Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2013, 00:17   #1

Boat: Catana 42
New Live aboard couple - games you play?

Hi there

My captain and I have recently purchased a catana 42 and are looking to set sail in at end of next year.

I am very interested to know the games you play on board your boats. We currently play card games but would like to expand our stocks with some good board games or new games.

Any suggestions

Many thanks
The Miss
misscatana.com
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 03:16   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Its funny we brought 3 or 4 different games and have yet to ever play one. Other than cards occasionally. Everytime we get together w another couple we intend to play a game we end up just talking for hours. I think our cat gives us the most amusement. Having said that we do have pictionary, yatzee, and a few others
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 03:22   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: New Live aboard couple - games you play?

We used to play lots of dominos.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 06:21   #4

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick

My wife and I like scrabble. I don't enjoy cards or games of chance, but Scrabble keeps the brain engaged.
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 06:32   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
Hi there

My captain and I have recently purchased a catana 42 and are looking to set sail in at end of next year.

I am very interested to know the games you play on board your boats. We currently play card games but would like to expand our stocks with some good board games or new games.

Any suggestions

Many thanks
The Miss
misscatana.com

I think you're going to find that you spend your recreational time differently on the boat, for instance, just sitting in the cockpit taking it all in as the sun sets at anchor. You'll meet other sailors, and there will be lots of story telling.

If I were you I would think about games you can play in the cockpit without it all being blown around if a puff of wind comes up.

Charter a boat for a few weeks, the sooner the better. You don't have any way to imagine this life because you haven't done it yet. I admire your enthusiasm and you deserve to know what to anticipate (and it really will be mostly good, and the part that isn't will give you great stories to tell!)

Since you're going to have a catamaran, I suggest you charter a catamaran -- it doesn't have to be as big as the one you're buying -- because they sail a little differently (sometimes a lot differently) than a monohull boat, the cabin space will be different, etc.

And take some motion sickness meds the first couple of days. It *may* take a little getting used to for you. I prefer Bonine. I can take it the night before, and it doesn't make me groggy. I do think it makes some people groggy, so you might want to try a couple just to see how you react to it before the charter begins.

You're so enthusastic, I think you're really going to enjoy this, but I think you will have more fun anticipating it if you've already done it a little.

It is not completely impossible to have a washer and dryer on a catamaran, although you will likely only be able to use them when in port. Your husband should ask the manufacturer, because I've seen them on cats in the size range you're talking about.

Don't want to make marital trouble here, but maybe there's a way to work it out. On the boat I saw it on, they had bought the boat in South Africa and sailed all the way to the west coast of Florida, so it must have worked out fairly decently. I'm pretty sure it wasn't used while underway.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:27   #6

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

We usually play backgammon, cards games, Shut the box, boat trivia, Chips. My wife's favorite game is Genga and we need to come up with a set of gimbals for the base to see if it can be played on a boat.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:38   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

many folks i encountered along the way play cards , backgammon or cribbage.
i do not play games, nor do i drink excessively and throw myself under buses but i see folks getting together over booze and dominoes, aka mexican train, in the bars and marina clubs as i go out meeting new folks and trying new places.
there is a gathering of like souls who do play and drink, and they will announce over vhf the meetings and places-with the morning cruisers net you will learn where and what.
each locale has a different vhf channel and time--it is usually 68 within usa and it is 22 here in mexico. times differ along coast .

i actually read books. i fish, i walk around town seeking provisions and encounter local folk who assist in finding cosas mas baratas......i do not shop in the gringo stores and i do not frequent the gringo hang outs.

dang i dont sound like much fun---lol i have a lot of fun. you dont know what is out in the wilds unless you go there, and games, television, and interwebs prevent just that

and i know where to get stuff repaired by walking by the stores and asking questions as i watch them work, or as i pass cantinas observing accidentally how much alcohol is consumed at lunch and taking my items elsewhere...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 15:36   #8

Cribbage, just got monopoly for the ipad too, both will help you wile away the hours.
Captain Mack28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 16:54   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

We took a Rummikub set along (also called Rummy Tiles). It's a tile game similar to gin rummy. You combine your tiles in runs (consecutive numbers in the same color) or sets (groups of the same number). Since the tiles are plastic, similar in size and shape to dominoes, they're easy to manage.
Old 16-09-2013, 17:15   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Tri-Ominos (dominoes with triangular pieces) is one of our favorite games. It is easy to learn and doesn't take undo concentration so it doesn't interfere with conversation. Several people we have introduced to it have bought their own set.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 17:29   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

It's the 21st century. No Scrabble for me.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 18:05   #12

Boat: Fantasia 35

My suggestion is that if you are musically inclined, pick a couple of compatible instruments and enjoy playing together. You know what they say, "it is better to play with a friend, then with yourself".

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 18:08   #13

Boat: Catalina 36

Why has no one linked the sex thread yet?
Old 16-09-2013, 19:27   #14

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41

Aboard Mystique we have the following
Playing the Ukulele
Cards - we can hold our own on most games
Scrapple - iPad
Monopoly - iPad
Backgammon - 50 year old kit (awesome)
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 19:39   #15

Boat: Pearson 33

Traditional card games; Gin, cribbage, Pinochle, Bridge, Whist, and Bid Whist.
It's hard to beat a good cigar, three fingers of whiskey, and a serious game of penny-a-point Gin, in the light of a oil lamp.
dugout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game