Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2014, 08:16   #121
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
I sure didn't... seeing the thread title got my hackles up! In the end I think I skipped out to avoid reacting online.

I see both sides of the bottle debate, however when Wendi made this comment, I think she opened the door for further garbage discussion:



This 'biodegradable' included tin, glass, food scraps and paper. I can visualize the potential garbage collection of every cruiser out there with 4 people and a month's worth of trash - I don't want it in my ocean, because it's my ocean as much as it is yours, the blue whale, the tuna and every other form of life on this planet. That doesn't make me a Gestapo~
Let's get CFers all up in arms about 4rth decimal place issues when there are 1st decimal place issues that impact life as we know it on planet earth.

Cheers
__________________

__________________
LakeSuperior is online now  
Old 31-07-2014, 08:27   #122
Registered User
 
NorthernSeaWolf's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: From Coastal BC, currently stuck in a corn field in Godforesaken, IN
Posts: 107
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Let's get CFers all up in arms about 4rth decimal place issues when there are 1st decimal place issues that impact life as we know it on planet earth.
Yes, that's an excellent standpoint. Let's ignore the little problems until they become big problems. I'm sure that's the answer...
__________________

__________________
NorthernSeaWolf is offline  
Old 31-07-2014, 08:48   #123
Registered User
 
Matt sachs's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Tennessee
Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Posts: 859
Images: 18
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Some say its litter if you float it. Is it litter on the sea floor? Seems to me this argument has nothing to do with being good to the planet, and everything to with the "out of sight, out of mind" way of thinking.
__________________
Matt sachs is offline  
Old 31-07-2014, 09:09   #124
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 225
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
All of you who feel my bottle is littering, I have a question for you. How much plastic, fishnets, and other litter that was floating by have you picked up out of the ocean?
None.

I have a question for you. How much crap have you picked up off beaches and reefs? I'm pretty sure I'd win that contest if there was a way to tally.

A bottle on a beach is trash, there's no difference to me whether it's a glass wine bottle that contains some silly note or a plastic motor oil bottle. I still have to gather it up and deal with it because somebody else tossed it overboard. To those who defend tossing corked bottles overboard: Please send me your land address so I might have a place to dispose of the glass that I pick off the beach. I'm sure it won't hurt your yard.

smj, Keep up the good fight! BTW are you really from Texas?
__________________
jwing is offline  
Old 31-07-2014, 09:45   #125
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 81
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

i found alot of disposable plastic diapers on shore but no bottles, so what is the point of this thread? putnotes in bottles then dispose of them overboard. how silly ids that. as if some person would waste their time responding to your childish prank. faitrwinds and godspeed.
__________________
su2014 is offline  
Old 31-07-2014, 10:13   #126
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
None.

I have a question for you. How much crap have you picked up off beaches and reefs? I'm pretty sure I'd win that contest if there was a way to tally.

A bottle on a beach is trash, there's no difference to me whether it's a glass wine bottle that contains some silly note or a plastic motor oil bottle. I still have to gather it up and deal with it because somebody else tossed it overboard. To those who defend tossing corked bottles overboard: Please send me your land address so I might have a place to dispose of the glass that I pick off the beach. I'm sure it won't hurt your yard.

smj, Keep up the good fight! BTW are you really from Texas?

Yes really from Texas.
__________________
smj is online now  
Old 31-07-2014, 12:11   #127
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
Yes, that's an excellent standpoint. Let's ignore the little problems until they become big problems. I'm sure that's the answer...
Think of your logic here...let's ignore immediate existing big problems that could wipe us out so we can prevent little problems from maybe becoming big problems sometime in the future when we are gone.
__________________
LakeSuperior is online now  
Old 31-07-2014, 12:19   #128
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Technically it wasn't litter. It was mail. Delivery by sea vessel.

What? You expect USPS to come out and get it?
__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline  
Old 31-07-2014, 12:19   #129
Registered User
 
micah719's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere in Germany
Boat: OEM, proportional
Posts: 1,439
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

How many millions of tons of ships sunk in some stupid war to profit some worthless scumbags afar off? How many millions of lives shattered for some ideology, "green" included? How's about "F&$k off!, and here's a message in a bottle to remind you!" before the gloves really come off?

Gimme a break; some poor slob chucks ten empty wine bottles overboard and gets taken to task, and look at what is really going on?!? I want a boat to get away from these d%&ckheads, and if the only thing they find to remind them of me is a great steel canister full of ANFO and a glad'ya'came fuse, the better! There ain't gonna be a Utopia, because all there is to populate it is more of you, so buzz off and die collectively in consensus and leave me alone!

And if I launch ten bloody winebottles with messages, chances are you did f$%ck all to make the wine, the bottles, or the boat they were launched off of, or to even foster the independent spirit necessary to do such a thing in the first place! So buzz off and bother yourself with the billion idiots dumping bio-indegradable plastics, before you come annoy the one (happily inebriated) idiot with ten winebottles!!! Unless you like colonoscopy performed by an emotionally unstable amateur wielding an unregulated untaxed uninhibited winebottle! Enuff!.
__________________
Ps 139:9-10 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
micah719 is offline  
Old 31-07-2014, 12:24   #130
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Think of your logic here...let's ignore immediate existing big problems that could wipe us out so we can prevent little problems from maybe becoming big problems sometime in the future when we are gone.

How much effort does it take to not throw a corked wine bottle overboard?
__________________
smj is online now  
Old 31-07-2014, 12:28   #131
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
How many millions of tons of ships sunk in some stupid war to profit some worthless scumbags afar off? How many millions of lives shattered for some ideology, "green" included? How's about "F&$k off!, and here's a message in a bottle to remind you!" before the gloves really come off?

Gimme a break; some poor slob chucks ten empty wine bottles overboard and gets taken to task, and look at what is really going on?!? I want a boat to get away from these d%&ckheads, and if the only thing they find to remind them of me is a great steel canister full of ANFO and a glad'ya'came fuse, the better! There ain't gonna be a Utopia, because all there is to populate it is more of you, so buzz off and die collectively in consensus and leave me alone!

And if I launch ten bloody winebottles with messages, chances are you did f$%ck all to make the wine, the bottles, or the boat they were launched off of, or to even foster the independent spirit necessary to do such a thing in the first place! So buzz off and bother yourself with the billion idiots dumping bio-indegradable plastics, before you come annoy the one (happily inebriated) idiot with ten winebottles!!! Unless you like colonoscopy performed by an emotionally unstable amateur wielding an unregulated untaxed uninhibited winebottle! Enuff!.
And combine all that with a signature line referencing a Bible verse.
__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline  
Old 31-07-2014, 12:30   #132
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
And combine all that with a signature line referencing a Bible verse.
And if you look at his profile he's a member of the "Christian Sailing Society"
__________________
smj is online now  
Old 31-07-2014, 12:34   #133
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
And if you look at his profile he's a member of the "Christian Sailing Society"
That could definitely give someone the wrong impression of Christians.
__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline  
Old 31-07-2014, 12:45   #134
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,818
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Thread closed.

Explanations unnecessary I think.
__________________

__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100 year old message in a bottle found avb3 Off Topic Forum 15 03-10-2013 11:36
Message in a Bottle DeepFrz Off Topic Forum 7 12-01-2013 22:03
Crew Available: Sailing from Auckland to Tahiti in mid-May ? - message in a bottle Matshop Crew Archives 1 09-03-2012 15:18
Message-in-a-Bottle - Launched / Found? Karletto The Sailor's Confessional 82 28-04-2010 11:13
Message in a bottle... markje4 Cruising News & Events 0 08-02-2008 21:21



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.