Come to Sweden at midsummer and have a look yourselves ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote