Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 17:28   #31
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: New Live aboard couple - games you play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I hope we never lose the appeal for board games over the desensitizing death and destruction vidiot games

How about movies? Plenty of violence there, and people rave about them. Look again, for instance the game I linked a clip of is very closely based on the plot of a very popular series of Russian post-apocalyptic sci-fi books. It's way more faithful, artfully executed, and entertaining than any movie version of the same series of books possibly could be, and provides vastly more hours of engagement as well. The artwork is absolutely stunning and a totally new and different media when compared to film. The voice acting is superb as well. This form of media has IMHO in many ways already superseded film (the market agrees, games make more money than Hollywood), although they are separate media and can't really be compared, and obviously both will continue to exist; it's not like they compete directly. Film provides a little nugget of story, easily digested. A game can be far more involved and in-depth, and involve many other players too. I've logged over a thousand hours on many games, much much more on some. You are short changing yourself if you refuse to consider this media for entertainment, it's fascinating stuff which only gets better and better. The only reason not to do it is lack of time (I just game instead of sleeping late night-priorities!), or lack of funds for a rig with sufficient horsepower for serious gaming. Board gaming is great, I do it with my kids, makes sense for cruising. But the question was-games you play. I happen to be a long time server admin for this one. Can't see sitting and playing a card game when I can be doing this either solo or with many others online-including my wife. As to desensitization, look around and you'll realize that a ridiculously high percentage of the people who play this sort of game are active military, ex military, or soon to be military. Many servers are run by military units, some clans are unit based and train online all the time. I wouldn't worry too much about desensitizing this sort, especially since the average kid these days has grown up with violent movies and TV. It's not the games, even many popular board games are based on violence (Risk, etc.). Human nature....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 17:52   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
OK lets get the ground rules straight I the Miss "am hand on heart truly geeky". Ask my children they will confirm this is so...

misscatana.com
For a real world (not computer) game I would recommend the Dominion cards... There are multiple expansions if you like but even with just the basic set, the game is constantly changing.

Also a card game called Flux. There are many different varieties, including a Pirates version.

For electronic games I recommend Minecraft. Fun alone or you can link with your family or across servers. Cheap, set your own difficulty and constantly evolving...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 18:46   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
As to desensitization, look around and you'll realize that a ridiculously high percentage of the people who play this sort of game are active military, ex military, or soon to be military. Many servers are run by military units, some clans are unit based and train online all the time. I wouldn't worry too much about desensitizing this sort, especially since the average kid these days has grown up with violent movies and TV. It's not the games, even many popular board games are based on violence (Risk, etc.). Human nature....
This makes perfectly good sense that it would be directed at pro-military people. The people I know and knew wanted nothing to do with violence or killing once they came home from "over there". I have seen my fair share. I'll take a board game, thank you.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 19:19   #34

Boat: Lafitte 44

UNO no one plays Uno anymore???
Old 17-09-2013, 20:48   #35

Boat: Fantasia 35

The (Geeky) Miss,

RPG (e.g. D&D)

For Geeks the whole of spacetime is available on the table top.

Role-playing game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enjoy,

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 20:58   #36

Boat: Seafarer 34 CB

Our dogs honestly provide us with the most entertainment aboard. Its almost embarrassing. We even make voices for them and talk to each other. Its amazing what you'll do for entertainment. We also have these trivia cards for 6th graders that are surprisingly difficult as well as a new (to us) scrabble set. We also have ipad/tablet games.

Kelley
Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean | Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean
facebook.com/sailingchance
Old 17-09-2013, 21:10   #37

Boat: Celestial 48

Dominos
Cribbage
Stuff on the iPad if other person not willing to play one of the above.
Have a guitar which fills more time than the games however.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 21:12   #38

Boat: Catana 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingChance View Post
Our dogs honestly provide us with the most entertainment aboard. Its almost embarrassing. We even make voices for them and talk to each other. Its amazing what you'll do for entertainment. We also have these trivia cards for 6th graders that are surprisingly difficult as well as a new (to us) scrabble set. We also have ipad/tablet games.

Kelley
Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean | Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean
facebook.com/sailingchance
Hi Kelley,

Firstly had a visit of your site - love love love

We have a dog who is with us 24 / 7 She goes to work everyday with my husband and is a big part of our family. Lilly the wonderdog has no problem talking human as she thinks she is off the four legged variety. Leaving children is not our issue but leaving our beautiful girl if she is still alive at our point of departure.....

Re the game suggestion - trivia is a top idea, thanks.

Good luck with your adventures

The Miss
misscatana.com
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 21:17   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
For a real world (not computer) game I would recommend the Dominion cards... There are multiple expansions if you like but even with just the basic set, the game is constantly changing.

Also a card game called Flux. There are many different varieties, including a Pirates version.

For electronic games I recommend Minecraft. Fun alone or you can link with your family or across servers. Cheap, set your own difficulty and constantly evolving...
Hi Andy

Thanks for recommendation
I have just ordered Flux the pirate version off ebay - it was an impulse buy but the review from user was 10/10. Dominion cards I will look into as well.

I'll have to let you know

Cheers the Miss
misscatana.com
Old 18-09-2013, 05:28   #40

Boat: islandpacket
I find that I am so tired after sailing and clean up then cooking and then fixing stuff and then tring to figure out my next stop I just ..........sleep. When most is done I read and enjoy the view
Old 18-09-2013, 05:35   #41

Hi Badsanta,

My favourite game of all is read with music in the background. Yet a good game with good company is still one of life's great pleasures. Plus a game makes me social and stop me from being a lonely geek. This posting has been a huge insight for me. I have even started putting all suggestions together with rules on my new website
“Games You Play” | Miss Catana A work in progress

I'm amazed at how generous people have been with advice and suggestions.
This has been fun
Thanks
the Miss
misscatana.com
Old 18-09-2013, 16:12   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugout View Post
Traditional card games; Gin, cribbage, Pinochle, Bridge, Whist, and Bid Whist.
It's hard to beat a good cigar, three fingers of whiskey, and a serious game of penny-a-point Gin, in the light of a oil lamp.
Hi there,
I am trying to find the rules to penny a point gin to put up on my site but no luck finding. Are you able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks
the Miss
misscatana.com
Old 18-09-2013, 17:33   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

I am very interested to know the games you play on board your boats.

(...)
Stripped Poker, Master and Servant and Mutiny on Booty are our faves.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 13:22   #44

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeon_tsd View Post
UNO no one plays Uno anymore???
We do, the whole family.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 15:23   #45

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
I used to love connect four as a kid playing with siblings. No idea what happened to this game though. A great game I used to love. A must hunt down and gather item.

As to your word serious if you mean totally absolutely crazy competitive when playing.... at times it has been know to be "serious" in our house so yes connect four will work.

Cheers the Miss
misscatana.com
Amazon.com: Connect Four: Toys & Games

I could use a good curry recipe.

Tags
game