Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 22:57   #76

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Pretention or culture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
The bridgetenders here always address whoever is on the radio as "captain," but I think that's just so they don't insult the real captains by calling them "skipper."
No, they are merely addressing the one in-charge and responsible for that boat/ship, whatever. "Skipper" is cartoonish.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 23:02   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
No, they are merely addressing the one in-charge and responsible for that boat/ship, whatever. "Skipper" is cartoonish.
They use "skipper" on billion dollar warships.

Come to think of it, "CO" is used a lot too.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04   #78

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
You mean "Hi I'm Bob I'm going to driving the plane today." doesn't do it for you?
It does if you are flying British Airways.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:22   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Is it any more pretentious to always call the bathroom the head, or the kitchen the galley, pulleys the blocks, etc.?
Do something stupid like run your boat into a bridge or another boat and I assure you, pretentious or not, the local authorities will be calling you captain.
Not here they won't - there is no reference in legislation here that uses the term Captain - the term Master is used and defined as The master of a ship is the person having command or charge of the ship.

Licences are in Grades of Master - from Recreational Ship Master to Master class V Class IV and etc to Class I. But you don't need to have a licence to be defined as Master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Concerning calling your boat a yacht, it depends on where you're from. Around these parts, a yacht simply means a boat which is not a motorboat. Synonym for sailboat. A normal conversation might be: "Does he have a motorboat?" "No, it's a yacht."

In the US, maybe, the word "yacht" might imply something large and fancy, but in other parts of the world -- mostly not.
Almost true for here. In our Yacht club all the sailboats are yachts - but just over the water at Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron a yacht is universally a large single hulled sailing vessel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
You mean "Hi I'm Bob I'm going to driving the plane today." doesn't do it for you?
Dont care if she calls herself late for breakfast, long as she does the job.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:35   #80
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Interesting thread... haven't thought of myself as pretentious but listening/reading to the comments of rebelheart and bobconnie both of whose opinion I respect, I'm now inclined to edit out reference to Capt in my profile even though I earned it and spent most of my life at sea. It is what folks have called me for close to 40 years both on and off the water. Those of us who are licensed know that we are held to a higher standard when driving a boat, in a bar, not so much. Capt Phil 'out'
Cap'n Phil - it's only the internet, and a very small corner of it at that. My guiding light is WTF works and I feel comfortable with in real life and not based on the mutterings of folks I likely will never meet......and I do include me on the muttering front .

Given that your qualifications sound more real than the price of a hat from West Marine I am sure you don't need me (or anyone else) to tell you that ......comments perhaps more aimed at my fellow members of the Peanut Gallery (The Peanuteers? ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:41   #81
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
......comments perhaps more aimed at my fellow members of the Peanut Gallery (The Peanuteers? ).

Peanut David, I like the sound of that. Does it shorten up to NUT?

Does that title come with a certificate worth framing and putting on ones "I love me" wall? Does it involve renewal fees as I can always use an extra title.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:45   #82
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Peanut David, I like the sound of that. Does it shorten up to NUT?

Does that title come with a certificate worth framing and putting on ones "I love me" wall? Does it involve renewal fees as I can always use an extra title.
I think that Rank comes with whatever you like and that possibly includes a hat .
Old 02-10-2012, 03:46   #83

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Here in DK, the term is "skipper", denoting the fact that you are the person in charge of the boat. Regarding the boat, the danish word is "lystyacht", which translates to "pleasure yacht". Lystyacht is only used by insurance companies and the like (tax department). Virtually everyone else says boat.

I will, tongue in cheek, refer to myself as Captain or my boat as a yacht, but that is only amongst friends or people who can tell I'm joking.

Captain (Kaptajn) is just almost never used unless the boat is a ship (when does a boat become a ship? Hey great thread) or the military is involved.

I've only referred to myself as skipper when asked by someone, as in Who's in charge? I'm the skipper (unless my wife is at the helm and then she's the skipper).

At all times, my wife is the Admiral in Charge (note the capital letters)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:19   #84

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365

Quote:
Concerning calling your boat a yacht, it depends on where you're from. Around these parts, a yacht simply means a boat which is not a motorboat. Synonym for sailboat. A normal conversation might be: "Does he have a motorboat?" "No, it's a yacht."

In the US, maybe, the word "yacht" might imply something large and fancy, but in other parts of the world -- mostly not.
Indeed. For example, in the Netherlands the word 'sailboat' means sailing dingy, something small and floating without a cabin. But if it has a cabin and approximately reaches 8 meters or more, it's a 'zeiljacht' (sailing yacht). Nothing pretentious about it. But about the captain thing - in the Netherlands you're a total loser if you call yourself like that, except for when you're the captain of a really big ship.
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:22   #85

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365

Quote:

Indeed. For example, in the Netherlands the word "sailboat" means sailing dingy, something small and floating without a cabin. But if it has a cabin and approximately reaches 8 meters or more, it's a "zeiljacht" (sailing yacht). Nothing pretentious about it. But about the captain thing - in the Netherlands you're a total loser if you call yourself like that, except for when you're the captain of a really big ship. And then just as in: "Hallo, I'm such and such, the captain of the ship."
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:44   #86
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern View Post
Kind of like a headstone; if you didn't do anything worth remembering in your life, why should anyone care to know who you were when you are dead?

Leave a legacy, or just fade away.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”

In recent years I have put much pondering into such things - what I have puzzled out that whilst there are no rules (my kinda rules )........nonetheless there does seem for many (albeit not all) an inherent human desire to mark the passing of another in some way. Historically often also acheived by a form of physical marker, whether a Mausoleum, a Pyramid or a pile of stones.

Obviously there can be an element of pretention by the deceased themselves, but as Ozy found out the physical markers do tend to have a time limitation (and even the Pharaohs didn't exactly nail an undisturbed final resting place!)..........but I think that is not all there is to it.

One of the cool dead people innovations I saw recently on TV was in Denmark - where folk who are by a graveside can get info about the deceased on their mobile phone!, not sure if that includes any Youtube but no reason why not......the purpose? Well, apart from for any relatives others will not be greatly interested - except perhaps in future generations or centuries. In the old days the History was more about the great and the good (because they wrote it!) whereas the lives (including the hopes and dreams) of the "ordinary" folk were ignored, despite the fact that they likely were more interesting.........imagine being able to read about WTF someone in Captain Cook's crew actually thought about him and the voyage . In future generations folks will be able to read stuff like that. Living(?!) history .

Meself is still puzzling over how to deal with the bones of da Missus (still sitting on my sideboard )......because she wanted something permanent (for reasons I won't go into)........the favourite option is to build her a Pyramid bigger than any the Pharaohs had and designed and built to last longer!.........obviously a certain cash flow problem with that ambition, but I think that minor problem is curable - by making a profit . Probably never happen of course. But it might.............

.......Ozymandias - stick that in yer pipe .
Old 02-10-2012, 05:27   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
Part of my eyerolling about this whole thing is related to being in the Navy and meeting *real* captains. Guys with 20-30 years of experience being on the water more than half their lives. Combat operations, rescue operations, no-**** crew management, knowledge of vast complexity and solid seamanship skills on top of it.

In civilian settings, they introduce themselves by first name.
That matches my experience, too.

FWIW, I was taught that the title Captain was properly reserved for those who have both (i) an Master Mariner / unlimited master's certificate and (ii) significant actual command experience at sea, in a vessel at least 3,000 GT. The lack of the latter criterion is why Robin K-J has never been styled Captain K-J.

But that is merely convention. If someone with a USCG 200-ton ticket or an RYA Yachtmaster C of C chooses to call themselves "Captain", they are (IMO) pretentious but they are not "wrong".
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:32   #88

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Costa Concordia had a Captain in command Jus' sayin'
That unlamented individual, who I think of as "Il Douche", was hardly "in command".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:38   #89

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Using capatin in your greeting (unless you're chartering and meeting your guests) is pretentious.

So is calling your boat a yacht.

That IS cultural. In New Zealand and (I think) OZ, a sailboat of any size is a yacht, while a powerboat is a launch.

So you can have a 13-foot yacht and a 300-foot launch, I guess.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:52   #90

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Absolutely agree with Connemara. In Oz a yacht is a boat with sails and if Bill Gates pulls into Sydney in his 300' motor boat and calls it a yacht, we would reckon he's a pretentious wanker. However, I guess if you have umpteen squillion dollars, there is no such thing as pretention.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote