Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 11:29   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Pretention or culture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Yep.

Big difference between saying "I work as a captain" and "Hi, I'm Captain Eric."
I can understand why someone would use the name "Captain Eric" (if their name was Eric!) as part of marketing, if it worked (I can see how it would help with many of the Punters - if only for reassurance / a simple way of telling them "you do WTF I say - for your own safety" ). Hell, I would use the name Lord High Admiral if it made me a buck .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:55   #47

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

And for the other point of view, when flying, I'm always reassured when the guy down the front introduces himself as "captain".
Old 01-10-2012, 12:06   #48

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Hell, I would use the name Lord High Admiral if it made me a buck .
I think you should use First Sea Lord.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:13   #49

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
And for the other point of view, when flying, I'm always reassured when the guy down the front introduces himself as "captain".
and by the fact that he or she has earned the stripes on the shoulder boards or the piston rings on the jacket cuffs.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:29   #50
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Well speaking for myself. To quote Walter Brennen: "It's no brag just fact"
Some of us did go take the time and expense to get our Captain's license aka Merchant Mariner credential and TWIC cards. Which included taking various written and charting exams, filling out the forms and going through medical examinations and peeing into cups to ensure we are drug free and then paying various fees to the goverment. Not to mention having additional responsibilty. For example if an incident occurs on the water we could lose that license we worked hard to get and you can bet that the Coast Guard will be holding those of us with MMCs to higher standards than the guy tooling around with a Bayliner. So yeah I will call myself Captain from time to time. I feel I've earned it and will be paying and peeing for it again when it comes up for renewel. Though I will also have fun with it too. I sometimes answer the phone when friends call saying "Captain Mike's naughty/nauti charters".
Now as far as doctors go the reason they may not introduce themselves as Dr. so and so is because once they do people start talking and asking about the latest pain or health issue they are experiencing. Doctors learn that there is no upside when out of the office to doing that.

I guess, but my late husband had a Ph.D. and he never introduced himself as "Dr."

When the headmistress of our children's Montessori school introduced him to someone in that way, he politely corrected her. She told us that she was in Germany, and in Germany anyone with a doctorate was referred to as "Dr." Never having been there, I can't confirm that, but her story (and we never had any reason to disbelieve her about anything) would suggest cultural influence there.

I know sailors who have a captain's license who make quite a point of it and those who have it but don't make it part of their introduction. But at some point, we all find out that they do have that captain's license.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:33   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Is it any more pretentious to always call the bathroom the head, or the kitchen the galley, pulleys the blocks, etc.?
Do something stupid like run your boat into a bridge or another boat and I assure you, pretentious or not, the local authorities will be calling you captain.

The bridgetenders here always address whoever is on the radio as "captain," but I think that's just so they don't insult the real captains by calling them "skipper."
Old 01-10-2012, 12:37   #52
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

In the US, maybe, the word "yacht" might imply something large and fancy, but in other parts of the world -- mostly not.

Indeed

You've seen my yacht then

And in keeping with cultural diversity, no matter how big or fancy your yacht is or how many miles under the keel, you'll still get laughed out of the bar over here if you call yourself captain.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:37   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Concerning calling your boat a yacht, it depends on where you're from. Around these parts, a yacht simply means a boat which is not a motorboat. Synonym for sailboat. A normal conversation might be: "Does he have a motorboat?" "No, it's a yacht."

In the US, maybe, the word "yacht" might imply something large and fancy, but in other parts of the world -- mostly not.

Oh here we just call 'em sailboats.
Old 01-10-2012, 13:21   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
and by the fact that he or she has earned the stripes on the shoulder boards or the piston rings on the jacket cuffs.
I am retired from that profession, and never until now heard the "piston rings" reference. I love it! Especially as one who still doesn't think those noisy jets will ever catch on.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 13:35   #55

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Costa Concordia had a Captain in command Jus' sayin'
Old 01-10-2012, 14:33   #56

I have never used that title when i had a sailing boat or when i had a pro fishing boat.

My father was a captain and used to introduce himself at work at as captain with his initials and surname but mainly when he was taking command of a vessel as a piliot. As such he was anouncing that the ship was now under his command and was his responsiblity. Socialy he always refered to himself by his first name but many used to still call him captain.

His CV was that he had run awy to see as a teenager, sailed before the mast (his first ship was an old coaster that actually had a mast and sail) worked his tickets to foriegn going masters, held 7 international pilots tickets, 17 international pilot exemptions and finaly retired in his 70's as the port director of a major persian gulf port.

In my view he was intitled to call himself captain even when retired.
Old 01-10-2012, 15:04   #57

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

Unless you're a member of the armed forces, it's the type of title that can be bestowed upon you by others, but generally not one you should command yourself.

Similar to how 'esquire' is applied in the context of American law.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 15:29   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I always thought that the Captain was the one with the 4 gold stripes on each shoulder.

Me, I think my title is senior bill payer, or ATM.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 15:58   #59

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

A bit pretentious! I have had a 500 Ton masters license for 38 years and I am still JOE!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 16:06   #60

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Unfortunately, I have seen some that call themselves captain, whether or not they have an actual captain's license, that shouldn't be attracting attention to their nautical skills, or lack thereof. However, I will say that there is a lot of culture involved. Yes, Germans do like to use honorific titles before their names, and it is considered normal within that culture. Similarly, when down South in the USA it makes me feel uncomfortable when the bagger in the supermarket calls me "Sir" or my wife "Ma'm," but that is part of the culture. If I am checking into a foreign port and the customs officer calls me "Captain" I am not going to argue with him, even if I am technically not one. To him I am a captain--fine with me if that's the way he wants it. Having grown up with flaming red hair one gets used to being called all sorts of nicknames--some not very pleasing--so I basically ignore it and shake the person's hand, smile, and try to respond in a culturally appropriate manner. Here in New York that might include culturally appropriate hand gestures and words if you are not handling your boat like a captain should.