Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 22:07   #16

Boat: 19' Flying Scot
Re: Ripping DVD's

Dont forget to buy a 2nd hard drive as a back up. Sailboats are pretty unforgiving environment for harddrives.
Ashura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 22:53   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

OK, wow, that's a great response so far.

* I do not need to and don't have to get so geeky as to install a dedicated media server (I do have this at home). I am perfectly happy hooking my laptop up via its HDMI port, and storing the media on an external HD (which I already have).

* I have been using VLC for years And it will play the folders of separate files produced by DVDDecryptor.

The only problem is that the playback doesn't look perfect, at least, not on my HD laptop screen. Looks like some aliasing. I think DVDDecryptor records lossless files (right?), so I can only conclude that there is a step missing in the video processing.

That was one of my key questions -- anyone have this problem? I have a very, very good video card in my laptop so it would probably not be a hardware problem.

Another key question: does reprocessing the folder of separate files into a single MPEG4 or whatever file -- does this solve this problem?

Is the recommended workflow DVDDecryptor > Handbrake > VLC? Any other variants? Handbrake will not decrypt commercial DVD's, as far as I know (AFAIK, only DVDDecryptor does this -- right?).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 22:53   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashura View Post
Dont forget to buy a 2nd hard drive as a back up. Sailboats are pretty unforgiving environment for harddrives.
Since I have all the original DVD's, I think this isn't such a priority.
Old 27-12-2011, 23:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Is the recommended workflow DVDDecryptor > Handbrake > VLC? Any other variants? Handbrake will not decrypt commercial DVD's, as far as I know (AFAIK, only DVDDecryptor does this -- right?).
I am not sure for windows, but on Mac, Handbrake does not require pre-decrypting of the DVD. It does not do the decryption itself, instead relying on pass-through from VLC, but it is seamless. It requires no extra steps except having VLC installed.
mr_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 23:11   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
I am not sure for windows, but on Mac, Handbrake does not require pre-decrypting of the DVD. It does not do the decryption itself, instead relying on pass-through from VLC, but it is seamless. It requires no extra steps except having VLC installed.
Really!! That's really cool. Can anyone verify whether that works on Windows?
Old 28-12-2011, 04:01   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I've been using ImgBurn on a Win7 notebook with good results. It's free.
Old 28-12-2011, 08:18   #22

Boat: Gib sea 43

call me geeky but i bought a led tv to save power with usb input, all movies on divx on a portable hard drive, saves almost an amp over playing the dvd and takes up a lot less space, now i dont have the problem of converting the dvds, im a bad boy and download em from various sites already in divx format, now if anyone has a garmin gps/chart plotter with sd card slot, they have been cracked as well
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
call me geeky but i bought a led tv to save power with usb input, all movies on divx on a portable hard drive, saves almost an amp over playing the dvd and takes up a lot less space, now i dont have the problem of converting the dvds, im a bad boy and download em from various sites already in divx format, now if anyone has a garmin gps/chart plotter with sd card slot, they have been cracked as well

guess that must make you a pirate!,if only a virtual one...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:42   #24

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Can anyone translate this thread into English??--I've been at sea too long and my TV is 18 years old...
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 09:10   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Can anyone translate this thread into English??--I've been at sea too long and my TV is 18 years old...
personalondemandrotbox......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 09:53   #26

Boat: Gib sea 43

Now to get a large supply of genuine garmin holographic sticker made in asia... any takers?
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 09:53   #27

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I use a slightly different approach. All my movies are in .avi format and I get between 5 and 7 per DVD. I view them directly on the computer, so no dvd player or separate screen. I'm not yet convinced about parking all my movies on hard drives because of the habitat they will be living in. I suppose if flash drives come down in price and increase in size I might do that next.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 23:30   #28

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

I use MakeMKV free at this time,simple and reasonably fast.Does not shrink so quality should not be affected.I play with VLC on my laptop,don't know if any tv's play .mkv.
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 18:36   #29

Also try vuze, all latest movies, series, documentarys etc etc, you can read reviews before you download and it's free..
The Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 19:23   #30

Boat: Allures 44

This winter I removed the TV and DVD player from the boat. We'll just download content periodically via Wifi and watch on the Ipad or laptop. Fewer amp-hrs, and I regain a shelf for books.

My high school students are always exchanging movies via flash drive. We could do this... Meet a fellow cruiser in an anchorage and exchange each others' top recommended films?

I don't usually watch movies more than once, so I guess this drifts from the thread. Sorry, Dockhead.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd