Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 15:20   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

New Bike . . . .all Italian . . . . . (for Kenomac)

Pinarello Dogma F10 Disk; Campagnolo Super Record (electronic shifting plus disk brakes); Most handle bars. These are the 'climbing wheels' in the picture (303's), I have deeper (858's) more aero ones for flat days.

When I got my last bike Kenomac gave me a hard time about the Japanese components, so he should like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	F10 Disk.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	165515

Regarding a different thread, on human powered watermakers . . . Beth can generate 100 watts FTP after biking (pretty 'hard' - eg sweat dripping and hard breathing) 30 minute every day for the past 9 months (indoors during the winter). I can generate about 200 watts FTP after several hours/day training the past 9 months (very roughly half what a pro can generate, also true for my short term power)
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 18:30   #2

Re: New Bike . . . .all Italian . . . . . (for Kenomac)

I’ll bet that bike cost more than I spend on a car! [emoji54]
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 19:50   #3

Boat: Boatless

Fabulous bike, do you keep it on the boat? I only keep $100 ones on the boat!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I’ll bet that bike cost more than I spend on a car! [emoji54]
Perhaps.
But this is a sailing forum where talking about ridiculously expensive toys is pretty normal.
And it did cost less than a 3di mainsail for Hawk.

However, I will admit I should probably get mental health counseling . . . because I also have these two, which may be a bit excessive

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	165528

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	165529

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Fabulous bike, do you keep it on the boat? I only keep $100 ones on the boat!
No, we don't have a boat anymore. Settled ashore. The bikes are my main hobby these days. I am super impressed by the Bike tech . . . is both fabulously fun and works amazing well/reliably. And with a mimi-mill and 3d printing you can tinker to hearts desire making actual functional custom parts.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:12   #5

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

That is one beautiful stead! ........ great choice
With that bike you will be breaking on the uphills
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:08   #6

Boat: Boatless

Now I understand...no boat...I have just spent the price of your lovely bike fixing my boat!

However, on a recent cyclone-hiding visit to the Marshal Islands I did ride my $100 bike 1,200 nm on a 20 nm long atol

Boat for sale will trade for a new bike!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:23   #7

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Awesome! Now where do I store it(them)on board?
Wonder if the cap’n would let me keep in v- berth?
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 13:32   #8

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Yaw, Stargazer, she is a beauty. I was at Svensen's boat place in Alameda...couple of months ago. They had one of those bikes that have high end components and collapsible. It was over 6k dollars. I started to giggle. My beat up boat cost less than that before plunking another 20K into her restoration.

If i told my wife i needed a 5K dollar bike that i could collapse and put on the boat...and we needed two of them...i should previously have adorned myself with full body armor and flame resistance shields before opening mouth. I should also be uphill from her with razor wire, mine fields, and puji sticks well concealed. Then i would have a 25 percent chance of escaping unscathed.

Men and toys...we are insane. Then again she can't understand how my Hayabusa costs me 12K when new. Then I had carbon fiber wheels for 3500. Then the full titanium race pipe single sided for 1800. Then the full race shocks and front end revalved and re-ported for 2000. The new paint job was only 5K. New disc plates were less than 1k....i could keep going but you get the idea. We are nutts...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 14:42   #9

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I once biked with a guy who had several expensive bikes, plus a trimaran, windsurfing gear, etc. As I was contemplating buying a boat I asked him about all his gear and the expense. He put matters in the right sort of perspective when he said you could spend your money on toys or pills.

I know what I'd rather do.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:41   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

The chain and gear shifters are a disaster waiting to happen, I have carried bikes aboard since 2002 and about 4 years ago changed to shaft drive with in hub gearing and would never go back to chain drive for a sea-going bike.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:52   #11

Boat: It’s old

Mid 90's chromoly steel mountain bikes without any suspension make great economical bikes. Look for STX, Deore or if you get really lucky, XTR componetry, if you are fussy about quality.
kimtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:37   #12

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The chain and gear shifters are a disaster waiting to happen, I have carried bikes aboard since 2002 and about 4 years ago changed to shaft drive with in hub gearing and would never go back to chain drive for a sea-going bike.
Begging to differ Raymond. We have carried geared bikes on board for all of our now 22 year circumnavigation with only minor problems and consider them essential cruising equipment. They need to either disassemble easily or fold but carried in a padded bag and stored below of course, survived for years. Ours carried on a junk rigged Gazelle, btw shortly on the market bikes included (-:, are still in great shape. They are not multi thousand dollar bikes, nor are they cheapoes. Anything looked after well will last for years without disaster and we used ours where ever there were roads-------

Jim and Helen sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:57   #13

Boat: no boat any more

fabulous evans, fabulous, the pinarello
BUT: now you gotta get one for this:

(this will be when you really will be hooked...! guarantee you at least some of the sailing adrenaline... did at least for me...)
Old 07-03-2018, 22:47   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
Begging to differ Raymond. We have carried geared bikes on board for all of our now 22 year circumnavigation with only minor problems and consider them essential cruising equipment. They need to either disassemble easily or fold but carried in a padded bag and stored below of course, survived for years. Ours carried on a junk rigged Gazelle, btw shortly on the market bikes included (-:, are still in great shape. They are not multi thousand dollar bikes, nor are they cheapoes. Anything looked after well will last for years without disaster and we used ours where ever there were roads-------

Jim and Helen sv GAIA
I struggled with geared bikes for years before I changed over to the shaft drive. The last geared bike I had I missed a short section of chain when I CRC'd the chain and did not notice it. When I went to use it the frozen part would not go through the derailluer and tore it off. In addition the chain mechanisms were always snagging and hooking on things and were a menace to life and limb when travelling in the dingy and I was forever getting grease on my clothes when travelling in close proximity to the chain.

I will never go back to chained bikes again having now experienced shaft drive.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 00:27   #15

Boat: no boat any more

if chaincum derailleur is a nono: shaftdrive is very expensive & there is extremely limited choice. better to go with 14 speed Rohloff & Gates carbon drive (can't have fiull suspension then though, limiting you on the stairs somewhat...doable with a hardtail too though :-) )