Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-01-2015, 20:36   #16

Re: Same old story

@Randyonr: That's hard to do being a combat veteran of the Army of Marine Corps. The Air Force and Navy rarely, if ever take our type for an inter-service transfer. They're two different worlds and our world is the one I don't want to be in anymore. I've never thought about the Coast Guard because I never really hear much about it, but that could be a good thing. I don't know, maybe I should take RTB's advice and just take a breathe and think about it. I feel like I've taken enough breathes at this point. Although I can't deny that taking the advice of more experienced (older) people has never done me wrong. For me, it's **** or get off the pot at this point, and I'm feeling the urge to run as fast as I can without wiping!

101gunner91b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 20:39   #17

To everyone: I really appreciate the help so far, honestly. I will definitely be keeping in touch. Oh and to the gentleman inquiring about me being in the 101st. Yes I was, I crewed a CH-47 on the left gun in Afghanistan. I'll be a Screaming Eagle for life!

101gunner91b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 21:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard. I'm wondering if you would be well served by what was suggested above, one of the immersion courses in England. It's a relatively short time investment, and you'd certainly have found out if you enjoy sailing, find out about sea sickness, learn about sailboats and have a structured re-entry phase to civilian life. It would also give you a break and a chance to plan the rest of your life in a much lower stress environment.

I understand what the other posters are getting at who are saying in effect that for another 10 yrs. of your life in servitude, and especially if you're able to invest portions of your pay, you could be sitting pretty at age 29.

Actually, I think you're facing a hard decision. I wish you the best of that, sometimes it aint easy, and you just have to jump.

Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 17:17   #19

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Magic 44ft

First of all thank you for serving! And secondly you have the main ingredient, you want it bad enough, to me its not overeaching, most people spend their whole life wanting a dream and not doing it, so get on the water as soon as you can, when I started I got whatever sailboat I could (a half sunk Alberg 37) and work on it till I learned, then slowly looked for what I wanted, but I made sure I was on the water!!!! I learned from anybody that gave me 5 minutes, and took every free time I had to read, learn and get on the water. Just go for it!

Jeanneau Sun Magic 44
Prflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: