Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2019, 21:09   #1

Scuba Compressor Rental?

Planning some charters in the future around the Caribbean and French Polynesia. I've been diving around both of these areas quite a bit with typical dive shops, but when we do some longer charters in the areas it would be really helpful to have a compressor on board instead of having to go back to the dive shop for fills or carry multiple tanks. Chances of finding a bareboat rental with a built in compressor are probably zilch, so wondering if anyone has seen compressors for rent before.
glocklt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 21:18   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Scuba Compressor Rental?

An expensive bit of gear to leave in the hands of someone you don't know and they do take a lot of maintenance so I would be surprised if someone would !
Old 24-07-2019, 21:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
An expensive bit of gear to leave in the hands of someone you don't know and they do take a lot of maintenance so I would be surprised if someone would !
That's what I was thinking as well haha, but they rent us their boats, so .
Old 25-07-2019, 23:09   #4
Marine Service Provider

I tried renting compressors a few years back and it flopped because nobody wanted to place a security deposit. And there was no way that I was going to let about $3500 go out the door with no security if it didn't come back. One additional problem was that shipping was a killer so I only had local boaters that actually could afford it.

If you find someone that does it, list them and I will see what their secret is.

rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 13:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcontrera View Post
I tried renting compressors a few years back and it flopped because nobody wanted to place a security deposit. And there was no way that I was going to let about $3500 go out the door with no security if it didn't come back. One additional problem was that shipping was a killer so I only had local boaters that actually could afford it.

If you find someone that does it, list them and I will see what their secret is.
Ah man, well at least you tried. Crazy that people weren't willing to offer a deposit. I'm definitely willing if someone rents near a place we're going to bareboat charter!
Old 28-07-2019, 19:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The small compressors that run on a 3-5hp gas engine take what seems like forever to fill a standard dive tank. I took one on a trip with about 6 people, but not all making every dive. Someone had to babysit the compressor about 8 hours a day.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 19:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The small compressors that run on a 3-5hp gas engine take what seems like forever to fill a standard dive tank. I took one on a trip with about 6 people, but not all making every dive. Someone had to babysit the compressor about 8 hours a day.
yeah, that's pretty slow! For a trip to French Polynesia, we were thinking of 8 people on a cat, probably 4-5 divers. Sounds like we need to figure out our stops where they have tank refills for this reason and lack of compressors to rent.
Old 28-07-2019, 19:56   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
One of the things you give up for portability is filling capacity. Our little MCH6 may only cost $2700 but can only fill a standard 80 scuba tank in about 15-20 minutes. So, with having to fill six tanks, you are looking at 3 hours minimum.

Old 28-07-2019, 20:28   #9

I just noticed this company lists "small compressors" as part of their rental equipment:

https://www.tahitidivemanagement.com/dive-equipement

Reaching out to them to find out specifics!
Old 28-07-2019, 22:05   #10
Marine Service Provider

Sorry ... I meant two hours minimum for filling six tanks. My high school math failed me.

Tags
compressor, Cuba, scuba