Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2014, 07:16   #121

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
I sure didn't... seeing the thread title got my hackles up! In the end I think I skipped out to avoid reacting online.

I see both sides of the bottle debate, however when Wendi made this comment, I think she opened the door for further garbage discussion:

This 'biodegradable' included tin, glass, food scraps and paper. I can visualize the potential garbage collection of every cruiser out there with 4 people and a month's worth of trash - I don't want it in my ocean, because it's my ocean as much as it is yours, the blue whale, the tuna and every other form of life on this planet. That doesn't make me a Gestapo~
Let's get CFers all up in arms about 4rth decimal place issues when there are 1st decimal place issues that impact life as we know it on planet earth.

Cheers
Old 31-07-2014, 07:27   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Let's get CFers all up in arms about 4rth decimal place issues when there are 1st decimal place issues that impact life as we know it on planet earth.
Yes, that's an excellent standpoint. Let's ignore the little problems until they become big problems. I'm sure that's the answer...
Old 31-07-2014, 07:48   #123

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Some say its litter if you float it. Is it litter on the sea floor? Seems to me this argument has nothing to do with being good to the planet, and everything to with the "out of sight, out of mind" way of thinking.
Old 31-07-2014, 08:09   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
All of you who feel my bottle is littering, I have a question for you. How much plastic, fishnets, and other litter that was floating by have you picked up out of the ocean?
None.

I have a question for you. How much crap have you picked up off beaches and reefs? I'm pretty sure I'd win that contest if there was a way to tally.

A bottle on a beach is trash, there's no difference to me whether it's a glass wine bottle that contains some silly note or a plastic motor oil bottle. I still have to gather it up and deal with it because somebody else tossed it overboard. To those who defend tossing corked bottles overboard: Please send me your land address so I might have a place to dispose of the glass that I pick off the beach. I'm sure it won't hurt your yard.

smj, Keep up the good fight! BTW are you really from Texas?
Old 31-07-2014, 08:45   #125
cruiser

i found alot of disposable plastic diapers on shore but no bottles, so what is the point of this thread? putnotes in bottles then dispose of them overboard. how silly ids that. as if some person would waste their time responding to your childish prank. faitrwinds and godspeed.
Old 31-07-2014, 09:13   #126
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
None.

I have a question for you. How much crap have you picked up off beaches and reefs? I'm pretty sure I'd win that contest if there was a way to tally.

A bottle on a beach is trash, there's no difference to me whether it's a glass wine bottle that contains some silly note or a plastic motor oil bottle. I still have to gather it up and deal with it because somebody else tossed it overboard. To those who defend tossing corked bottles overboard: Please send me your land address so I might have a place to dispose of the glass that I pick off the beach. I'm sure it won't hurt your yard.

smj, Keep up the good fight! BTW are you really from Texas?

Yes really from Texas.
Old 31-07-2014, 11:11   #127

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
Yes, that's an excellent standpoint. Let's ignore the little problems until they become big problems. I'm sure that's the answer...
Think of your logic here...let's ignore immediate existing big problems that could wipe us out so we can prevent little problems from maybe becoming big problems sometime in the future when we are gone.
Old 31-07-2014, 11:19   #128

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Technically it wasn't litter. It was mail. Delivery by sea vessel.

What? You expect USPS to come out and get it?
Old 31-07-2014, 11:19   #129

Boat: OEM, proportional

How many millions of tons of ships sunk in some stupid war to profit some worthless scumbags afar off? How many millions of lives shattered for some ideology, "green" included? How's about "F&$k off!, and here's a message in a bottle to remind you!" before the gloves really come off?

Gimme a break; some poor slob chucks ten empty wine bottles overboard and gets taken to task, and look at what is really going on?!? I want a boat to get away from these d%&ckheads, and if the only thing they find to remind them of me is a great steel canister full of ANFO and a glad'ya'came fuse, the better! There ain't gonna be a Utopia, because all there is to populate it is more of you, so buzz off and die collectively in consensus and leave me alone!

And if I launch ten bloody winebottles with messages, chances are you did f$%ck all to make the wine, the bottles, or the boat they were launched off of, or to even foster the independent spirit necessary to do such a thing in the first place! So buzz off and bother yourself with the billion idiots dumping bio-indegradable plastics, before you come annoy the one (happily inebriated) idiot with ten winebottles!!! Unless you like colonoscopy performed by an emotionally unstable amateur wielding an unregulated untaxed uninhibited winebottle! Enuff!.
Old 31-07-2014, 11:24   #130
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Think of your logic here...let's ignore immediate existing big problems that could wipe us out so we can prevent little problems from maybe becoming big problems sometime in the future when we are gone.

How much effort does it take to not throw a corked wine bottle overboard?
Old 31-07-2014, 11:28   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
How many millions of tons of ships sunk in some stupid war to profit some worthless scumbags afar off? How many millions of lives shattered for some ideology, "green" included? How's about "F&$k off!, and here's a message in a bottle to remind you!" before the gloves really come off?

Gimme a break; some poor slob chucks ten empty wine bottles overboard and gets taken to task, and look at what is really going on?!? I want a boat to get away from these d%&ckheads, and if the only thing they find to remind them of me is a great steel canister full of ANFO and a glad'ya'came fuse, the better! There ain't gonna be a Utopia, because all there is to populate it is more of you, so buzz off and die collectively in consensus and leave me alone!

And if I launch ten bloody winebottles with messages, chances are you did f$%ck all to make the wine, the bottles, or the boat they were launched off of, or to even foster the independent spirit necessary to do such a thing in the first place! So buzz off and bother yourself with the billion idiots dumping bio-indegradable plastics, before you come annoy the one (happily inebriated) idiot with ten winebottles!!! Unless you like colonoscopy performed by an emotionally unstable amateur wielding an unregulated untaxed uninhibited winebottle! Enuff!.
And combine all that with a signature line referencing a Bible verse.
Old 31-07-2014, 11:30   #132
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
And combine all that with a signature line referencing a Bible verse.
And if you look at his profile he's a member of the "Christian Sailing Society"
Old 31-07-2014, 11:34   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
And if you look at his profile he's a member of the "Christian Sailing Society"
That could definitely give someone the wrong impression of Christians.
Old 31-07-2014, 11:45   #134

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Thread closed.

Explanations unnecessary I think.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Closed Thread