Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2012, 18:42   #46
Registered User
 
Gemini Dreams's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida
Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams
Posts: 110
Re: Ripping DVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
You're talking about live performance prices. You can buy a DVD for $15 bucksf, watch it as many times as you like, and even loan it or give it away. What's the problem with that?

http://640k.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads...1/dvdwarn1.jpg

My point is this is an open forum. It is illegal to copy copyrighted material for any purpose and a public post of admission of guilt is hilarious. (The odds of ever being processed for the crime is small.) TIVO and all its similars are also illegal if you cross the thin line given by the fine print. The approval of the mods was surprising. Maybe mainstream acceptance has changed but just because you called ahead to let the bank know you were coming to rob them doesn't mean it is okay. If you have 600 movies on your hard drive that is 600 offenses of the crime.

Yes all the software is available to pirate the booty, you can even download the passwords to pirate the pirating software. But if you don't care then why are you wasting your time physically copying a disc when there are places that you can get them FREE, ALL READY for the hard drive.

w
__________________

__________________
Albin Vega 1812
By the way... where is that button to block the frivolous posters with irrelevant and unsolicited information from posting unnecessary time consuming text within a simple inquiry?
Gemini Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 18:52   #47
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Dreams

http://640k.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads...1/dvdwarn1.jpg

My point is this is an open forum. It is illegal to copy copyrighted material for any purpose and a public post of admission of guilt is hilarious. (The odds of ever being processed for the crime is small.) TIVO and all its similars are also illegal if you cross the thin line given by the fine print. The approval of the mods was surprising. Maybe mainstream acceptance has changed but just because you called ahead to let the bank know you were coming to rob them doesn't mean it is okay. If you have 600 movies on your hard drive that is 600 offenses of the crime.

Yes all the software is available to pirate the booty, you can even download the passwords to pirate the pirating software. But if you don't care then why are you wasting your time physically copying a disc when there are places that you can get them FREE, ALL READY for the hard drive.

w
You must also understand that this is an international forum. FBI is just in the movies for most of the world

We took a membership with a DVD rental chain in Trinidad and rented dozens of DVDs during our stay there. Each and every one of them was a copy. Official DVD rental chain. The world is big and most of it is different from what you know as "home".

cheers,
Nick.
__________________

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 21:50   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,056
Re: Ripping DVD's

Actually Sara...Since you perhaps officially and formally have just rendered a fporum position on the issue, I must complement you (the corporate you) for being so generous as to allow the discussion of a topic which other more lenient forums often totally ban, as ay discussion of copyright and digital rights managements usually includes copy prevention schemes and the mention of products which defeat them.
Other forums see that as possible conspiracy to commit copyright theft and refuse to allow any of it to be discussed. From CF's penultimate "BE NICE" policy, I would have assume that any discussion of how to (arguably) steal, and any discussion of (arguably) stealing in the past, would have been nuked by mods.
And then again, since you can buy any "Disney" DVD for a buck in Shegzen, while Disney says they sell for $20 and these are all counterfiets...one might also expect any mention of Shengzhen to be banned as well.

It's so hard to tell the players with a scorecard.

But I must say, having moved most of my music into a (ROFLMAO) large memory card thta can now play some 800 albums without a repeat song for two months...I understand that I am legally required to keep the original media but that's becoming an albatross. And yet, if I shred it...what a crime THAT is, the media and artwork deserve to live. What to do, what to do? The law says do something that is against nature. One of the USSC justices, Judge Learned Hand, had something to say about that. To the effect that if the laws do not give the reasonable man a reasonable remedy, they should not be surprised when he takes up another action.

That's the position that the RIAA and their rich chronies have put us all in. And every time a band sues for accounting fraud and gets a huge judgement proving it happened to the artists as well as the public....Thoreau. Or, the villagers on the way to Dr.F.'s castle.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 22:19   #49
Registered User
 
red_sky's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, Canukistan
Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl
Posts: 118
Images: 1
Re: Ripping DVD's

In case you feel slightly off about your mp3 collection: The Problem with Music
__________________
Any way the winds blows, doesn't really matter... to me
red_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 01:04   #50
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Valdez Alaska & points beyond
Boat: 36' Cascade
Posts: 59
Images: 1
Re: Ripping DVD's

What a scary thread, just rip-it-for-me__dvd-decrypter__shrink_done!
__________________
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 02:35   #51
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,757
Re: Ripping DVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Dreams View Post
My point is this is an open forum. It is illegal to copy copyrighted material for any purpose and a public post of admission of guilt is hilarious. (The odds of ever being processed for the crime is small.) . . . The approval of the mods was surprising. Maybe mainstream acceptance has changed but just because you called ahead to let the bank know you were coming to rob them doesn't mean it is okay. If you have 600 movies on your hard drive that is 600 offenses of the crime.
This is factually incorrect.

It is NOT illegal to "copy copyrighted material for any purpose." It is not illegal to rip a properly licensed CD or DVD and use the digitized copy yourself for personal purposes. Otherwise, every IPod would be illegal.

It is also not illegal to decrypt and remove copy protection from a DVD, if one is doing it in order to use the movie for personal use. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealNet...sociation,_Inc.

So don't mislead people.
__________________
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 04:16   #52
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,222
Images: 2
pirate Re: Ripping DVD's

CD's, DVD's... cumbersome relics of the past... all my music, movies, pilots and charts/programs are all flash drive... put the lot in my pocket.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 07:30   #53
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Ripping DVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
This is factually incorrect.

It is NOT illegal to "copy copyrighted material for any purpose." It is not illegal to rip a properly licensed CD or DVD and use the digitized copy yourself for personal purposes. Otherwise, every IPod would be illegal.

It is also not illegal to decrypt and remove copy protection from a DVD, if one is doing it in order to use the movie for personal use. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealNet...sociation,_Inc.

So don't mislead people.
Maybe I don't understand this, but your link is to a court case that decided it WAS illegal to do this.

"Despite the defeat of DVD-copying tools in this and other court cases, many similar software, such as HandBrake, continue to be free and widespread on the internet. Some believe that this indicates the ineffectiveness of the major studios' effort to restrict the copying of DVDs through legal rulings"

While it is legal to copy CD's for personal use, the only reason is because the industry screwed up and didn't put DRM on them. With DVD's it MAY be legal to copy them for personal use, but it is ILLEGAL to circumvent the DRM - which is silly because you have to circumvent the DRM to make a copy!

And for electronic forms of music with DRM, like the itunes store used to sell, it is also illegal to circumvent the DRM and listen to the music on other devices not registered to that music.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 08:03   #54
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 1,793
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Ripping DVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
the laws where put in place so that one could not legally make a copy of a DVD - personal use or not.
My understanding is that a copy for back-up or alternative media (iPod, media player, etc) falls under fair use. If you sell the original media you have crossed the line into copyright violation unless you destroy your copies.

So I'll keep ripping CDs and DVDs and ship the original discs off to storage, playing my music and movies aboard from iTunes and my iPod.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 08:26   #55
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Ripping DVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
My understanding is that a copy for back-up or alternative media (iPod, media player, etc) falls under fair use. If you sell the original media you have crossed the line into copyright violation unless you destroy your copies.

So I'll keep ripping CDs and DVDs and ship the original discs off to storage, playing my music and movies aboard from iTunes and my iPod.
Yes, that is true. You have the right to make a backup (an alternative version is a different story and another can of worms). However, what I have been reading recently (since I am now a wanted criminal) is that you can make DVD backups but you cannot circumvent the DRM on them. So in practice, you have no way of legally making a DVD backup or making a version to use on alternative media. Alternative media is often considered different versions - much like you would have to buy a blu-ray and regular version of a movie if you wanted both.

With CD's, this isn't an issue because they don't have DRM on them.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 13:32   #56
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 1,793
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Ripping DVD's

As I read the DMCA and the published exceptions from the US Copyright Office, making a copy for alternative media like an iPod is allowable as long as the original media is retained. Perhaps my understanding is flawed.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 13:38   #57
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,757
Re: Ripping DVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Maybe I don't understand this, but your link is to a court case that decided it WAS illegal to do this.

"Despite the defeat of DVD-copying tools in this and other court cases, many similar software, such as HandBrake, continue to be free and widespread on the internet. Some believe that this indicates the ineffectiveness of the major studios' effort to restrict the copying of DVDs through legal rulings"

While it is legal to copy CD's for personal use, the only reason is because the industry screwed up and didn't put DRM on them. With DVD's it MAY be legal to copy them for personal use, but it is ILLEGAL to circumvent the DRM - which is silly because you have to circumvent the DRM to make a copy!

And for electronic forms of music with DRM, like the itunes store used to sell, it is also illegal to circumvent the DRM and listen to the music on other devices not registered to that music.

Mark
Sorry, the case decided that it is legal to use tools to circumvent copy protection, but that it might be illegal to distribute those tools.

It is perfectly legal in the U.S. (other countries YMMV) to decrypt and rip a DVD which you own for your own personal use. That's called "fair use".

"Under United States' Federal law, making a backup copy of a DVD-Video or an audio CD by a consumer is legal under fair use protection. This provision of United States law conflicts with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act prohibition of so-called "circumvention measures" of copy protections. In the "321" case, Federal District Judge Susan Illston of the Northern District of California,[5] ruled that the backup copies made with software such as DVD Decrypter are legal but that distribution of the software used to make them is illegal."


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Decrypter
__________________
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 21:44   #58
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Ripping DVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
"Under United States' Federal law, making a backup copy of a DVD-Video or an audio CD by a consumer is legal under fair use protection. This provision of United States law conflicts with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act prohibition of so-called "circumvention measures" of copy protections. In the "321" case, Federal District Judge Susan Illston of the Northern District of California,[5] ruled that the backup copies made with software such as DVD Decrypter are legal but that distribution of the software used to make them is illegal."


DVD Decrypter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, I understand this. Well, at least I understand the point you are making - I sure don't understand the US laws about it.

However, as you can see from your own references, it is a catch 22 - legal to make the copy, but not legal to have the software necessary to make the copy. If distribution of the necessary software is illegal, then possessing it is illegal (how would you get it?). Kind of sideways relevant case in point - distribution of state secrets to wikileak is illegal and what is happening now to wikileak? Their possession of those secrets is said to be illegal.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 21:55   #59
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Ripping DVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
As I read the DMCA and the published exceptions from the US Copyright Office, making a copy for alternative media like an iPod is allowable as long as the original media is retained. Perhaps my understanding is flawed.
You may be correct - certainly this is an area ripe for interpretation and bereft of actual guidance and hard fact. But from what I have been researching since being caught out as a digital criminal is that while making a direct copy is an ambiguous area (see Dockhead's posts), altering that media copy to a different type of media or format is definitely not allowed. For that, you must repurchase the content. iTunes/Amazon/etc will be happy to sell you new copies in the correct formats. The iPod is not an alternative media - it is a media player. If you wish to play a full DVD copy on it, that is fine (but not possible). If you wish to rip the DVD using h.264 or similar compression algorithms to render a different file format and content type, then that is not OK - you must repurchase it.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 21:58   #60
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Ripping DVD's

Oh, and in case I am coming across as argumentative here, or a shill for the media industry - if anyone can prove any argument I make wrong, it may save me some jail time because I have been practicing what you are defending.

So please work hard at it...please...

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dvd

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Sailing DVDs by the Pardeys arjand Classifieds Archive 2 06-12-2011 11:56
For Sale: Sailing DVDs: Pardeys & Annapolis & Latitudes Gemini Dreams Classifieds Archive 6 09-11-2011 19:38
Video of Russian Warship Ripping Up a Somali Pirate Vessel rebel heart Off Topic Forum 41 07-11-2011 22:20
What Sailing DVDs Do You Like ? Lin Pardey General Sailing Forum 7 01-10-2011 21:49
Are there Any Good Books / DVDs About Plywood Boat Repairs ? andreas.mehlin Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 19-08-2011 07:58



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.