Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2014, 05:35   #1

Recommended Foldable Bike?

My husband and I would like to bring foldable bikes for easy transportation when we are moored at various marinas and would like to know if anyone has any recommendations in terms of comfort to ride, durable, rust-resiliant, easy to fold & store, etc.

Thanks, Ginette
PS It seems that the Dahon Mariner is the way to go because of the rust resiliancy, but I was wondering if anyone has other recommendations or experiences.
gin_miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 05:42   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Recommended Foldable Bike?

There are several bike threads...

-Chris
Old 22-07-2014, 06:21   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
E-Twow S2 scooters

We are going with some E-Twow S2 scooters. They fold up small. They are light and fit in the boat and dinghy easily. Will be great for gliding all around and island no matter if it’s hilly or not and not be all sweaty when we get back to the boat. We walk the beach every day for exercise, so we will not miss out on that.

They can be easily carried or you can use the Trolley Function which allows you to wheel it around on its front wheel while holding on to the rear wheel, instead of having to carry it around in certain situations.

E-TWOW S2 - Specification
1. Max speed - 27 km/h (16.7 mph)

2. Average speed - 25 km/h (15.5 mph)

3. Weight 10.7kg (23.5 lbs) (6.5 Ah battery),(depend on the battery cap. and the rear wheel type)
________11.0kg (24.2 lbs) (8.5 Ah battery)

4. Range - 25-27km (15.5- 16.7 miles) (with 70kg (154lbs person) and 6.5ah battery)
_________32-35km (19.8- 21.7 miles) (with 70kg (154lbs person) and 8.5ah battery)

5. Unfolded: 940 x 150 x 1160 mm (37”L x 5.9”W x 45.6”H)

____Folded: 945 x 150 x 330 mm (37.2”L x 5.9”W x 12.9”H)

6. Maximum Incline 15°

7. Rear wheel types: 1-Eco / 2-Sport / 3-Comfort

Speed indicator (km/ml), Temperature indicator ( c/f ), Odometer, Trip meter, horn and light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	85376   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	85377  

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	85378   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	85379  

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	85380   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	85381  

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	85382   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	85383  

Name:	9 Rear wheel.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	85384   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	85385  

Name:	11 Display.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	85386  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 06:34   #4

Boat: Sabre 42

My wife and I have been very happy with a pair of Dahon Mariner bikes. They are mostly aluminum construction and have held up well for four years. They have a solid feel with minimal corrosion -- we finally just had to replace the tires. Admittedly they've only been on the boat part time, but live on a porch near salt water at all other times.

They have 7 gears and can handle hills no problem. I would say they are about 30% less efficient than a standard road bike (but I'm not in much of a hurry so no problem). I'm 6' 2" and the seat goes high enough for me to be In a comfortable riding position.

They fold down in 30 seconds to the size of a suitcase.

Hope this helps.
Old 22-07-2014, 06:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've go two Dahon's, one Boardwalk and one Mariner. Neither of mine is aluminum, and at least on mine there is nothing at all "marine" about the mariner except the name, it's essentially identical to the Boardwalk. I keep mine sprayed down with Corrosion -X and they stay pretty corrosion free, but if I didn't they would be rust buckets in a short order.
Decent bikes, decent price. You can pay a lot more for a folding bike, just wish someone would really make a "marine" grade bike out of aluminum and SS. Never seen an SS chain, but it should be doable?
I've motorized the Mariner for my wife and on our last two week trip I and the kids put more than 100 miles on them, my wife didn't get on one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 07:27   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The Dahon Mariner is not worth the premium you have to pay for it. Just get a regular Dahon and a bag.
Old 22-07-2014, 08:20   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah31

My wife and I have bikes from Folding Bikes by Citizen Bike and love them. I have the Gotham2 (older model) and have been riding the hell out of it with no problems. She loves her Barcelona, however, I think it's a bit bulky when packing on the boat.
Old 22-07-2014, 08:22   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

There's almost infinite variety, and what's best for you is not necessarily what is best for others, so you will have to think, look, and try yourself.

As others have said, you can use any folding bike; just keep after the rust. Mine has an aluminum frame, but steel frames don't actually rust, either -- it's the chain and various bolts which will rust, and the "marine" versions of bikes are no better than non-marine ones in that regard, as far as I can see.

I like to be able to ride some distance (which in some places you simply have to), so I chose a performance-oriented folding bike -- a Dahon Jetstream EX (DAHON Bikes:Â*Jetstream EX). It was fairly expensive, but worth it for my usage. It has 27 gears and a full suspension, and it is as efficient as good road bikes were during that time in my life when I was riding a lot (30 years ago). Which really amazed me, considering this is a folder with 20" wheels. I wear cleats, and knock out 50 miles at a time with ease, although I am a lot less lean and mean than I was 30 years ago. It has been my only private land transportation (other than an occasional rental car) this summer in Scandinavia, and has been a real pleasure to ride. It's only disadvantage compared to the good full-sized road bikes I used to ride is that it is not very stable over 50km/h (30mph), so no high-speed, downhill runs. But in practice, this is not a big problem.

You'll have to look around and decide what's right for you. The only general thing I would say is that you will probably want to avoid bikes with 16" wheels if you are planning to ride even moderate distances. There is a huge difference in stability and ride between 16" and 20" bikes, and the amount of storage space you save with the small wheels is really not that much.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 08:43   #9

I had the 24" folding mountain bike types and later had the little 20" one speed pedal brake type. I hardly used the big ones at all due to difficulty of storage on a 47 ft boat and they didn't fit in the dingy well either. The shift and brake cables always got hung up on things etc. The simple little dahons were easy to use and got me everywhere I wanted to go. Just a thought ... to each his own.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 09:01   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I hardly used the big ones at all due to difficulty of storage on a 47 ft boat and they didn't fit in the dingy well either. The shift and brake cables always got hung up on things etc. The simple little dahons were easy to use and got me everywhere I wanted to go. Just a thought ... to each his own.
I have the same problem with all folding bikes on board -- even the 16" wheel Dahon I have. Keeping them on board, getting them on and off the boat, taking them in the dinghy, is all a PITA, even on a 54' boat. I have ruined a lot of clothes with chain marks, too.

I keep mine in my lazarette, but they are in the way, and it's a PITA to get them in and out. If I have few people on board, I might put them in a spare cabin. Or in good weather, I even sometimes lock them to the pushpit and leave them unfolded on deck.

I think it just goes with the territory. Perhaps having them in a bag might help (help prevent snagging of cables, pedals, etc.); need to try that.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 09:15   #11

Yes, I had the bags for the big bikes and that was a PITA also! I guess my little ones were the 16" not the 20". They would actually fit in the cockpit locker for passages. Between day trips I just left them on the stern pulpit. They were cheap, they lasted 3 years, I bought them used for $50 each. I gave them to the boat boys in the yard in Trini! If you see a little red folding Dahon in Powerboats or around there... that was mine! They are probably still going strong. (The big ones in the bags had to be fished thru the companionway down below and into the double quarter berth.)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:22   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

I bought a trek aluminum foldable bike - fits into my cockpit locker with ease. Just keep the chain oiled....and be warned. No matter how hard you try, you will always get chain grease on your hands every time you lift it out of the locker.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42   #13

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
E-Twow S2 Foldable Bike?

Covered all 30 miles of Block Island this past week on our new E-Twow S2 scooters.

Charged them up everyday from my boat solar panels.

They cover 21 mile at 16 mph on a full charge. Has E-Braking, Horn and lights.
Block Island is pretty hilly and it was not a problem for these scooters. We passed a lot of bikes going uphills.

Even put them in the shopping cart and went shopping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cotemar1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	86089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	86090  

Name:	Cotemar3.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	86091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar4.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	86092  

Name:	Cotemar5.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	86093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar6.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	86094  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47   #14

We own Bromptons and keep them in the storage cover. Drag them in and out of our Sprinter RV constantly. Never have left behind any grease marks on our beige Ultraleather. Bromptons fold very small but they cost a couple of bucks.
They ride like full size bikes and cause lots of gawking were ever we go.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:55   #15

Cotemar,

Those E-Twow scooters look pretty nifty. Is it fun?

Block Island's not flat. Did they make it up the hills or did you have to push?

Do you think performance would still be OK for a 180lb person?
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
E-Scooter, Folding bike, men, scooter