Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 14:54   #61

Re: No Go Zones

The world is a much different place than 15-20 years ago. Random acts of violence pop up almost every where now. I visited 49 countries before I retired from the navy, and I doubt that I will ever have the urge to go back to any of them. (Scotland and NFLD Canada might be the only exceptions)
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 15:27   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
The world is a much different place than 15-20 years ago. Random acts of violence pop up almost every where now. I visited 49 countries before I retired from the navy, and I doubt that I will ever have the urge to go back to any of them. (Scotland and NFLD Canada might be the only exceptions)
Old Newfie joke...

You know how to tell who are the Newfies in hevan?

They are the ones who want to go home!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 16:11   #63

Abu Sayyaf is asking for $5.6 million by 10/17/2014 and have the German government stop operations against ISIL in Syria and Irag or they will behead the two victims.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 17:38   #64

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Posted my emotion - was deleted. Now posting my heartfelt wish for these folks to be released to their family. And or the ………... of Abu Sayif.
Old 18-10-2014, 08:02   #65

Sorry im fighting to the death if I go im taking atleast one of them with me. I will not be used fir propaganda or anything else. You will not see my head being dispatched from my body on youtube. If you look like food. You will be eaten.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-10-2014, 08:21   #66

The two German hostages were freed on 10/17/2014 after a ransom was paid. The report this morning said they were at the German embassy in Manila. There is a photo where it looks like the man has a black eye.

German hostages freed in Philippines - The Local

Quote:
General Gregorio Catapang told reporters that the pair had been taken to a military hospital after their release.

DXRZ radio, based in the city of Zamboanga, had earlier broadcast an interview with a spokesman for the hostage-takers, who claimed they had received a ransom payment.

TV station GMA News quoted an unnamed government official, who said that 60 million pesos (around €1m) had been paid to secure the hostages' release.

There was no official confirmation of the reports early on Friday afternoon. The Islamists had set a deadline of Friday for payment or one of the hostages would be killed.

The Foreign Ministry in Berlin had confirmed at a press conference earlier on Friday that one of its crisis negotiators was in the Philippines to deal with the case.

The 72-year-old German doctor and his 55-year-old partner, both from Hesse, were abducted in April while sailing around the islands, and have been forced to appear repeatedly in videos released online and on local radio.

Abu Sayyaf had been demanding a ransom of more than 250 million pesos (€4.4 million) for their release, as well as insisting that Germany cease all support for the battle against Isis in Iraq.

Earlier on Friday they announced a two-hour extension to their 7am deadline before beheading one of the couple if the payment of the ransom were promised over the phone.

Filipino armed forces were also reportedly preparing to rescue the pair, two anonymous soldiers told DPA. But officials wouldn't confirm the reports at the time.
Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 15:00   #67

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I saw this story this week. Sad.

Two Swiss men killed in Philippines resort town - The Local

The US embassy says to avoid this area of the PI but this place was the more northern fringe of the danger area and some might consider it safer than places farther south. Robbers don't usually just shoot two people in the head much less not take anything of value from the victims.

Later,
Dan
I agree. Let's not be too hasty about adding Opol to the N/G list. After all, if you can still find girlfriends there when you're 78, it might be worth the risk to some of us...

On the other hand, this tends to add fodder to my critique of my #1 daughter for having baptized her #2 son also "Baltazar", instead of something nice, like "Jacques".

Now, he'll not only have to go through school with a really dumb-sounding nickname, but statistically, his chances of being shot before he's 80 have increased exponentially. Case in point; How many "Baltazars" have you known that actually made it to retirement age without being shot dead by a pimp?

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 17:40   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It would Be nice if there was some kind of clearing house for this information. A color coded map showing the difficult regions for both health and security issues.

I suppose one would have to find a way to make it commercially viable to work.

I don't suppose any such service already exists?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 02:23   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

I had a message from one of our Sydney cruisers forum forum members yesterday who was very lucky to have not been in the café!

fortunately he skipped his morning coffee and was later evacuated by the police from the area.

BBC News - Sydney siege: Three dead after commandos storm cafe
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 07:20   #70

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
It would Be nice if there was some kind of clearing house for this information. A color coded map showing the difficult regions for both health and security issues.

I suppose one would have to find a way to make it commercially viable to work.

I don't suppose any such service already exists?
http://safetyandsecuritynet.com/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 09:02   #71

Re: NO GO ZONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A very important statement. One needs to update their knowledge by looking at sites such as the US site that detail the current activities in countries and break the countries down into smaller areas.

Also in some cases these do vary by your nationality. While this is often thought to impact US travelers more, there are countries in which the French are considered more the enemy than the US.

Actually the UK site has a good up to date statement on Turkey.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to the towns of Akḉakale and Ceylanpinar and against all but essential travel to areas within 10km of Turkey’s border with Syria.

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the provinces of Hakkari, Sirnak, Siirt and Tunceli. You should be especially vigilant when travelling in other provinces in south eastern Turkey and in areas close to the Syrian border. See Terrorism and Local Travel - Syrian border.

Over 2,500,000 British nationals visit Turkey every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

I look at Mexico as a good example for us in the US. There are areas that the state department advises against all travel and other areas they have no alerts or warnings for. It is covered state by state on the state department's web site.
Relying entirely upon statements issued by the U.S. State Department and other government agencies - regardless of country - is not recommended. A recent news article reporting troubling new developments in Baja Sur (South Baja) has not yet appeared in U.S. official warnings. Here's one take on the situation there:

"In the past month, the normally peaceful state of Baja California Sur, Mexico has seen a rash of murders, which authorities have blamed on a conflict between the Sinaloa Cartel and a new alliance between the Zetas and the Beltran Leyva Organization.

According to Zeta magazine, Baja California Sur has registered 10 murders in the past month alone, all of which are believed to be linked to organized crime.

The Beltran Leyva Organization (BLO) is using local criminal cells and a partnership with the Zetas in order to intensify its long-running conflict with the Sinaloa Cartel, authorities told the magazine.

In one recent outbreak of violence, the head of the drug trafficking "plaza" in coastal town Los Barriles was killed by a group of assassins who poured as many as 60 bullets into his body.

The man's top lieutenant was killed that same night by the same group of assassins, alongside his girlfriend, a bartop dancer, who was struck by a stray AK-47 bullet as she cowered under the bed. According to Zeta, two state police are believed to have participated in these murders, although it is not yet clear whether they were acting on behalf of the Sinaloa Cartel or another organized crime group.

In another incident, two foot soldiers for the BLO were kidnapped and tortured by a gang who said they worked for the Sinaloans, according to testimony the two men provided to the state Attorney General's Office.

SEE ALSO: BLO News and Profile

The two survivors said they were kept in a house and beaten while the assailants took photos with their cell phones. They also said they overhead their attackers talk about their alliance with local police.
InSight Crime Analysis

Baja California Sur saw just 56 homicides total in 2013. The state has typically been one of the more peaceful areas in Mexico, and Zeta's reporting indicates the unusual recent violence is already attracting the attention of federal authorities, who have initiated investigations in the state.

The BLO reportedly previously met with the Zetas in a "narco-summit" held earlier this year, in which some of Mexico's largest criminal organizations allegedly discussed reconfiguring the country's drug trafficking landscape. Given that all the cartels reportedly present had a common enemy, the powerful Sinaloa Cartel, it is likely the discussion involved forming an anti-Sinaloa alliance. The violence in Baja California Sur could be one sign that such a pact is already being carried out."

Looking at another site oriented toward promoting tourism in Mexico we find no link to news regarding these recent developments, only a statement there is no change to the most recent State Department notice. Mexico Travel Warning in Perspective

In many possible destinations one should consider the plus and potential negative sides of going there, based upon a comprehensive review from a variety of sources. Government advisories may not be released until after someone ignoring current events is harmed.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 00:48   #72

Boat: Spencer 35

Sent from my E380 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
haulback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 01:18   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: NO GO ZONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
You gotta be kiiding me!!!

These are the countries on that list I have very recently visited or lived in and where I also feel very safe. FAR safer than I ever feel when visiting the UK:

Bahrain, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Turkey.

That said, Kenomac, it might just be an idea to drop that US flag!

I'd be interested to see how the crime stats in these countries compare to France. Or even more interestingly, to the UK or USA!
how time flies,i posted this thread only a year ago.
do you still feel the same about Egypt?........Tunisia?.........france?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote