Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 13:31   #1
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

No matter where you stand on Obamacare, this is a hoot (MERGED THREADS)

I have tried to get onto the affordableboatact.gov site to see what kind of boat I qualify for but the site is temporarily down

The U.S. government has just passed a new law called: "The affordable boat act" declaring that every citizen MUST purchase a new

boat, by April 2014. These "affordable" boats will cost an average of $54,000-$155,000 each. This does not include taxes, trailers, towing

fees, licensing and registration fees, fuel, docking and storage fees, maintenance or repair costs.

This law has been passed, because until now, typically only wealthy and financially responsible people have been able to purchase

boats. This new laws ensures that every American can now have a "affordable" boat of their own, because everyone is "entitled" to a new

boat. If you purchase your boat before the end of the year, you will receive 4 "free" life jackets; not including monthly usage fees.

In order to make sure everyone purchases an affordable boat, the costs of owning a boat will increase on average of 250-400%

per year. This way, wealthy people will pay more for something that other people don't want or can't afford to maintain. But to be fair, people

who can’t afford to maintain their boat will be regularly fined and children (under the age of 26) can use their parents boats to party on until

they turn 27; then they must purchase their own boat.

If you already have a boat, you can keep yours (just kidding; no you can't). If you don't want or don't need a boat, you are required to buy

one anyhow. If you refuse to buy one or cant afford one, you will be regularly fined $800 until you purchase one or face imprisonment.

Failure to use the boat will also result in fines. People living in the desert; ghettos; inner cities or areas with no access to lakes are not

exempt. Age, motion sickness, experience, knowledge nor lack of desire are acceptable excuses for not using your boat.

A government review board (that doesn't know the difference between the port, starboard or stern of a boat) will decide everything,

including; when, where, how often and for what purposes you can use your boat along with how many people can ride your boat and

determine if one is too old or healthy enough to be able to use their boat. They will also decide if your boat has out lived its usefulness or if

you must purchase specific accessories,(like a $500 compass) or a newer and more expensive boat.

Those that can afford yachts will be required to do so...its only fair. The government will also decide the name for each boat. Failure to

comply with these rules will result in fines and possible imprisonment.

Government officials are exempt from this new law. If they want a boat, they and their families can obtain boats free, at the expense of

tax payers. Unions, bankers and mega companies with large political affiliations ($$$) are also exempt.
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
Old 03-11-2013, 16:20   #2
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just another thinly veiled attack on a good idea.

Dave

Old 03-11-2013, 17:24   #3

re: No matter where you stand on Obamacare, this is a hoot (MERGED THREADS)

Really funny. Thanks.

And I am sure the IRS will allow substantial write offs for the "yachties".

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Old 03-11-2013, 17:27   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What was the idea? To make medical insurance affordable?
No, it's a way to ensure that those that can afford insurance will subsidize those that can't. Just like we do housing, food, cell phones, and apparently now internet access and medical insurance.
The negative income tax isn't enough apparently. I just have to last long enough "hopefully" to escape having to watch it, because I will still be paying for it
Old 03-11-2013, 17:33   #5
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I have tried to get onto the affordableboatact.gov site to see what kind of boat I qualify for but the site is temporarily down
There are hearings scheduled to get to the bottom of the problem. The hearings of course are being run by exempt gov't types, who of course are experts at assigning blame to others not doing their jobs.
Old 03-11-2013, 17:45   #6

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Most of the civilized world cannot understand America's hang up with providing good healthcare for it's people. What are the rest of us all commos?
Old 03-11-2013, 17:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

oh boy...
Old 03-11-2013, 17:50   #8

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What was the idea? To make medical insurance affordable?
No, it's a way to ensure that those that can afford insurance will subsidize those that can't. Just like we do housing, food, cell phones, and apparently now internet access and medical insurance.
The negative income tax isn't enough apparently. I just have to last long enough "hopefully" to escape having to watch it, because I will still be paying for it
The idea was to make health insurance available regardless of pre-existing conditions and employer policies. In order to allow insurance coverage regardless of pre-existing conditions, something like the individual mandate is needed to prevent people from buying insurance only when they get sick. Since a large fraction of the population cannot afford health insurance, some form of subsidy is required for the low income people. And the availability of insurance on the exchanges breaks the link between employment and health insurance for many people. This allows them to start a business or move to another job.

I think the analogy between ACA and "affordableboatact.gov" is very superficial and contrived.
Old 03-11-2013, 17:53   #9

I thought we were supposed to be free of political bullshit on our sailing forum????? ____Grant.
Old 03-11-2013, 17:55   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Wow, so many words used to ..make a point?..comparing boat ownership to the ability to have access to life saving healthcare.

It boggles the mind.

Ron Paul's Campaign Manager Died of Pneumonia, Penniless and Uninsured
Old 03-11-2013, 18:12   #11

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran

Great post Peggy,I see some people just don't get sarcasm. By the way we are already paying for people who have preexisting conditions, or no insurance all they have to do is go to any emergency room and be treated until they are stabilized. By the administrations own admission there will still be around the same number of uninsured.
Rick
Old 03-11-2013, 18:17   #12
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I wonder if some people really read the first post on this thread? What is this talk about health care, I thought this was boat thread.
Old 03-11-2013, 18:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I thought we were supposed to be free of political bullshit on our sailing forum????? ____Grant.

Politics and religion are my two favorite subjects, but there are plenty of other places to discuss them other than CF. So I agree with you to a certain point.

Then again, perhaps the sailing community would like to discuss these issues amongst themselves.

As long as it is a civil and intelligent discussion, I would prefer the freedom of speech and ideas over a fascist style censorship of speech and ideas.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, even if it is wrong.
Old 03-11-2013, 18:23   #14

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wonder if some people really read the first post on this thread? What is this talk about health care, I thought this was boat thread.
+1, sense of humor everyone.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 03-11-2013, 18:29   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
By the way we are already paying for people who have preexisting conditions, or no insurance all they have to do is go to any emergency room
Or turn 65. Whichever comes first…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: