Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2013, 22:05   #61
cruiser

did ya hear about jap lap dogs gettin whale meat treats.
here we are gullible denizens looking for something to do never realise them frozen prawns from the tackle shop that were trawled suffocating numerous bycatch including juveniles of what we're trying to go for in the first place and suffering again with fishing restrictions left right center on a plate sizer we went through all that trouble to get?
this planet is not running on tomorrows. its still a first in first served starting from the top fish down obviously at expense of da minnows...

Old 14-08-2013, 04:48   #62
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Plenty of Fish in the Sea?

We can also look closer to home to part of the problem. Farm runoff, destruction of the mangrove swamps, run off from the sugar production ruining the everglades, these are the places where life begins.

Old 16-08-2013, 06:20   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Many fish and plankton are relocating towards the North and South poles at an astonishing rate of hundreds of kilometres per decade in response to climate change, a new study has found...”

"Global imprint of climate change on marine life"
Sea life relocating fast in response to climate change - Technology & Science - CBC News

Old 25-08-2013, 04:34   #64

one of the big problems for coastal fisheries in Australia is loss of habitat ..in Cockburn sound just off fremantle the govt allowed dredging by a cement company which severely depleted the seagrass beds, when diving in Exmouth in the north west there was a magnificent sponge garden until trawlers ran through it one night effectively destroying everything on the bottom with their tickler chains , Hervey bay had the same thing happen there years ago and so it goes...no habitat no fish
Old 25-08-2013, 05:14   #65

Boat: none(fornow)

I watched something on the discovery channel about the oceans and how much life they can support and how much modern commercial fishing has depleted the population of certain species. The Blue whale is the perfect example, once they numbered in the tens of thousands, now there only an estimated 4000.
Old 25-08-2013, 06:17   #66
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Which is up from 300 which I believe was the low point for their population until the moratorium on commercial whaling.
Old 25-08-2013, 06:22   #67

Boat: none(fornow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Which is up from 300 which I believe was the low point for their population until the moratorium on commercial whaling.
Yes I have heard that number as well, so 300 to 4000 is the start of a good come back. But still in trouble are other species of whales and sea turtles.
Old 25-08-2013, 07:28   #68

Was still catching some nice fish on handlines in the Maldives a few years ago:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: CAPT. MIKE IN THE MALDIVES: DAY SIX

Meanwhile a fellow caught a Tuna by hand over on Block Island last week:

"Ultimate 2013 fishing story of the year... No bullsheet... This is Devlin Hart, a Block Island Boat Basin dock attendant who, on Thursday August 22nd, wrangled this 55lb albacore tuna IN New Harbor, Block Island, off a beach next to the marina. As a crowd noticed what was thought to be a shark in the shallow water, Devlin went to investigate and quickly saw that it was a longfin tuna. Assuming it was injured, Devlin waded in and tried to grab the tail, and it went berserk swimming up the beach a short distance. He then grabbed a line and ran it down, tail roped it and drug it up on the beach! The fish had no visible injuries, no gaff marks, hook holes, or scratches. Devlin Hart caught a tuna by hand in New Harbor - witnessed by many! Best story yet, hands down."
https://sphotos-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/h...84389388_n.jpg

Folks are catching nice Striped Bass under the marina docks a couple of hundred feet away from my mooring. Still see other fish popping around the boat in the harbor. Not everyday some days more than others. But, that's why they call it fishing.
Old 25-08-2013, 08:03   #69

Boat: sunk by irma

We frequently go down to Sandy Hook and spend the weekend at anchor in Horseshoe Cove. Without fail every weekend so far this summer we wake up on Saturday to see the same KMart inflatable boat with Vietnamese people fishing Porgy.

I have spent enough time watching them through the long eyes to know that they keep absolutely everything they catch regardless of size limits. Part of me respects the fact that they are likely poor and simply feeding their families, another part of me hates their guts.

I am not one to want to hate but I feel a similar disdain to the many who crab the canal on which my marina is located. No respect for size limit and they routinely keep young females, insane!

One stand out individual oft referred to is "the crab man" can be found working the canal all day everyday with traps and drip nets. We have reason to believe he sells his catch to a local restaurant, keep in mind there is a superfund site at the head of the canal that glows green and bubbles methane, the bottom of the canal is black sludge.
Old 25-08-2013, 08:30   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
We frequently go down to Sandy Hook and spend the weekend at anchor in Horseshoe Cove. Without fail every weekend so far this summer we wake up on Saturday to see the same KMart inflatable boat with Vietnamese people fishing Porgy.

I have spent enough time watching them through the long eyes to know that they keep absolutely everything they catch regardless of size limits. Part of me respects the fact that they are likely poor and simply feeding their families, another part of me hates their guts.
I have seen similar scenes from my boat too almost everyday! Never see even the small ones being thrown back. But, what bothers me more is they will trample over the marsh reeds and grasses along the shore to get to what they think is a better fishing spot and don't stay in the cleared areas of the beach helping to destroying the marsh area in the process.
Old 25-08-2013, 09:08   #71

I live on the gulf coast of the United States. It's pretty hard not to see that we are, as incredible as it sounds, literally depleting the ocean of fish.

Some species are in more trouble than others.

I wonder, sometimes, if it wouldn't be better to just stop all fishing for ten years or so, and see if we couldn't build some of the species back up.

Pretty hard to make that happen without using force.
Old 25-08-2013, 09:33   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I live on the gulf coast of the United States. It's pretty hard not to see that we are, as incredible as it sounds, literally depleting the ocean of fish.

Some species are in more trouble than others.

I wonder, sometimes, if it wouldn't be better to just stop all fishing for ten years or so, and see if we couldn't build some of the species back up.

Pretty hard to make that happen without using force.
Peak Oil can't happen soon enough for me. I recently read "The Big Oyster" by Mark Kurlansky, sort of a history of oysters in New York Harbor. It has been estimated that once upon a time New York Harbor had as much as half the world oyster population. At one point, early in the depletion of the local stocks it was recognized that the newly invented steamship was a major contributing factor and they were banned in many parts of the harbor in an effort to avert disaster with harvesting restricted to sail power.
Old 25-08-2013, 09:49   #73
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I looked up the blue whales on the wiki pedia, and they claim an estimated population between 5,000 and 12,000. That is a pretty big margin of error. Back in the day Bristol bay was restricted to only sail powered vessels and 32' length for harvesting salmon, and the 32' restriction still exists. If you pull nets all day by hand and sail in and out your efficiency is a lot lower than a factory ship that has a 100 ton cod end on their trawl, and they catch 3 of those on any given day. Back to the root problem, over population. The other root problem is greed. Commercial fishing in itself is not bad, how you go about it is what dictates the good or bad of it. I have seen lots of big tuna 150 miles due south of Louisiana, that doesn't mean the stocks are healthy, but they were bountiful in one spot.
Old 25-08-2013, 09:50   #74

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post

I am not one to want to hate but I feel a similar disdain to the many who crab the canal on which my marina is located. No respect for size limit and they routinely keep young females, insane!

One stand out individual oft referred to is "the crab man" can be found working the canal all day everyday with traps and drip nets. We have reason to believe he sells his catch to a local restaurant, keep in mind there is a superfund site at the head of the canal that glows green and bubbles methane, the bottom of the canal is black sludge.
I know I am going to regret asking this,

But what is a Superfund site,

The rest is Disgusting,
Old 25-08-2013, 10:29   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I know I am going to regret asking this,

But what is a Superfund site,

The rest is Disgusting,
During World War Two the prevailing attitude of "by any means necessary" meant that the environment took a back seat to war production. This was the case through the seventies when corporations dumped PCBs, Dioxin, and pretty much whatever they wanted in the water without consequence. In response to the environmental movement of the seventies the "Superfund" legeslation was enacted by congress in 1980 to fund clean-up of industrial pollution, as well as the "Clean Water Act" to stop people from dumping.

The result of these laws is that the water is cleaner than it was, sadly they will never be what they were. Do to the risk of dispersing said nasty chemicals through dedging, they remain in place in mainy waterways trapped in a black petroleum sludge on the bottom preventing the reintroduction of native species.

Superfund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
fish

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: