Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 15:25   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Sailing books to help get through the winter

The Wreck Of the Mary Deare is an old classic, and if I remember correctly, there is a sailboat involved near the last part of the book.

The movie featured Gary Cooper and Charlton Heston.

http://www.amazon.com/Wreck-Mary-Dea.../dp/033034241X
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 15:44   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
I recently finished reading The Shipkiller, for the second time. Last time was about 35 years ago. It was as good as I remembered. This time, as I was reading it, I wondered if the non-sailor would understand all the author was talking about when referencing sailing and the related terminology. I thought the author must be an experienced sailor or found someone who was to help him with the book.
I read the Ship Killer the first time in of all places Yuma, AZ and really wanted to learn about sailing.

The book is awesome and a bit far fetched the way he was able to elude power boats etc due to fog ................ but believable at the same time.

I'm reading it now and the doc is on the attack! actually he's positioning himself for the first attack.

That Swan 38 was a pretty awesome boat back in the day.

SWAN 38 S&S sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The Captain of the Super Tanker Leviathan is a great character also.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Shipkiller.../dp/1605984655
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:14   #48

The Gathering Wind - The story of the tall ship Bounty that met its demise a few years ago in Hurricane Sandy. I'm sure most here followed the story during and after the sinking. The question most asked was why did the captain set sail into a hurricane? The answer seems to be "to make a deadline".

Bounty needed to be in St Petersburg, FL in two weeks. The only way to make it from New London, CT was to set sail toward a monster hurricane. Only two people could have made that call - the captain or the owner. One is dead and the other plead the Fifth during the USGC investigation.

Much of what was discussed in practically every sailing forum is in the book but there are also interviews with the crew, the boatyard personnel who worked on the ship prior to setting sail and others with inside knowledge. I had thought the crew voluntarily abandoned the ship into the liferafts. Wrong! They were thrown from the ship while still on deck, preparing to abandon ship.

Lots of interesting information I hadn't heard before, including some that corrected the misinformation strewn about online back then.
Old 19-02-2015, 11:23   #49
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

I'm currently reading "The Martian". Yes, it's science fiction. And no, there is no actual sailing in it. (Although, there is almost as much sailing as there was in "All is Lost"). It's a story about a man stranded on Mars after a failed NASA mission, but it contains many of the same elements of a "survival-at-sea" story, and much of the same equipment. There are solar cells, water makers and batteries to maintenance and repair, and there is fear and regret. That pretty much sums up my sailing experiences.

This book may be too technical for some, but it is based on real science. There are no warp drives and no worm holes. Just lots of surviving through problem solving.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:45   #50

Boat: Bayfield 36

I think I might have the perfect remedy for your winter blues. 'Quest and Crew' and Quest on the Thorny Path' are guaranteed to take you to warm tropical places. They are the first two books of the Quest Series that are available on Amazon. Both sailing books are humorous true accounts of transforming a 1986 Bayfield 36 cutter rigged sloop into better than bristol condition and sailing down to the Caribbean. Come along with Wendy and me as we experience the awesome majesty of the open ocean.
Best regards and fair winds,
David Beaupre
Attached Images

David Beaupre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 03:25   #51

Just finished "Sea Lord" by Bernard Cornwell, mentioned in an earlier post.
Great thriller based around sailing a 38 footer, I devoured it in two sittings.
He's written four other sailing based thrillers, which I'm now downloading. Cheap-ish on Amazon.
He Sails a Cornish gaffer himself.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 04:22   #52

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria

I have posted two collections of books about sailing on my blog. One is about fictional stories based on sailing, the other is true stories about sailing.

Novels here: http://aleriasadventures.blogspot.ie...g-fiction.html

True stories here: Aleria's Great Adventures: Top Ten Books about Sailing (non-fiction)

Looks like winter in the states is just not going away...you may need the extended lists!

Lots of good additions in this thread. Thanks everyone.
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 07:10   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

I haven't read this one yet, but my boyfriend has, and if he reads a book the whole way through it must be interesting. "The Black Ship" by Dudley Pope which talks about a mutiny in the British Royal Navy in the 1700's. It sounded very interesting, and makes me wonder why rough captains are considered "Captain Bligh" instead of "Captain Pigot."

I had also picked up "The Sea Wolf" by Jack London. I didn't read any of the book, but the preface talks about how Jack London was a sailor, which struck my interest even more.

I was also wondering if there's a thread to discuss books unrelated to sailing?
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 08:55   #54

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter79 View Post
I haven't read this one yet, but my boyfriend has, and if he reads a book the whole way through it must be interesting. "The Black Ship" by Dudley Pope which talks about a mutiny in the British Royal Navy in the 1700's. It sounded very interesting, and makes me wonder why rough captains are considered "Captain Bligh" instead of "Captain Pigot."

I had also picked up "The Sea Wolf" by Jack London. I didn't read any of the book, but the preface talks about how Jack London was a sailor, which struck my interest even more.

I was also wondering if there's a thread to discuss books unrelated to sailing?
anything by jack london is worth reading. as a side note, my fathers uncle knew jack london and traveled to the Yukon and dug for gold with him

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:01   #55

Non fiction:An Island to Oneself, Tom Neale
Fiction: Wind From the Carolinas: Wilder

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:05   #56

Brian Jacques - Castaways of the flying Dutchman

Also many of his books for youth (and those who refuse to grow up) have nautical themes. Pick up a book from his Redwall series and I suspect you wont put it down until you complete it.
If you have kids you would be doing them a great service by buying them these books (nobody has to know you read them cover to cover while your children sleep. ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Eoghan_Roe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 13:07   #57

Boat: Cascade 36

I'll throw in another vote for the Aubrey/Maturin Series. I just finished my second time through all of them including "21". I can't tell you how much I enjoy those books. The first time I finished "Blue at the Mizzen" I was almost in a funk for a while. It was like I lost a bus load of friends off a cliff, never to hear from them again.

I plan on going through some of the other books in this thread but I wouldn't be surprised at all if I go back for a third reading of Aubrey/Maturin in another year or so. Just too great of a read for me.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:04   #58

you funny ! Hey have you read Farley Mowat -The Boat that Wouldnt Float?- and Captain Voss book- 10,000 miles in a Canoe - my favorites
kim r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 15:29   #59

Boat: Little Harbor 38

I second "Wind from the Carolinas"

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:51   #60

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim r View Post
you funny ! Hey have you read Farley Mowat -The Boat that Wouldnt Float?- and Captain Voss book- 10,000 miles in a Canoe - my favorites
No but it sounds interesting. Thanks!
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, sail, sailing