Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 11:23   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Question for Scuba Divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I would focus more on the instructor than the agency. NAUI or PADI seem to be recognized everywhere I've been and I've seen good and bad instructors with both agencies
The Dive School I have recommended to DH has been around for the best part of 40 years, perhaps longer. Whilst not the cheapest they have all the kit, including there own swimming pool, compressors and classrooms etc but you make a good point.

Quote:
As A64 mentioned, a dry suit is a pretty bulky item to store and does have the issues he mentioned. Plus you have to carry an extra tank, regulator, hoses, etc to inflate the suit and if you're really serious about staying warm should use argon for the gas.
Err, we need a reality check here, wet suit and single cylinder, not trimix stuff.

Quote:
I would agree with Kenomac and stick with a 7 mil wet suit. For the time you will be in the water and no colder than 20C should be fine. Do get a good hood to go with it. Makes a huge difference.
Hurrah, in the UK a wetsuit would be used Apr - Oct or down to say 8 or 9'c. A short dip in 6'c is possible too if its a quick check on the prop.

I
Quote:
f you do end up going with a dry suit I recommend the DUI brand. I've used the crushed neoprene and the tri-laminate. The neoprene fits a lot better and I found it easier to work in. You can still end up with an air bubble but not as much of a problem as the laminate.
Oh no, more techie diving stuff, he needs the KISS aproach.

There is one important addition that is worth paying for. In the UK a wetsuit is a wetsuit, however, we also have semi dry suits. They are wetsuits with drysuit cuffs and neck seals which cut down the flushing action of a wesuit so keeping the warm water in next to you. Since the price is only a little higher a semi drysuit is probably the best / safest / easiest option for an occasional dive. Actually I doubt you could buy a 7mm suit that isn't a semi drysuit in the UK anymore.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 11:25   #17

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My God, why? You must be impervious to pain
Sorry, I should have used the past tense when speaking to ice diving and wet suits...
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 12:29   #18
cruiser

Dockhead,
Don't be nervous about taking the scuba course, it's really lots of fun and your swimming ability doesn't matter very much. A few months ago, I went on an organized scuba dive in Cozumel which is a great place. I learned so much from a woman in her late 60's who looked like a puffed up beach ball and was part of our dive group. After watching her squeeze into her wetsuit, her husband assured us that his wife would be the last one to come up, and would have half a tank left over.He was right... and that's the day I realized that scuba is like underwater yoga, it's all about relaxation, conserving your energy and breathing.

On the next dive, I was able to stay down as long as her, and the experience really opened up my mind towards scuba and the underwater sea creatures. It's truly the closest experience to being in outer space that most of us earthlings can have.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 12:44   #19

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38

I think as others have said definitely go for the full training. First because you really should, second you might find you really enjoy it and want to do more since you will have the gear, and third you may only intend to be working within the first 10 feet (3meters) of the ocean where you boat is but what happens when you drop a tool? Lost forever? You should have the proper training to know and to make a quick dive to say 30-50ft to retrieve it and how to make a proper ascent back up.

Don't bother with a dry suit, it's way overkill. I may be more accustomed to colder water but all the diving i've done has been in about 12-15 degree celcius waters using nothing more than a 7MM wetsuit. I can do a full day of 3-4 1 hour dives in those water temperatures and make it just fine. I even once did almost 3 hours worth of dives in 8 degree celcius water wearing a 7mm wetsuit and a 5mm vest though I probably would not do that again as that was really at my limit of cold tolerance.

For an hour or two worth of work every couple of months in 20 degree water you would be fine in a 5mm wet suit... If you are an especially cold type go for a 7mm wet suit.
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 14:24   #20

Boat: Montevideo 43'

I totally agree with the members suggesting that you should stay away from drysuits. You really need a lot of training with them. They are bulky, expensive and uncomfortable.
You guys might want to take a look at the wetsuits that are made for spearfishing and freediving. I even use them for commercial work.
They use open cell neoprene on the inside. It feels a bit like a latex glove. You do need a lubricant to get into it. Its really soft and flexible and as a result you don't pump cold sea water into it when you move around a lot. A farmer john and hooded top in 5mm is more than warm enough in 15C water.
I just use warm water and a bit of nice smelling shampoo as lubricant. The nice smelling shampoo also helps to hide the lion cage smell after spending 6 hours in the wetsuit.
Downline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 16:04   #21

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It should also be said that the water in all the places I plan to cruise in the near future is cold -- below 20C. So it looks like I will need to be in a dry suit from the beginning.
When I did my dive training with the navy, I took my meals at the officers mess at the adjoining air base. So after a day of diving, I was dining with an Aussie exchange SeaKing pilot. Being as it was December in Halifax, he was curious about the water temp. With all seriousness, I said 'it's not that bad; about 7 degrees'... and he spit his supper across the table.
We used 4mm suits, and after a day in the water, needed a good hot shower, but for boat maintenance you should be fine in a 5mm suit. Cold water sucks for rec dives anyway; save that for the tropics.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 16:26   #22

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

SCUBA isn't hard but it is something only a fool would do without training.

There are too many ways for you to kill yourself by making stupid mistakes. Just take the class. It's very worthwhile information.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 04:24   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The Dive School I have recommended to DH has been around for the best part of 40 years, perhaps longer. Whilst not the cheapest they have all the kit, including there own swimming pool, compressors and classrooms etc but you make a good point.

Err, we need a reality check here, wet suit and single cylinder, not trimix stuff.

Hurrah, in the UK a wetsuit would be used Apr - Oct or down to say 8 or 9'c. A short dip in 6'c is possible too if its a quick check on the prop.

I

Oh no, more techie diving stuff, he needs the KISS aproach.

There is one important addition that is worth paying for. In the UK a wetsuit is a wetsuit, however, we also have semi dry suits. They are wetsuits with drysuit cuffs and neck seals which cut down the flushing action of a wesuit so keeping the warm water in next to you. Since the price is only a little higher a semi drysuit is probably the best / safest / easiest option for an occasional dive. Actually I doubt you could buy a 7mm suit that isn't a semi drysuit in the UK anymore.

Pete
OK, so I don't need a drysuit after all? Everything I read said that it's needed below about 16C. I guess April to October is ok for me since I don't do many long trips from November through March, and during that time I'm in UK or French waters anyway where lifting out is cheap and fouling is low.

So you think I need a 7mm suit with the cuffs and neckseals then? If I understood you correctly then this simplifies the job.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 04:37   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Only you can decide if you need a dry suit or not, peoples tolerance to cold varies greatly.
What you are describing with neck and cuff seals is a semi-dry suit, which in my opinion is a very good option for you.

I'm freezing in a 7mm, where some people are toasty warm in a 5. Most scuba shops will rent suits, I'd say try before you buy, haven't seen a dry suit or even a semi-dry for rent though, but I'm also a warm water diver so maybe that's why.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 05:11   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Only you can decide if you need a dry suit or not, peoples tolerance to cold varies greatly.
What you are describing with neck and cuff seals is a semi-dry suit, which in my opinion is a very good option for you.

I'm freezing in a 7mm, where some people are toasty warm in a 5. Most scuba shops will rent suits, I'd say try before you buy, haven't seen a dry suit or even a semi-dry for rent though, but I'm also a warm water diver so maybe that's why.
Well, my immediate task is to gain the capability to get at my bottom when I can't, like now, get an affordable lift out. So that is basically during my summer cruises when I'm far from base. Water temp at this moment here in Finland is 16.5 degrees.

So I guess a semi-dry suit would be ok to start with, and I particularly trust Pete7's opinion since he is a very experienced diver and in these Northern waters. That ought to solve my immediate problem. Then live and see. I guess if I really like diving and find occasions to do it much, and/or I start to want to get to under the boat in the depth of winter, too, I can start to think about drysuits. But I'll probably be looking at more equipment than just the suit, by that time, too, so none of that is worth thinking about now.

What do you guys think about this one:

semi-dry suit SEAC SUB MAN S-DRY HD ,MM.7 Extraflex + DRY BEG SHOWCASE UK | eBay
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 05:18   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm sure the fuchsia accents will look great on you!!
Old 24-06-2014, 05:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by offline View Post
SCUBA isn't hard but it is something only a fool would do without training.

There are too many ways for you to kill yourself by making stupid mistakes. Just take the class. It's very worthwhile information.
This fool is in the 43rd year of diving (30 years of technical diving) without formal training just for the record. If you can read and retain what you read it is possible to dive without formal training.

As evidence, I point to the fact that PADI has a 1/2 day resort into to diving training course that turns into an hour or so in the pool before being certified to dive 30 feet. Not much training is it?

Sport diving is considered to be a fairly safe sport. Consider 1 fatality out of every 211,864 dives. This compares to 1 car accident death per 5,555 registered drivers in the US in 2008, and 1 fatality out of 7692 from pregnancy complications.

Tags
Cuba, scuba