Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2013, 18:10   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Savannah, GA xmas

Hi all,

On our way south we would like to hit Savannah for a week long layover (Xmas/ny)... We are asking the community to chime in with some info - we are just assuming savannah would be fun this time of year.

What is a good place to put in to most enjoy the season? Also, what kind of celebrations and activities are there to enjoy that time of year?

Kindest regards.

Z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 20:57   #2

I grew up in savannah. There are docks downtown on river street. Loud but right in the action and great for people watching. Some are run by the Hyatt and the others are by the city I believe. There are also docks on the other side of the river at the westin. They are much quieter and there is a ferry that runs every 15 minutes to the other side. There are plenty of other marinas outside of downtown. I recommend Bahia Blue. We used to keep our boat there, very nice marina. Check out Tubbys across the street for some great food.

As far as stuff going on they have activities going on downtown every day in the time around Christmas. If I was visiting I'd want to stay downtown for sure. It's beautiful and a real blast. Be sure to check out City Market and get a slice from Vinnies.

Enjoy.
Buylow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 09:41   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Savannah, GA xmas

The downtown docks can be bumpy from wakes at times. Last time I heard they were also restricted in the amount of time you could stay there, but I don't have any current info on that. You might check ActiveCaptain.

I like staying at the Isle of Hope. Nice marina, nice folks, nice area. Good restaurant in the neighborhood, marina has a courtesy car available. If you want to check out Savannah, which has some gorgeous areas, you could rent a car.
Old 17-11-2013, 10:44   #4

Isle of hope is a real beautiful area also. My wife considers that the real savannah.
Her parents have a place on the herb river and we regularly see transients anchored there.

No doubt the docks downtown can be rolly. Downtown is just down river from the third busiest port in the country (it seems there is a lot of dispute about the ranking of ports.) So there are ships and tugs coming through at all times of the day. The current is also quite strong at times because of the dredging.

In any case I still thinks it's worth docking there if just for a day or two. If your going to check out the local bars, of which there are many, it's nice to just walk back to the boat. It will be slammed down there for new years, and if you want to try to get a space I would try now.

If you make it soon the parade of lights is on Saturday after thanksgiving. Another great time and you get a free room at the westin, free dockage at the westin, and as many $100 additional rooms as needed (these rooms are usually about $300) for taking part. We'll be there in my parents boat. We've done it every year since it started around 10 years ago.

I've done quite a bit of traveling but I still rank savannah near the top. Of course I may be biased, lol.
Buylow12 is offline   Reply With Quote