Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Ragbag or Stinkpot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Personally, I have trouble calling my 25' Swan a yacht, so calling your Hunter a yacht is out of the question for me, but if you want to, I'm willing to expand my mind enough to accept it rather than LOL.
I normally refer to my Hunter as "The Boat" or as "The Duck".

If I ever win the lottery and get a boat that has a full time crew I probably will refer to the ship as "My yacht", especially when talking to the little people!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:04   #17

Boat: Heritage 35

What's this grow up stuff? I'm in my 60's and having way to much fun to grow up!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
I think I might be one of those newbies that you may say I'm ignorant of all the traditional ways. It isn't that I don't care, it's because I prefer function over fashion. I like learning from people who know more than me. But kids like me filter all advice through filters like: What is coming from experience? What is based on a specific scenario that may never apply to me? What is coming from a textbook from the 60's? What is steeped in tradition and nostalgia? When it come down to it, I'll go with the way that serves my need best.

I'm in the middle of a boat rebuild project for RTW cruising. Some things I'm doing to her are quite non-traditional and would attract the concerned glare of more seasoned boat designers. But in the end, it will work fine and I will be happy out cruising! To most she will be a conglomeration of parts, randomly found, to make her seaworthy. In my eyes, she will be my yacht who takes me to far off lands over the horizon!

Someday, when I grow up (I'm 42 now), I will have the time to become a seasoned sailor and take the time to learn it proper. And I might even have enough money to dump into a proper "yacht" at that time, but that's at least 2 decades away and I have sooo much sailing to do before then ;-)
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23   #18

Here we go again! As far as Captain monikers go some have spent the time on land and sea, studied and taken the exams (written and medical) and spent a not insubstantial amount of money to get that Merchant Mariner credential. IMO if an insurance company and Coast Guard is confident enough that you have the skills and are responsible enough to take people on board and make them pay for the privilege you should be able to call yourself a Captain. There will always be those with more experience and others with less experience. So what! Some will spend their careers going back and forth across the same mile of water and others will have taken big ships with full crew around the world and still others will venture out alone. Bigger does not always mean better when it comes to ones skills on the water. As even cruise ships and freighters have run aground or worse from time to time. Besides it's not everyone who really wants to (or can) pee in a cup for a drug test on regular basis and give the results to Government.
Old 11-12-2012, 13:42   #19

Boat: Hunter 23.5, AMF Sunbird & 36' Prairie Trawler

[QUOTE=Don Lucas;1104079]I normally refer to my Hunter as "The Boat" or as "The Duck".

I guess my Hunter would be called a bathtub toy. You can call me "Cap." you can call me "swabbie", just don't call me late for dinner!

Kevin
Tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:09   #20
CLOD

[QUOTE=Tallswede;1104991]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I normally refer to my Hunter as "The Boat" or as "The Duck".

I guess my Hunter would be called a bathtub toy. You can call me "Cap." you can call me "swabbie", just don't call me late for dinner!

Kevin
Depends on your boat's name. "The Duck" is really short for my boat's full name, Rubber Ducky. So I think I already have the bathtub toy just my bathtub is BIG!

You can make it work out if you name your boat Rubber Ducky's Toy
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Well Don,

When we had our first boat, a 22 ft Guy, we ended up in a gale and 6 foot waves. After 7-8 hours of that, we finally made harbor. As we came in, we were overjoyed to just have survived and were singing "Rubber Ducky, we love you, Rubber Ducky........" in praise of our little boat.

Sheeee ..it what a ride. We grilled some steaks and when the others around the grill heard we'd been out for 7-8 hours - they looked in disbelief at the (tiny) boat. 8 hours in force 8? in a 22 footer?

I have to say we cracked 2 bottles of wine that evening, and slept like the dead.

After that, even though the boats name was Pappaguy, we just referred to her as rubber ducky

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59   #22
CLOD

I have that Rubber Ducky song on my boat. My daughter makes up music CDs for the boat and tosses it in at various places.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10   #23

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Our rubber ducky was small, but when it came to pure sailing enjoyment - she was the best boat we've ever had. Ya damn well felt alive when you were bouncing from wave to wave!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 13:20   #24
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

My husband is my captain but I don't want that to go to his head, so I introduce him as my arm candy
Old 13-12-2012, 13:43   #25

Boat: too many

When I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be a discussion on sailing vs power. But the first post had a quote from somewhere about the use of "captain". Did I miss something?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote