Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 16:53   #31

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Superstition is the device by which weak, naive minds explain events that are, to them, inexplicable. Every event has an explanation, but not every person is capable of comprehending that explanation.

So are we talking about quantum physics where light acts as both a wave and single particle?
Old 03-04-2008, 16:56   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Are there any titles that might be considered bad luck to have aboard?
Only the ones the Admiral hates.

Anything you think can happen to you probably could but be of good cheer. I doubt any of it will be seen at the movies. YouTube could be a problem. Watch for cell phone cameras when doing things that might considered too funny.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 17:04   #33
Kai Nui

Jake, I was giving it some serious thought, and I have decided all DVD's are bad luck. Now, being the nice guy I am, I wouldn't leave you stuck with a bunch of stuff you can't take on board, so I volunteer to take them off your hands. Just let me know and I will tell you where to ship them. I won't even charge for disposal
Old 04-04-2008, 20:37   #34

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
I agree with Paul 100%

Only the ones the Admiral hates.

If the admirals not happy, nobodies happy...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 20:48   #35

Boat: islandpacket
For a Submariner movie the German movie "Das Boot" was imoho GREAT
Badsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:36   #36

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Superstition aside... I have always noticed that after viewing Jaws.... swimming and snorkeling seem to be more restrained for several days....

I carry "old" movies and TV shows, Charlie Chan, Ramar of the Jungle, Doug Fairbanks films where he is sailing, Old John Wayne stuff like Donovan's Reef, Wake of Red Witch and some of the really old John Wayne movies where he "sings" in an operatic baritone voice that knocks everyone on to the deck rolling with laughter, Sherlock Holmes of the Basil Rathbone era, Sky King and some old "Horror" flicks that are more comical than scary.

The fun of these is not only how different they were but having fun pointing out hidden actors, politically incorrect events (by todays standards) and errors between scenes.

Often after a evening of showing... we get visitors wondering what we were watching and request to set in or borrow the DVD's.

I only have a small "personal" DVD player, battery powered 5 or 6 inch screen but we get half a dozen people in the cockpit or saloon enjoying it often.

Think the only Superstition I have is not taking some DVD's and a healthy selection of paperback books to read and swap. In the Carib, many restaurants and marinas have book swap locations with wide selections of types and sometime even languages. After all you can't just sail, sleep, eat, have s%&, and drink All the time... well maybe not all of the time.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:24   #37

Boat: Van De Stadt 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDouleur View Post
Hey everyone -

I'm not a superstitious guy except for baseball. As I get rid of all my worldy belongings, I am keeping certain DVDs from my collection and getting rid of the rest. Are there any titles that might be considered bad luck to have aboard? Here are some that come to mind:
  • Dead Calm
  • The Perfect Storm
  • Jaws
  • Open Water
  • Titanic
I'm sure there are other titles. What does everyone think?

- Jake
A movie that all cruisers should get hold of is "The Lucky Lady" starring Gene Hackman, Burt Reynolds and Lisa Minelli. It is a piss your pants comedy.

However there is some real history attached to the gorgeous yacht that was the real star of the movie.

The history involves the development of a famous name, American made brand of yacht winch, and Penthouse Magazine.

If any body who knows the connection and will post it to this thread, I will give him/her 10 points.

You have until the end of May.

Cheers Cisco.
cisco007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:28   #38

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I have a somewhat different view about superstition. Intelligence at it's most basic level is the ability to recognize patterns around you, and use those patterns to aid in your survival. Human beings are very good at finding patterns. They are not so good at determining the difference between correlation and causation, however. You might for instance note that the two nights last week you hit a home-run, you happened to be wearing the same underwear. These then become your 'lucky' underwear. It was of course, a coincidence... a correlation without causeation. From then on out though, you will be likely to attribute every 'good' thing that happens to you while wearing those underwear to those underwear.

Human beings are good and smart... but only just.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:08   #39

Boat: Van De Stadt 34
Another great movie to get is "The Riddle of the Sands" starring that wonderful English actor Michael York. Great yachtie's movie. When you see it don't worry that they destroyed the "Dulce Bella" for the sake of the movie. If you look closely you will see that it was only a plywood mock up that got rammed and sunk.

Now, MaDouleur, of the movies you mentioned the only one I don't recall seeing is "Open Water". The other four movies are as far removed from reality as George Bush is from a resonable level of intelligence and winning the next presidential election.

"Dead Calm" was just a showcase for Nicole Kiddman's tits and ass and the other three, special effect spectaculars.

Get real, get cruising and make your own adventure movies.

Live long, have fun and be happy!! Cheers Cisco.
cisco007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:35   #40

Boat: Hunter 280 AliMar
I vote "Captain Ron". If that doesnt scare a crusier looking for a pilot in the Carib then I dont know what would. ah ha

"If the wind is free then why is sailing so dang expensive?"
Richkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36   #41

In dead Calm it wasnt Nicole's body parts displayed. Neck up only. lol

Old 02-05-2008, 10:40   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Superstition is the device by which weak, naive minds explain events that are, to them, inexplicable. Every event has an explanation, but not every person is capable of comprehending that explanation.

TaoJones
Agreed. Superstitions are just for fun...not to be taken seriously. Certainly have fun with them though.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 17:50   #43

Strange? I didnt see my post. Any wayz........I vote 'Captain Ron". Anyone in the Carib looking for a pilot this is a nightmare.

Old 02-05-2008, 19:03   #44

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
I wouldn't leave any movies behind. Great to trade for other movies.

Master & Commander is a great movie to watch while at sea.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 16:57   #45

Boat: Com-pac 27
Superstitions aside, Jaws is much scarrier when watched at night while floating in an innertube off the stern!

Hey, did you just brush my leg?!?
Koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote