Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 05:20   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Oooops! I said that??? What's your biggest foreign language Faux Pas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sounds like there might be a job opportunity here; offer language and translation services to new immigrants to the south from other parts of the US.
You got that right!

It ain't the y'all(s) and the fixin'(s) etc... That's easy... It's the extra vowels and dropped consonants... and obviously pronunciations...

I had no idea I was saying and spelling my name incorrectly all these years... Instead of Ed, it's two syllables and either 3 or 4 letters and a hyphen depending on how ya want to spell it.... aayed or a-ed...

And things like ... There's a town named Cairo close by... yes, just like the biggun' in Eee-gypped... If you don't pronounce it like the corn syrup, nobody has any idea what your talking about....
KAY-ROW

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 05:43   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
It ain't the y'all(s) and the fixin'(s) etc... That's easy... It's the extra vowels and dropped consonants... and obviously pronunciations...
Not only extra letters but how they are pronounced which can vary dramatically from place to place. I think many "furriners" don't realize that there is not a southern accent but many different versions. I can sometimes pinpoint not only the state but a specific part of a state a southerner came from.

Quote:
And things like ... There's a town named Cairo close by... yes, just like the biggun' in Eee-gypped... If you don't pronounce it like the corn syrup, nobody has any idea what your talking about....
KAY-ROW
Pronunciation of town names in the south can be baffling.

Small town in GA named Buena Vista, pronounced BIEW-na (biew rimes with view) Vista (with a short "I" like fist or mist).

Or another one in south GA named like the town in NY, Albany but pronounced all-BINY (accent on the second syllable).

Or the towns in NC and SC. Both spelled Beufort but one pronounced BIEW-fort the other BOW-fort.

Quote:
You got that right!

I had no idea I was saying and spelling my name incorrectly all these years... Instead of Ed, it's two syllables and either 3 or 4 letters and a hyphen depending on how ya want to spell it.... aayed or a-ed...

KAY-ROW
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 06:44   #33

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Pronunciation of town names in the south can be baffling.
I've seen the same. I was at a volunteer fire dept named Lafayette that stressed the end la-fa-YETTE. I've heard of someone going to a town down south Lafayette calling it like the first one, but a local firmly saying "It's la-FAY-ette!"
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:13   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I have a handy little book...'Latin American Spanish in 15 minutes'..... what it doesn't say is '... a day for the rest of your life.'

However.... at anchor somewhere in the south... one crew with decent spanish.... we invited a couple of hairy-arsed centolla fishermen over for tea and scones.

Having done 'greetings' in my book I was all set to greet them with a handshake and 'encandada' but noticed before it was my turn that it was 'Mucho Gustos' all round so I went with that.

Asked my crew later what was what... she cracked up.... seems 'encantada' is 'enchanted'... in the feminine...

A close call.... me being a good looking young fellow and all.
good one!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:35   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hou-ston street in ny is not pronounced hewston.
my mexican friends are always corrrcting me and having a laugh at my expense. especially when i come up with something that makes their eyes blow out.. then i know it is palabaras malas..... yep they let me know i goofed in nice ways... and splain the difference. learning spanish is easy.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:52   #36

Boat: Catalina 320

Visiting relatives in Wisconsin they asked where we crossed "the border", Eau Claire says I pronouncing it like Pepe LePew would. They looked puzzled before breaking out laughing saying "OH, You mean Oak Lair". They had difficulty understanding me, said I drawled and "talked like a cowboy". Ya Think, Hey?
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:12   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hou-ston street in ny is not pronounced hewston.
my mexican friends are always corrrcting me and having a laugh at my expense. especially when i come up with something that makes their eyes blow out.. then i know it is palabaras malas..... yep they let me know i goofed in nice ways... and splain the difference. learning spanish is easy.
One problem I have with Spanish is that it's very different country to country. Example, from Mexico, to Central to South America and Spain the word for banana could be:

banana
guineo
platano (where the green cooking plantain then becomes platano verde)

One country a local slang expression "le provoque un tinto" roughly translates as "can I talk you into a cup of coffee" but elsewhere could mean "does red wine provoke you".

I was diving in Mexico and called my weight belt cinta instead of cinturon. That got a laugh as cinta meant ribbon. Guess the idea of a ribbon around my wet suit was amusing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 09:33   #38

Boat: Catalina 30

Different southern accents:

jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 09:52   #39

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:

Small town in GA named Buena Vista, pronounced BIEW-na (biew rimes with view) Vista (with a short "I" like fist or mist).
Agh! Its not just the south with this problem. Colorado too suffers!

We too have a Buena Vista . And again, just like in GA, long time residents pronounce it "Bew-na Vista"!

Worse yet, the fair city of Pueblo is pronounced "Pee-ab-lo"

It grates on my brain!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 09:52   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:

Or another one in south GA named like the town in NY, Albany but pronounced all-BINY (accent on the second syllable).

Or the towns in NC and SC. Both spelled Beufort but one pronounced BIEW-fort the other BOW-fort.
Lordy, how else would you say Biewfort or All-Beny. I was born in All-Beny after all. Ya'll are mak'n me home sick.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 10:38   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Years ago, while asking an attractive young waitress for change in Spanish, I mispronounced "dolar" (dollar) as "dolor" (pain). She cocked her head, raised an eyebrow, and said "Qué tipo de dolor es lo que quieres? " (what kind of pain do you want?).

I just laughed and didnt answer that question, but I think if I had it would have cost me more than a dollar!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 11:16   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Lordy, how else would you say Biewfort or All-Beny. I was born in All-Beny after all. Ya'll are mak'n me home sick.
Nobody from Albany says All-Benny. I and my wife were born here and still live here, it's not All-Benny, It's Albany, just like that town in New York that it was named after

I do not know where that started, but seemingly a lot of people not from here think it's All-Benny, it's one of my pet peeves.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:06   #43

Quote:

KAY-ROW
Trying to stay out of this conversation but that last one got me laugh'n.

How does one pronounce Clorox?

ClOOOOOOOOox.

Some of the wife's relatives say ClOOOOOOOOox and I have been having fun with it for years. But the joke is know on me because it is hard for me to say Clorox and I end up saying ClOOOOOOOOox. :bi ggrin:

They stretch out some other vowels as well that I have fun with.

I have lived all over the South and it really is interesting how many different accents there are down her. NC seems to have more than other states though. The Outer Banks has the disappearing accent that is supposed to be close to Shakesperian English. Then there are accents in eastern NC, central, foot hills and in the mountains.

I have a pretty good ear for picking up accents and I work with many people who speak English as a second language. There have only been two people I struggled to understand what they were saying in English. One was a guy from Liverpool England and the other guy was from the Piedmont of NC.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:16   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I've seen the same. I was at a volunteer fire dept named Lafayette that stressed the end la-fa-YETTE. I've heard of someone going to a town down south Lafayette calling it like the first one, but a local firmly saying "It's la-FAY-ette!"
I do not know if this is true or not, but a native Floridan who lived in Miami all of his life and before the town turned into a city, said that the proper way to say Miami is Miamah not Miamee.

I have heard people pronounce Kissimmee Florida as Kissammee where the a is ah instead of em.

Then there is Louisville KY. A native says Lou'ville instead of LouEville.

later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:45   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Nobody from Albany says All-Benny. I and my wife were born here and still live here, it's not All-Benny, It's Albany, just like that town in New York that it was named after

I do not know where that started, but seemingly a lot of people not from here think it's All-Benny, it's one of my pet peeves.

Sorry about that, but I was born there too and ah have always called it all-benny. Though OK, I did spend most of my time in sa-VAN-nah.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote