Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2012, 21:31   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Re: Musical Instruments Afloat

There is a motor yacht called Geisha that has visited our marina several times. She is an old Chinese long liner converted and extended for pleasure. While we have never been aboard, we saw from the pontoons that in the aft upper deck there was a baby grand piano.

I had a clarinet on board for a while. The springs rusted up and mold took hold of it. Ended up in Davey Jones' locker (so to speak).
Old 30-11-2012, 07:37   #17

Boat: OEM, proportional

Maybe I should have posted this in one of the dinghy threads. Saaaay......is that one of the mods clinging to the outboard? Hmmmmm........

Old 30-11-2012, 08:29   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
I had my PRS Santana guitar on board for 3 months...it was a joy to play BUT over that time a lot of the metal hardware started to corrode, particularly the screws holding the pickguard, the pickup mounting screws and the strings...even though it was kept in a good hard case and the neck wrapped in a slightly olive-oiled wrag...
I took it home and left it there.
I can't imagine what the marine environment would do to a fine handcrafted wooden instrument like a spinet.
I once had a gibson w/6 way selecter switch rather than the toogle,was a Les Paul cutaway and a Carlos Santana signature model...Dont remember what that model was called.... Santana ,great humanitarien(?sp)...I have a smaller scale Washburn with a full range neck that has a nice case and never goes out of tune, no maint. problems other than a little light machine oil on the strings and it has been on the boat for more than 2 years...also have some of those little bong-go drums from the 60s,they cracked open after a few months on board ..I rewound the bottom and they work fine now..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:54   #19

It sounds to me like we shouldn't be so picky about the acoustics of the instrument. I switched to a synthetic head Bodhran cause of the humidity. It doesn't have the same warm sound but at least I can play :-)
jared is offline   Reply With Quote