Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-11-2012, 16:44   #121

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft
Re: Pretention or culture?

As an Aussie, I can be reasonably sure that many of my countrymen will agree when I say this seems to me to be a little pretentious.

It must be said, that the majority of those who use this title seem to be from one country alone. Is it perhaps a cultural thing?

[/QUOTE]
Could your first part as quoted above not be deemed a bit pretentious or could me quoting you be deemed pretentious, but really what i want to know is what country are you on about? Don't beat about the bush man.

Sorry should have read more... Anyway I'm English and thought we had been pretentious champions for the last 300 years straight.

Have you noticed in this thread how so many tell you their qualifications while pretending not to be pretentious? I have been called an anchor which is a nautical term well i think thats what i heard.

Old 10-11-2012, 17:22   #122
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I only have known two people I have ever called Captain without laughing to myself was a gentlemen who was at the time employed in the Navy operating a large warship. He was in fact a commander.

The other was a Vietnam vet who lost an arm, then came back to the states and ran a steel workboat commercially until he passed away two years ago. He and his boat were involved in a number of off shore military operations, including one for the CIA, and the Mariel boat lift. Before passing away he was also credited with helping to save hundreds of lived during the SAR operations in New Orleans by using his boat to provide water and power to the USCG station that was coordinating rescue operations.

In my eyes both of these men had earned the honorific.

I know a number of people who have 'captains' tickets and operate commercial vessels and heave never heard of any of them introduce themselves as Captain.

The only recreational boaters I know who introduce themselves as Captain are those involved in the charter industry running day trips, and those who do deliveries. I appreciate for advertising purposes why they do it, but still think its a little silly.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 18:29   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

I see licensed boat operators as captains and unlicensed boat operators as skippers. To use the surname for oneself comes across as arrogant. The title is something you earn, not obtain by purchasing a boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:04   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

If i wanted to call myself Cap'n Coops i guess that i could, and it would be my choice, but i would also be aware that a good majority of folks would consider me to have my cranium up my starfish if i did. Now enough folk think that already without giving them extra ammo.

Coops.
Old 10-11-2012, 21:10   #125
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I use my title in correspondence with the USCG, company officials etc..., when dealing with port authorities, they want to deal with the Master only. I have earned my title without apology to anyone. I do not as a rule introduce my self to others as "Captain" the use of captain in my user name here was due to lack of imagination rather than any pretense. I've never heard of any Doctor, be it a PHD or MD apologize for using their title they have earned it by a proficiency in their particular course of study. I am by no means insecure about my scope of knowledge or abilities, nor do I need anyone to address me as captain for me to feel fulfilled. I don't need to wear a name tag that says "Captain" on my shirt, nor do I. When things get tight, and dangerous, everyone is looking at me to come up with the answers, if I make wrong decisions it can cost someone their lives or limbs, I accept that responsibility without excuse.
Old 11-11-2012, 00:43   #126

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Hope this doesn't sound too pretentious but I was fortunate to have had the responsibility of being a real "Captain" on a US Navy submarine with the rank of Commander. Now I am captain of my significantly smaller sailing catamaran.

I agree with OP, Auzee, and many other posters on this threat that anyone who introduces him/herself as "Captain Bob/Jane" has an over inflated self image. I never have liked labels for myself or for others so I am not big on titles. However, those who have taken the exam and become officially licensed deserve a bit more respect than those of us who have simply bought a vessel to be captain of.

Talking about pretention, we have one up on rover88 (Pretention or culture?): My boat hat says I am the captain; Wife's hat says she is the Princess. We always tell those who refer to their wife as "Admiral" that we skipped that rank and went right to princess.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:26   #127

I had a couple of thoughts on this. ('theories' would be too grand a claim)

One was that some cultures have a high tolerance for self promotion, whereas in others, at the opposite end of the spectrum, it's considered shameful.

Another was that some cultures have a tradition of heroic mythology. (pretentious? moi? )

Cowboy movies (and Presidents) and Comicbook superheroes are perhaps manifestations with rather modern roots, but it strikes me that Germanic cultures have a strong and deep tradition of heroic mythology traceable from ancient times but kept alive through more recent centuries (witness Wagner's operatic settings of Goethe's retellings, Nietzsche's ‹bermensch, not to mention Adolph's shameless plundering of various mythologies in the service of fascism...)

Seems to me that the flame of the heroic mythology of the Viking era was not carried into the present with the same degree of enthusiasm, though... Modern-day Scandinavians strike me generally as grouped more towards the self-effacing end of the spectrum (with a few notable exceptions like the notorious Jarle A, whose talent for self promotion seemed to me uncharacteristic of national tendencies .... but perhaps there is a new renaissance of neo-Viking brashness gaining momentum in the era of social networking?)

An interesting question whose answer might throw a glimmer on this notion: I wonder if, say, German recreational sailors from pre WW2 routinely conferred honorific titles on themselves in the way which is being remarked on in this thread?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:57   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
I see licensed boat operators as captains and unlicensed boat operators as skippers. To use the surname for oneself comes across as arrogant. The title is something you earn, not obtain by purchasing a boat.
+1. Get the government ticket and you"ve earned it.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28   #129
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

the only place other than when I was in the real Navy that I've ever seen anyone introduce themselves or use the title Captain is ............ here on CF
Old 11-11-2012, 14:52   #130

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
As for our pretensions I believe the hats we had embroidered when we first bought our boat say it all. Below the name of our boat the wife's hat declares "Skipper", while mine proclaims I am the "Cabin Boy".
Princess received her cred's before I did. I think my rank is 'swabbie'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark's 219.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	49586  
Old 11-11-2012, 14:54   #131
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I dunno... that pic makes me think She's a Ma'am, not a princess... not sure what that makes you ; -D

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 15:11   #132

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
From Andrew Troup: An interesting question whose answer might throw a glimmer on this notion: I wonder if, say, German recreational sailors from pre WW2 routinely conferred honorific titles on themselves in the way which is being remarked on in this thread?
Not sure, haven't met any...or if I did, they're too far gone with Alzheimer's to be able to describe it. The German culture loves their titles even now....it's a strongly hierarchical system. Since freedom is not permitted, one must know which drawer one fits in so as to know how to interact with the other entities, er, people. That said, occasionally one is surprised by a self-effacing humble one that actually has earned respect based on real achievement and character...but it is the profusion of the other kind that make up for the lack of either that set the tone.

Quote:

Thank you for not showing how that photoshoot progresses....
Old 11-11-2012, 15:15   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Thank you for not showing how that photoshoot progresses....
Oh, dont discourage him, I was waiting for the whips and chains to come out
Old 11-11-2012, 19:05   #134

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-184872723.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	49595
Old 11-11-2012, 20:22   #135
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Yup, you know he's the one responsible for the trend.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: