Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 12:02   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Need Knot suggestion

HI all -

I need to make a neck strap for my concertina and I'm looking for a fancy nautical weave I could use for the area where the strap contacts the back of the neck. I plan to use parachute cord. The built-up area at the neck should be about 12-inch long and at least 1-inch wide to prevent it digging into the neck.

I've played around with a single rope braid on a 3/8-inch line. It turned out pretty well, but I didn't like the way it would keep tightening up with use.

I might try an ocean plait mat next, but I would need to weave the side strings into the mat and I was hoping for something that would be all one piece.

Suggestions?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Need Knot suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
HI all -

I need to make a neck strap for my concertina and I'm looking for a fancy nautical weave I could use for the area where the strap contacts the back of the neck. I plan to use parachute cord. The built-up area at the neck should be about 12-inch long and at least 1-inch wide to prevent it digging into the neck.

I've played around with a single rope braid on a 3/8-inch line. It turned out pretty well, but I didn't like the way it would keep tightening up with use.

I might try an ocean plait mat next, but I would need to weave the side strings into the mat and I was hoping for something that would be all one piece.

Suggestions?
I am NOT the most knowledgeable or a Knot Master....but there are some, and here are a few links I can suggest:

Ashley Book of Knots
600+ pages. Classic.
https://www.amazon.com/Ashley-Book-K.../dp/0385040253

From your description of your proposed project, i think the following videos would be my first step of research. Many could be adapted for use as a strap.

Youtube Videos about Fusion Ties (knots and things).
400 instructional videos.
https://m.youtube.com/user/TyingItAllTogether

The following book is by the man who made all the Fusion Ties videos linked up above.

Paracord Fusion Ties - Volume 1: Straps, Slip Knots, Falls, Bars, and Bundles Paperback – August 31, 2012
by J.D. Lenzen
112 pages.
About the Author
J.D. Lenzen is the creator of the highly acclaimed YouTube channel "Tying It All Together", and the producer of over 400 instructional videos. He's been formally recognized by the International Guild of Knot Tyers (IGKT) for his contributions to knotting, and is the originator of Fusion Knotting--innovative knots created through the merging of different knot elements and knotting techniques.
https://www.amazon.com/Decorative-**...HNYCX6RZD1PSS4
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:54   #3

I've recently taken up paracord bracelet making as a hobby. Got in to it by accident after stumbling on to a youtoube video. Tons of youtube videos out there giving detailed,step by step instructions. You'll find a pattern that you like.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 13:44   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A bit redundant after Ashley's but Marlinspike Sailor by Hervey Smith is a good possibility too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot