Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 19:07   #1

Boat: Allied Mistress
My time in the beautiful Chesapeake Bay has drawn to a close, now am off to Guam. Does anyone have the pulse on the sailing scene there?
EC Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 19:38   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Moving to Guam

according to a member of leaky teaky yacht club group, yeah--his pix are awesome.....actually had the rail on a leaky teaky IN the water and going over 8 kts.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 20:19   #3

Boat: mt34dt

Hafa Adei, I learned to sail in Guam. Only on small boats around the harbor circa. 1979. I loved the island and the snorkeling is fantastic, in many ways beating the diving, especially for convenience. The charrmo food is beyond delicious, make friends with a local and you are good to go. A few cruisers would stop in every so often on Naval Station. Guam Sailing and Yachting Charters
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 20:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I have lived in Guam and have been back many times in the last few years...There arent many things you cant do on Guam,if you want it you can get it ..they have a vibrent sailing community and a nice yacht club..Typhoons are a major problem as they are in the middle of the typhoon belt.I have seen as many as 5 in as little as 3 months..Not many holes to hide in,but Big Navy will let you put your boat in the harbor if its a direct hit...the wind blows 10-15 everyday and 20-25 alot of the time...the closest land mass is the Northern Marianas(Siapan-Rota-Tinian) and thats 125 miles north of The Rock!South east you have Truk(Chuuck)which is really nice for sailing.Its about 450 miles away and the continent(Asia) is about 1500 miles away...The lady that represented the US in the Olympics for sailboards is named Linda Yeomans and she is a very good contact for all things Guam,if you like I can give you her phone # and you can call her...They race a lot of the Lightning class boats there also...Pm me if you like...Guam is a hot place for Americans right now with the relocation of the Marines from Okinawa..Just be careful as the gentleman from Georga congressman Hank says the place might tip over if too many of us go there...Good luck and dont eat any dogs,they dont taste good,leave a waxy taste in your mouth for days..the Kelagwn is to die for and the giant fruit bats arent bad either,just expensive...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 22:54   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I lived on Guam in the late 70's....loved it.
Its true that its an island so island fever can be an issue.
The old Marianas Yacht club was quite active, loads of sailing.
Inland stomping was cool...the tank farm, priest baths, Talofofo falls...always seemed to be something to do.
Ask about Rodney's birthday party....used to be a hoot!
The PI is relatively close and plenty to explore there.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 18:22   #6

Boat: Allied Mistress
Thanks guys for the tips. I have never been to Guam, but I am now looking forward to going after hearing chalk the great thingso about the sailing and some the things to do in Guam.
EC Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 18:47   #7

Boat: mt34dt

Have a great time, just remember Guam runs on Chamorro time where patience is rewarded.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 19:08   #8

At 11:00 am..it is 120 in the shade. It also rains fifty billion gallons of water at the same time each day...and is dry in 2 minutes. Go up into the mountain behind Apra harbor. The land crabs are great. Be sure to bring two extra set of sails, and four bibles...the typhoons are the mother of all typhoons.
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 10:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
Have a great time, just remember Guam runs on Chamorro time where patience is rewarded.
yeah its Hafa Adei and the rest Chamorro
Old 20-09-2011, 10:50   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
At 11:00 am..it is 120 in the shade. It also rains fifty billion gallons of water at the same time each day...and is dry in 2 minutes. Go up into the mountain behind Apra harbor. The land crabs are great. Be sure to bring two extra set of sails, and four bibles...the typhoons are the mother of all typhoons.
The trade winds keep it comfortable and the land crabs should not be eaten until you have fed them out for a few weeks at least..they have been known to eat dead bodys and animal stuff...at least four bibles, more if possible and at least four more for the earth quakes...and it would help if you like snakes ..lots and lots of snakes and big ones too.. and NO birds..none ..nada.unless you count chickens..lots and lots of chickens and if the Brown Tree snake is reponsible for the decimation of the birds why are there so many damn chickens...?Have fun..most work on Guam and site see somewhere else..like Bali.the PIs,Japan,Palau,etc you can see every thing in Guam in 3 months time,not a very big place...

Tags
Guam