Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50   #61
Registered User
 
caradow's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut/Caribbean
Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version
Posts: 472
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

Sorry celestialsailor a little off the subject but since you have generated a captive audience I must ask a question to all you fisherman.

How many of you eat Barracuda?

Have continued to throw them back however having eaten them as a child growing up in the Caribbean I remember the meat as one of the best tasting fish in the ocean.
Later on in life after becoming a physician and actually taking care of people with Ciguatera I have avoided this fish no mater what the size or the location. I have treated very sick unstable patients ending up in the ICU with IV pressors to keep their bloodpressure stable then on the other extreme treated people who only have a little diarrhea and vomiting.

It is something I never want to experience however I probably have thrown back 8-10 Barracuda in the past few months that I have been tempted to eat.

I have gone through the drills of asking locals what they do, however have never been able to get a consensus.
Probably south of St. Martin there is less Ciguatera but still not sure.
The commercial kits are apparently useless and you can forget about the folklore of cats and ants avoiding contaminated fish.

The only reliable test I know of came from an old fisherman who told me he never got ciguatera and when I asked him how he avoided it all those years he simple stated he always gave the Barricuda to someone else first and if they did not get sick he would eat it

So is there anyone out there eating one of the best tasting fish in the ocean?
__________________

__________________
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59   #62
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

I have eaten Barry with no ill effects, if near a reef, no more than 2' long. Some of the bigger ones offshore, had such a bad breath, that I did not eat them. I do not know if it was indicative of disease, I just didn't like the smell. In the south pacific, the locals used to feed questionable fish to the dog who spent the night barking, keeping everyone up.
__________________

__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16   #63
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Sorry celestialsailor a little off the subject but since you have generated a captive audience I must ask a question to all you fisherman.

How many of you eat Barracuda?

Have continued to throw them back however having eaten them as a child growing up in the Caribbean I remember the meat as one of the best tasting fish in the ocean.
Later on in life after becoming a physician and actually taking care of people with Ciguatera I have avoided this fish no mater what the size or the location. I have treated very sick unstable patients ending up in the ICU with IV pressors to keep their bloodpressure stable then on the other extreme treated people who only have a little diarrhea and vomiting.

It is something I never want to experience however I probably have thrown back 8-10 Barracuda in the past few months that I have been tempted to eat.

I have gone through the drills of asking locals what they do, however have never been able to get a consensus.
Probably south of St. Martin there is less Ciguatera but still not sure.
The commercial kits are apparently useless and you can forget about the folklore of cats and ants avoiding contaminated fish.

The only reliable test I know of came from an old fisherman who told me he never got ciguatera and when I asked him how he avoided it all those years he simple stated he always gave the Barricuda to someone else first and if they did not get sick he would eat it

So is there anyone out there eating one of the best tasting fish in the ocean?
I have used a handline on the reef and caught many small cudas(12'-15') we then stick them on the end of a stick and put the stick near a fire and let them cook /dry and have never been sick from eating them ,the large ones have a high mercury content from what I am told, I like small fish as the bigger they are the more they eat and the more they eat the higher the possibility they ate a lot of PCBs and other bad stuff ,stick to small fish and you should be ok,at least thats what NPR had to say about it last week...
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:29   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,761
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

not big ones--just barely legal ones--yummmmmm,,,,my son caught my first one...good kid--the fish was deelishusss for dinner.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:06   #65
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

I had good luck with handlines and still deploy them, but I also bought a "real" stand up rig with spectra top shot and 50lb mono. I've been managing to get fish for lunch and dinner most days, but I want to up my game with bigger fish. Hoping for a striped marlin this summer: fingers crossed.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:33   #66
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I had good luck with handlines and still deploy them, but I also bought a "real" stand up rig with spectra top shot and 50lb mono. I've been managing to get fish for lunch and dinner most days, but I want to up my game with bigger fish. Hoping for a striped marlin this summer: fingers crossed.
Good luck with that Marlin,ballywho and a pink rubber squid always seems to work for everyone but me!
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:25   #67
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: daytona beach florida
Boat: csy 37
Posts: 2,844
Images: 1
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

i was on potter cay dock last fall, where local boats come to sell their catch to the nassau market. i spoke with one of the fishermen as he quickly cleaned his catch (wish i had filmed him, would have made a great you tube flick). he had a few barracuda, about three feet long, and i asked him about eating them.

he just said, 'some do, i don't'.
__________________
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:57   #68
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,828
Images: 4
Tropicalescape its not the mercury you need to worry about w large cuda it is Cigueterra poisoning. The larger the fisb the higher the potential for the culmulative amount of toxins that can hit a critical level from eating smaller colorful reef fish. No cooking or prep will make it safe. Many say if the "cudas longer than your arm it can do u harm" ive tried smaller ones and find the meat nasty. And i eat almost any type of fish.
We troll everywhere we go two stand up rods on the outside s and two handlines on the inside attached to release clips. Being almost 17' wide gives us a good spread. We troll every color of rattlejet and catch lots of tuna mahi, king, lil tuny, cobia etc. We run stretch magnums in 15-20' depths and nail the grouper.along the fl coasts. We release alot but its fun time! One tip i use is if we catch a bft to eat we place it head down in a bucket and cut its gills. This makes for much hetter meat and it usually pump most of its blood out in a couple minutes. Saves your boat from looking like a murder scene. Works well w mahi too.
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:09   #69
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

Guys lets keep in mind that just as some folks seem to spend a lifetime sailing/cruising and keep learning every day the same is true for fishing. After graduating from med school my Dad moved back to his home town of Miami in 1954 and I have been sailing and fishing in that area since then. While I have learned a lot along the way I was recently given a book by a friend who was clean out his boat and I highly recommend it for anyone interesting in fishing while cruising

The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing: Scott Bannerot, Wendy Bannerot: 9780071427883: Amazon.com: Books

Lots of great information about all types of fishing while cruising along with tips about cleaning and cooking what you can harvest from the sea.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 17:20   #70
Registered User
 
Delancey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Boat: sunk by irma
Posts: 3,462
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

A few years back I did some crabbing while cruising in Puget Sound with a friend, we enjoyed several delicious meals compliments of few chicken necks and a ring basket trap while sitting at anchor.

I have done some reading on the forums at bluecrab.info and most folks in my area on the east coast seem to prefer the square topless traps over the kind with a top because the store more compactly. People who favor the kind of trap with a top point out that they don't loose any crabs if they don't pull the trap fast enough.

None of them seem to favor the ring traps, which also are topless, but for us as liveaboards without a lot of spare space the round edges look friendlier than a cube. Is round vs square a dungeness vs blue crab thing? Can you break the boxes down flat easily? them seem to ship as a flat pack that you need to assemble.

I am curious to know if anyone does any crabbing and what kind of rig they use? How many traps do carry onboard?
__________________
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 17:26   #71
Registered User
 
ReMetau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: Hans Christian 33
Posts: 648
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
A few years back I did some crabbing while cruising in Puget Sound with a friend, we enjoyed several delicious meals compliments of few chicken necks and a ring basket trap while sitting at anchor.

I have done some reading on the forums at bluecrab.info and most folks in my area on the east coast seem to prefer the square topless traps over the kind with a top because the store more compactly. People who favor the kind of trap with a top point out that they don't loose any crabs if they don't pull the trap fast enough.

None of them seem to favor the ring traps, which also are topless, but for us as liveaboards without a lot of spare space the round edges look friendlier than a cube. Is round vs square a dungeness vs blue crab thing? Can you break the boxes down flat easily? them seem to ship as a flat pack that you need to assemble.

I am curious to know if anyone does any crabbing and what kind of rig they use? How many traps do carry onboard?
I had a fold up I used at a marina, and I caught a few, but nothing worth the expense of the trap.

My experience has been that if you put the traps in open water, then they need to be weighed down. Most people I know with traps use poured concrete to weigh them down which would make it cumbersome on a sailboat.
__________________
Don & Diana
s/v ReMetau - a Hans Christian 33
http://www.remetau.com
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 21:04   #72
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sailing the Caribbean
Boat: Switch 51
Posts: 1,498
The round ones are nets and nets are a pain to store - always snagging on stuff. What about using a fishing pole with the little bait box on it like they use in the Pac NWest?
__________________
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 06:54   #73
Registered User
 
Delancey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Boat: sunk by irma
Posts: 3,462
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

Neko-The ring traps I am talking about are galvanized wire, not netting although I have seen cheapo ones like you are talking about online.

Also, you don't need a fishing pole but only to tie the bait to a string and throw it over the side. Crabs are greedy and will often not be willing to let go the bait to their own demise but sometimes they do.

I think the traps improve your success rate a long way beyond bait on a string and are fairly inexpensive. Here on the east coast the blue crabs are much smaller and more are needed to make a meal.
__________________
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 07:07   #74
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,908
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
...

How many of you eat Barracuda?

.....
So is there anyone out there eating one of the best tasting fish in the ocean?
Depends on the venue and the incidence of Ciguatera there. In FL -- no way -- but in Belize -- no problem.

I think the best guide is to ask the locals. If they eat it then you are not likely to have a problem. I don't think there is any such thing as building up a tolerance to Ciguatera so the locals are likely to be affected as you are.

A yummy fish for sure.


Re fishing rigs, man I've got almost everything you can think of aboard:

Cuban Rigs
Tuna Sticks (Lamiglass rods...nice...w/ good old Penn Senator 114H reels)
Spin Casting Rigs (several weights)
Fly Rod
Cast Net
Pole Spear
Hook Stick (for taking lobster)
and a big tackle box


Re rod holders for trolling: Tigress brand stainless...strong and lasts long (don't buy that cheap junk WM sells with a stainless tube and cast metal rail clamp....I've seen many of those fail)

I also have lighter weight plastic rod holders on the bows for holding spinning rods while at anchor....so they are right there and rigged ready for the next time I want to cast.

And, a catamaran makes a great fishing platform. I've run a spread of up to 5 rods off the back of cats....no need for outriggers...loads of deck space....easy fish landing on the transom steps. I even fly cast from the deck sometimes.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 07:27   #75
Registered User
 
Tia Bu's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Posts: 454
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

My wife loves crabbing. She uses a big rectangular crab trap. She also just uses chicken necks or backs tied to strings. She tosses the chicken out, lets it settle, pulls the string in very slowly, and ambushes the attached crab with a landing net right before it gets to the surface. A great afternoon of fun if you get into the crabs at a creek mouth.

We use cuban yoyos for offshore trolling. 120 pound test with a steel leader and metal spoon lure. I spent a couple of weeks with the wealthy Bahamian family who own one of the marinas down in Nassau. Those guys would take off on their big, fancy sportfisherman for a night of fishing and come back the next day with a boat load of fish. Not a rod or reel on board. For them, hand line fishing was the only real fishing. It IS fun to land them that way.
__________________

__________________
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishing on the Bar... Cheechako Seamanship & Boat Handling 3 05-02-2013 10:50
Setup and Handling: Traditional Sailing Rigs micah719 General Sailing Forum 14 30-08-2012 16:09
Providing Scuba and Fishing Trips on a Motor Yacht in the Canaries ? dabasek General Sailing Forum 12 13-11-2011 19:01
Fishing at Elfin Cove, Alaska SarasotaYacht Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 0 09-09-2011 13:31
Tourist Boat Sinks in Mexico vintageray Cruising News & Events 7 08-07-2011 00:51



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.