Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 17:59   #1
Lt.

Motorcycle on Board, How Hard Can it Be?

How hard can it be to have a motorcycle on board a catameran lingth is probably 35 to 45 feet. I didn't storage on the boat what other problems could there be? And when I say motorcycle I don't mean a big hog or something sporty, I'm talking about something street legal I about the size of a typical dirt bike, like an enduro sort of thing. So it won't be huge.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:10   #2

Boat: Alberg 30
Re: motorcycle on board, how hard can it be

Can't be that bad, it's a common method to transport bikes Panama->Columbia. Even large ADV bikes. Usually they are up on deck though. I am looking at fitting a bike in my boat, I suspect that draining fluids, taking off the wheels and it should fit ok. I would think smaller and air cooled would be good. It really depends on how often you want access I suspect, there was a couple who put their CX500 on board in the bilge in pieces, but it took a month or so to rebuild after.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:15   #3

Boat: Traditional 30

You wont be the first one to do it and certainly wont be the last. While I haven't done it, the most common things that I have read are to make sure its a lightweight and be prepared for accelerated corrosion on the bike itself - as well as stains on the deck from any leaking rust from the spokes/frame etc.

Of course you will have to come up with a system for getting the bike on and off. Either a good ramp or davit system.

I am only a poor bike rider at best. But my preference would be a postie bike due to the weight, reliability (honda of course) and small investment- considering I know the weather is going to possibly devalue the bike somewhat. But thats just me.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:19   #4

If you are a dock dweller it's a lot more doable than attempting to dingy it aboard. many lighter dingy moters have been deep sixed trying to get them on the boat....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:21   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you are a dock dweller it's a lot more doable than attempting to dingy it aboard. many lighter dingy moters have been deep sixed trying to get them on the boat....
Yeh, but it makes a good video.. <winks>

On a serious note.. Thats a really good point. It could be a very expensive "oops"
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 19:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Also you have to consider local laws. If you are in the US and cruising in the US, no problem. If you leave the country then you have to deal with all the pertinent regulations, insurance, import requirements, license and registration, etc.

Mexico or Canada, since they have US vehicles entering all the time should be fairly straightforward. Offshore, probably not so much. I made the mistake of asking about bringing a plain old bicycle to the Bahamas. So much red tape and cost I blew it off and just rode it. Figure a motorcycle would be much worse.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 19:36   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
So it won't be huge.
The advantage of a small motorcycle is that there will be far less rust to sweep off the deck.
Old 05-06-2012, 21:11   #8

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
...what other problems could there be? ...
  1. Getting it onto the boat.
  2. Having it shortly rust to hell and become worthless junk.
  3. Getting junk-that-used-to-be-motorcycle off of boat.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 21:24   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
How hard can it be to have a motorcycle on board a catameran lingth is probably 35 to 45 feet. I didn't storage on the boat what other problems could there be? And when I say motorcycle I don't mean a big hog or something sporty, I'm talking about something street legal I about the size of a typical dirt bike, like an enduro sort of thing. So it won't be huge.
Here's the problems:
Corrossion if stored on deck, draining the gas and getting it below if stored below.

Getting it ashore. Either you need a very large dinghy to get it to the beach or you need bring the mother vessel along side a larger pier. Permission to bring the bike down the dock and onto a finger pier to the boat in a marina may be a problem, especially if the dock is a bit rickety. If you go the dinghy route it will need to be at least 12' long, preferably a hard dinghy or at least a RIB.

Licensing the driver and vehicle in each foreign country.

I am not saying don't do it, but think long and hard first.

Motorbikes I would consider are:
Yamaha QT50
Honda Express, cub or supercub, or MB80
Saches Madass 50 or 125

The Yamaha was produced in the US for 10 years and apparently dealers can still get parts.

The Saches 125 is in current production, and is a comparatively light bike for what you get.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Also you have to consider local laws. If you are in the US and cruising in the US, no problem. If you leave the country then you have to deal with all the pertinent regulations, insurance, import requirements, license and registration, etc...
Indeed. √

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24   #11

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

I had a 125 Honda on my 38ft ,did an atlantic crossing with it in the forepeak. Just had to go alongside and sling it over on a halyard,took off the front wheel and 'bars.
I think it would only be worthwhile if you planned to stay a while due to regulations etc. Mine was registered in Gib and Antigua and I had to take a drivers test etc. That said,I thorougly enjoyed it and saw many interesting places on it.
Would I do it again, probably not,just rent a car occasionaly, mind you, I was young and 'invincable' then and am old and wise [?] now.!! Regards Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:29   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

It's not hard if you have a sedan trawler with a big roof.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:49   #13

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

Back in the 70's and '80's, I carried a small Honda moped below deck on the Daedalus. We easily hoisted it thru our hatch all assembled and swung it out onto our 9' Whaler. We only used it in remote locations and never delt with registration and such. In fact, I didn't even think about it. In the towns we walked and in the cities we used public transporaton. The 9' Whaler was perfect. You could stand on the edge, while boaeding in rough weather or you could explore great distances a high speed to get there. I bought a beat up used one and used it for 27 years. Before I sold it, I popped off a mold and made a hull that I still use. Happy days. See Album #2, photo 14 of 49. You will see a load of beach combing stuff. All exhibited in our Biophilia Museum today. www.biophilia.net
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:25   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Motorcycle on Board, How Hard Can it Be?

Some countries can be a bit funny about foreign motor vehicles arriving (and not simply via private boat) - probably think it is some sort of tax evasion scam (vehicle arrives with a tourist = duty free, tourist then leaves sans vehicle)......and sometimes they probably be right!

Personally I think would make more sense to buy (and sell) locally, even if that means having to "conjur up" an onshore address (obviously not so worth while for a week or 2). Some places insurance is a biggie - some places not (at least not until an accident happens!). Short term (months not years) can probably get by on own (home) Driving Licence. Probably.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Also you have to consider local laws. If you are in the US and cruising in the US, no problem. If you leave the country then you have to deal with all the pertinent regulations, insurance, import requirements, license and registration, etc.

Mexico or Canada, since they have US vehicles entering all the time should be fairly straightforward. Offshore, probably not so much. I made the mistake of asking about bringing a plain old bicycle to the Bahamas. So much red tape and cost I blew it off and just rode it. Figure a motorcycle would be much worse.
Ahh yes...lesson learned.... "dont ask, play dumb!"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote