Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 08:58   #1

Boat: Hunter Marine, Hunter 28.5
Sea of Cortez: Best of

We are definitely cruising the sea of Cortez for a year or two starting next month... I've heard of Puerto Escondido in Loreto and so far that is the only anchorage that is on the list after Ensenada...

If you know of any great anchorages or marinas on Baja pacific coast or in the sea of Cortez please share!! If we should avoid any please please share!! We would like to know about marinas for a 30 footer too... I need Internet while at the docks.

Our ideal anchorage, marina would be in a lush vegetation area rather than barren rock and sand... It's a tall order in the desert but it must exist.

Also, we snorkel, scuba dive, fish with lines, spears and bow. We take tons of pictures above and below water.

We also would consider buying, renting home or property so if there are good areas for this please mention... We are far from rich so would be looking for affordable simple safe living with high speed Internet and low drama!

Thank you in advance!

(and yes I have already gooogled extensively, looking for recommendations)

S/V Joyen's Dream
SuddenVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Sea of Cortez - best of

Lush vegetation? across the sea on the mainland it begins--San Blas and south. Nice anchorages? San Juanico, San Fransico, Caleta Partida, Conception Bay, Honeymoon Cove. High-speed internet? Maybe Cabo (horrible anchoring); San Jose (horribly expensive marina; no anchoring); La Paz (best cruising port between San Diego and Panama; several marinas, all services, anchoring sometimes bad, usually OK).
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:33   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine, Hunter 28.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz
Lush vegetation? across the sea on the mainland it begins--San Blas and south. Nice anchorages? San Juanico, San Fransico, Caleta Partida, Conception Bay, Honeymoon Cove. High-speed internet? Maybe Cabo (horrible anchoring); San Jose (horribly expensive marina; no anchoring); La Paz (best cruising port between San Diego and Panama; several marinas, all services, anchoring sometimes bad, usually OK).
Thank you for all tips!! Using google and google earth I was thinking mainland too for lush vegetation... Seems as though the nasty bugs come with the veg...

S/V Joyen's Dream
SuddenVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:38   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenVibe View Post
We are definitely cruising the sea of Cortez for a year or two starting next month... I've heard of Puerto Escondido in Loreto and so far that is the only anchorage that is on the list after Ensenada...

If you know of any great anchorages or marinas on Baja pacific coast or in the sea of Cortez please share!! If we should avoid any please please share!! We would like to know about marinas for a 30 footer too... I need Internet while at the docks.

Our ideal anchorage, marina would be in a lush vegetation area rather than barren rock and sand... It's a tall order in the desert but it must exist.

Also, we snorkel, scuba dive, fish with lines, spears and bow. We take tons of pictures above and below water.

We also would consider buying, renting home or property so if there are good areas for this please mention... We are far from rich so would be looking for affordable simple safe living with high speed Internet and low drama!

Thank you in advance!

(and yes I have already gooogled extensively, looking for recommendations)

S/V Joyen's Dream
if you are seeking lush vegetation, dont cruise a desert. mexico is a desert until after baja, and sea of cortes is in that desert. you will find little lush vegetation. there are cruising guides for baja-- one is free and located in down wind marine, 2804 canon st, sd.
chris frost, the used to be owner of downwind, before sdmx purchased them, gives assistance for cruisers including mail drop and info. stop by on a weds by 1000 for coffee and chatting with folks about your big adventure-- they have a lot of good info and help for cruisers and wanna be cruisers. for lush vegetation, one needs to sail further than the reaches of the desert--- mexican riviera comes to mind... manzanillo, acapulco, places south of mazatlan. there is a lot of good culture to not be missed in those desert areas--some of the best and least expensive food i have eaten is there.
what month are you planning your adventure?? there is a hurrycame season here on west coast--might be a good idea to avoid that--is same timing as the hurrycame season in the gulf--june thru oct. northers in baja are april until hurrycame season--winds howl down sea of cortes as the desert heats up for summer. ...
for internets--wifi is there and so is mextel--can get a card with removable sim chip for use outside usa. is cheaper. also fone service--mextel... simcards ar wre,movable and each lil country has these services. is almost like real life only while travelling.
if ypu are going to cruise sea of cortes, ther ear marinas--san carlos, lapaz, puerto escondido, baja......many places-- you really need to get a cruising guide for info. go to downwind marine-- they will help to guide you.. sounds like you are just beginning your research... noonsite is a good resource for cruisers, as well. has much of the necessary info needed for cruising safely.
go to conapesca for fishing license for mexico. they donot allow spear guns. they donot allow many kinds of fishing we assume are free, in mex is considered poaching-- be AWARE OF THE REGULATIONS AND BE SAFE. NEED A CRUISING GUIDE. IMPORTANT.
mexicannavy will board you in mexican waters ND DO AN INSPECTION FOR UNLAWFUL ITEMS SUCH AS SPEARGUNS, FISHING EQUIPMENT WITHOUT A LICENSE, CONTRABAND..... get the license before you go to mexico-- get it in person. takes 5 minuets.
you DO realize that cruising season in mexico begins in november,, when hurrycame season ends???? that late april and may are NOT the cruising season in baja as there are northers--winds that occasionally hit 70 kts blowing down sea of cortez as desert warms up???/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:39   #5

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Have you tried Latitude38.com? Richard the publisher/owner has been going down to Cabo every year since the mid '70's. He used to sponser the Sea of Cortez sail week. But now his daughter runs the Baha-ha=ha rally. Do try to hook up with this fun filled rally of 150+ boats that starts in SD.
The Pacific side after Ensenda has three safe anchorages: in ther lee of cedros island. Turtle Bay which is a former fishing villige with fuel from a pier, and Isla Santa Margarita a remote anchorage with a couple of fishing shacks. I've heard that Mexico was going to try to put marinas and such on this coast but am unsure of their progress as there is no water or electricity. Children above the 6th grade level are sent to La Paz to futher their education.

Cabo San Lucas is crazy with sport fishing and Condo sales. La Paz is the hub of the Baha and has marinas and boatyards. I think San Carlos, on the East side of the Sea is one of few marina areas north of Mazitlan. The rest of the Sea of Cortez is very remote, cell phones? internet? Good luck.

Green is an unknown color in the Sea of Cortez.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:48   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I stayed in Guaymas on the mainland side a while back about easter time. There were these nasty tiny little jellyfish everywhere. It's like a million little ant bites but I heard that they are seasonal. Also easter is like a Mexican holiday and very crowded so get yourself situated before then. We drove so that's all I know. Have fun. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:54   #7

go to downwind marine-- they have had a cruising guide to baja for decades. is a good place to find info. is the only place in sd to get info. they have LOTS of info. guess what-- downwind has been a sponsor of baja haha-that is in november, to kick off the start of cruising season in mexico. ther eis a lot of info given ouut free by lat 38 and by downwind marine. you live in sd-- go to downwind if you are serious about cruising baja.
Old 18-03-2011, 09:59   #8

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
go to downwind marine-- they have had a cruising guide to baja for decades.
I assume you are referring to Charlies Charts ?

Buying it directly from his site might be cheaper, it is certainly better than Amazon (where we usually buy our books).

Just Google Charliescharts

-Sven
Old 18-03-2011, 11:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post

Buying it directly from his site might be cheaper, it is certainly better than Amazon (where we usually buy our books).

Just Google Charliescharts

-Sven

NOT charlies--this is a NO CHARGE FREEBIE, made by chris frost and the good folks at downwind marine for cruisers.

downwind marine in pont loma/shelterisland area is renown for its assistance to cruisers and on this coast their FREE cruisers guide to baja is a MUST to have. DOWNWIND MARINE : 2804 CANON ST, sd 92106. CHRIS FROST is the man to see- tell him i sent ye.... he knows me as karen.

this year's copy is yellow/goldenrod in color. is FREE.

no charge. dont even have to buy anything.

btw--i see you guys are leaving from san diego--- would not hurt you to go into the store for a bit on a weds for donuts and coffee--also FREE and some cruiser chat in person with others having done the trip in days past. doesnt hurt. is a good thing.
dont even have to buy anyhting...
Old 18-03-2011, 11:35   #10

Thumps up for Downwind Marine. They are solid people over there. Anyone going through San Diego should stop in.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 11:35   #11

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
NOT charlies--this is a NO CHARGE FREEBIE, made by chris frost and the good folks at downwind marine for cruisers.
Ok, I think I may have seen that there too. It's a pamphlet, right ? Think we might even have a copy on board that we picked up a while back.

Thanks for the clarification.

-Sven
Old 18-03-2011, 11:36   #12

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Thanks for the Downwind Marine info.
They have their own cruising guide. There's a tab on the top of their home page, I just printed it out.
It's not really comprehensive but it's more than I had and it was free!
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 11:59   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41

I spent last season down in La Paz and loved it. I am not an expert by any means but I can give a few tips -- We stayed at Marina de La Paz and loved it. Not to say the other places aren't nice I just loved Marina de La Paz. Great people there. The best guide book for the Sea is this one Sea of Cortez - A Cruiser's Guidebook. It has the best graphics and is the easiest to use. I also like the Gerry guides in fact I might have an extra set to sell. There is so much to do in the Sea of Cortez that it is hard to explain in a reasonable length post. When we were there we made a habit of stopping at the water slides at the entrance to La Paz on the way in and out. We had a number of kids on the boat but it was good fun to dive off the board or to go on the slide. It is free. Good holding for the anchorage but no protection. Bring your fishing gear b/c the fishing at different times of the year is fabulous.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 12:59   #14

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Charlies Charts is getting a little bit outdated as Charly passed away over twelve years ago.

I agree with all that's been said about Downwind. They go out of there way to undercharge anything sold at WM and make their profit on volumn. They also monitor SSB/Ham and if you leave them your credit card number, they'll order and arrange delivery of any boat parts. Always stop in and see if there is anything that needs to be delivered south.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 13:10   #15

the downwind info is the lil stuff that makes a difference----btw--if you insist on sailing to baja this nextmonth-- check with me--we can buddy boat, as i am not going to sail this trip during the sailing season for it. i will be leaving around april 1.

Tags
sea of cortez