Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:49   #31

Re: Plenty of Fish in the Sea?

Just caught six mackerel on one line off the back of the boat in the marina-the water is literally boiling with fish today.....

Old 07-08-2013, 08:51   #32

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

50 years ago, They had sixty to 100 foot trawlers to fish with,

Greed got the better of the fishing companys,

Bigger ships catch more fish,

You now have a Factory ship the size of a luxury liner, that Catches, Processes, Cooks, Boxes, Freezes, Packaged ready for sale, all on board,

All fish waste is processed as Fertiliser, Cooked, Ground, Processed and packaged ready for sale,

It comes off the ship in 4 foot cubed Pallets, Plastic Coated and Sealed,

Nothing goes back into the sea, Environmentally Friendly, Yes,

Australia has gone mad with Marine parks, But we will have fish, Even if you cant catch them,

The people of Australia protested about this huge Factory ship that came here to clean out our seas of fish,

Its got the big shift, Piss off with your Factory ship, That thing will dredge the ocean of fish, There wont be any thing left in a very short time with that type of fishing,

This ship takes every thing in a huge net, Down to a kilometre, Nothing is waste, Nothing goes back in the sea,

The Japanese kill 30 ton of whale to get a piece of meat the size of your finger, How many thousand tons of whales do you need to kill for Research,

Its like saying that the fins from sharks are aphrodisiacs, You wont be breeding if your starving,

Whales for Research is B/S. They are still using the same Bugs from the 1918 A, Flu Virus for research,

Companys wont stop untill there is nothing left,

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52   #33
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

We might get lucky and have a pandemic that is antibiotic resistant and highly communicable that wipes out 90% of the population. Otherwise we will adjust our own population, by soiling the planet until it is too toxic to survive, then the earth will heal and eventually regenerate, maybe without homo sapiens.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:52   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigormortis View Post
The western Pacific will lose its tuna stock. I saw the tuna clippers pulling in to
Majuro and Pohnpei with 1000 tons every month. There are other offload atolls and islands where a reefer or cannery waits.
The skipper of the ship makes a lot of dough; the fish master (he flies alongside the pilot of the helicopter) makes a lot dough; the ship's owners make a lot of dough; the country in whose waters the fish were caught (each catch is GPS- documented so the $$$ can be apportioned correctly) makes a lot of dough.
There is a 'West Pacific Tuna Commission' in Pohnpei. The members of the commission and their sons drive around in brand new SUV's.
How can you stop this? Too much money going to too many people. The skippers know this, they all know this. It is like an addiction. They will fish until they can fish no more.
They kicked the tuna boats and canneries out of San Diego and there is a 3 month moratorium in Equador, where a lot of the ex-San Diego boats went, but the west pacific tuna will be history.
Here is a tuna clipper in Majuro, Marshall Islands.

See more about the tuna wipeout here:
How to catch a hell of a lot of tuna. |
Pete
Z-tuna is a very big fishing operation,I have seen these ships come into a port not to unload the fish ,but to unload two humans that feel into the hold,they were frozen solid before they hit bottom of the freezer deck..They left them where they fell and then put more fish on top of the bodies,when they hauled them up they were part of the catch..They line fish with just a hook and a line attached to a pole,the copter pilot looks for the schools and then the boats come in and clean up..It is a very ugly business and if it was the other way around the fish would be happy...
Old 07-08-2013, 08:54   #35
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Our local bay is teeming with pollock and pacific cod, and the crab and shrimp have disappeared.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56   #36

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"

Many years ago The Grand Banks were loaded with fish but when the Russian factory ships went "on station" in the area using small sized gill nets that brought up the very young as well as everything else, those of us that fished out of Provincetown saw immediate results. Now we reap the rewards of apathy.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08   #37

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

I thought this thread was about dating advice....
Old 07-08-2013, 09:29   #38

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

It only takes a trip to our local Kroger supermarket to make my hair stand on end. When you see the amount of frozen seafood that is in the cases and then realize that that is only one store out of thousands in the U.S. and I don't even think about the many many seafood specialty restaurants. I'm surprised that we can still enjoy seafood here in the Midwest. I asked the manager what they did with the socalled "fresh" seafood when it got too old and he said that they threw it out. I suggested that maybe they ought to offer it for sale at a reduced price before it reached its useful date and he explained that then people would just wait and not buy any until it was offered on sale. I couldn't argue with his logic. Whattaya gonna do?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F51 View Post
Eric,
I am deeply saddened by our poor stewardship of all the planet's resources, including marine resources. Just 50 years ago, the sea was much more abundant. I seems clear to me that the primary driver of this change is population pressure. The pace of change is accelerating, and that's very troubling. If you look at a graph of world population vs time, the curve is becoming almost vertical--obviously unsustainable. So I believe there is an apocalyptic event in our future. I think/hope I am old enough that I won't have to see it, but I worry about our children and grandchildren.
Yeah, ditto for me. The only way to save the planet will be population control and world govt. And that aint happening.... In retrospect a large nuclear exchange involving the largest population centers may have been the best thing for the planet.... in the long run!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:16   #40

Boat: Catalina 30

Rebel said:

...world population doubled from 1960-2010, but the 2010-2050 forecast only shows a 50%...

Why would you compare 50 years to 40 years?
And you do know that a smaller percentage of
a larger number can still be a larger product, no?

The issue is overpopulation, people.

Why is it common to hear the response to
someone becoming pregnant as, "Oh, that's
wonderful (clap, clap, clap)." No. It aint.

Our tax code still rewards more offspring. Why?

Most problems in the world stem from too many
people going for too few resources.

Stop having babies. Please. Stop.

Let the flaming begin.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:38   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Rebel said:

...world population doubled from 1960-2010, but the 2010-2050 forecast only shows a 50%...

Why would you compare 50 years to 40 years?
And you do know that a smaller percentage of
a larger number can still be a larger product, no?

The issue is overpopulation, people.

Why is it common to hear the response to
someone becoming pregnant as, "Oh, that's
wonderful (clap, clap, clap)." No. It aint.

Most problems in the world stem from too many
people going for too few resources.

Stop having babies. Please. Stop.

Let the flaming begin.
Water will be the next big shortage after the fuel crisis. That and food. I see they are cloning beef in a lab now, not so much because it would be better, but projections are that there will not be enough meat to feed people in about 40 years. It's a complex problem, population rises, freedoms have to be restricted. My guess is personal boats will be a thing of the past in as little as 50 years.
I hope Soylent Green tastes good!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:43   #42

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Fishing grounds are probably the best example of lassez-faire capitalism shortcomings. Stocks are doing reasonably well wherever quotas are managed by a government body capable of enforcing them, and are failing where no government is involved.

E.g., the last time I was involved in the fish business, Kamchatka and Alaska salmon populations were doing very well, because they are both harvested within the exclusive economic zone of a single state. Sea of Okhotsk pollock was reasonably okay, but not quite as good as salmon, mostly because a small triangle in the middle of Okhotsk Sea is not part of Russian EEZ, so no quotas enforcement there.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:45   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post

(...)

(...)
Because in some countries the only way to keep the pension illusion thing going is by having very many young people working for pensions of much fewer old people. It is a government issue.

Have you seen a fish retire? Well, as soon as it retires, it gets eaten by other fish. I have never seen young fish feed old fish either. Then again I am not a biologist.

Some simple issues have simple solutions, much as our PR minds tend to tell us otherwise.

b.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:49   #44

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My guess is personal boats will be a thing of the past in as little as 50 years.
FWIW, personal boats were available and present in decent numbers in Soviet Union. They were generally smaller (under 27'), and it took a bit more time, dedication, hands-on approach and teamwork to acquire and maintain one, but it was entirely possible.

So, I'm much more hopeful about the future of pleasure boating under the politically oppressive world government.
Old 07-08-2013, 13:53   #45

Boat: 45' CC ketch

I think (based on my own observations in other spheres of life) that mankind has no more than 50 years until it is wiped out. Maybe even less. Mankind, frankly speaking, deserves eradication. Too bad it may take the most of life on this planet with it...

Tags
fish

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: