Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 06:49   #1

Boat: CSY 44' Grace
SailO

Some have asked me to post the SailO rules and a sample card. Here they are:

SailO is a game like bingo. You place beads, pennies, or just about anything that will not fly away over your spot when a word is said over the VHF. You can also get credit for an inference, such as, if you had Radio Check on one of your squares and someone said "can anyone hear me" you would get credit.

What is needed:
Blank cards - we make them up on the computer and they look like this
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/OWNER%7E1.PET/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
<if someone shows me how to insert a picture from my desktop I will put one here>

Beans, pennies, or other means of covering the squares

A VHF radio

A busy anchorage

How the game is played:
You write in common phrases said on the VHF into each one of your squares on the card. Don't worry if someone copies your phrases just don't put them in the same positions on the card. You can use boat names, people's names, or virtually anything that can be heard on the VHF.

Listen to the VHF and place your pennies over the squares. Usually a prize will help keep kids motivated; e.g., whoever wins SailO - picks the movie tonight, does not have to do dishes, gets the hammock, etc.

You can even play this across multiple boats. The first one to get an entire row or column covered goes on the VHF and states their boat name and then calls out SailO. It works particularly well during a radio net (use dual watch on your VHF so you can call SailO on another channel and not interrupt the radio net).

Remember - having fun is what we are out there to do. Don't let running the boat get in the way of the fun.

Ps. You have to give me credit if you use this game. Just like boatball, I made it up.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:59   #2

Boat: CSY 44' Grace
You can see the card for SailO here

Sailing with Grace