Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2008, 06:14   #1
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Motorcycle for transportation

I'm wondering if any of you have seen cruisers traveling with a small motorcycle or scooter on their boat. I'm not so worried about the "rigamarole" of getting in on and off the boat so much as regulations in different locations about motorcycles. While in Tortola we noticed that no one was riding them and asked. They said the motor cycle had to be under 150cc. I keep seeing a need to have shore transportation when I finally go cruising and the idea of a cycle or scooter keeps coming back.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 06:28   #2

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Motor bikes and suchlike don't fare too well in the marine invironment, even if you do have a cover on deck. Hoisting them on and off is not to be underestimated from an achorage either. Much better to have a beat up bicycle which nobody wants to steal, then rent a car, or catch a bus, if you want to go far inland.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 06:43   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
We do see cruisers with small motor scooters and even one with a powered "razor" type scooter. They are however, rare. I think Jolly probably has good advice.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 09:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Maybe a moped might work because they don't weigh all that much, but then you would have to make up a watertight bag or canvas of some sort to keep the salt air off of it. Its probably not worth it unless you have a sizeable boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 09:56   #5

The logistics of it would be tough, but what I'm currently planning is to have a cat custom built where one aft berth is converted to a storage room. I'd have a large hatch built into the pontoon top structure and use a boom crane to lift the scooter or motorcycle out and set it in the dingy or on a dock. When I look at maps I see so many places that I'd like to check out that are in shore. And, to be honest, after a few weeks on a boat, I think I'll need a taste of land.

What I don't know is what the regulations are for other parts of the world. I read somewhere that there is a international treaty which allows licenced vehicles from signatory countrys to use other countrys roads, but am not sure about the reality of it.
Old 27-04-2008, 09:59   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
The logistics of it would be tough, but what I'm currently planning is to have a cat custom built where one aft berth is converted to a storage room. I'd have a large hatch built into the pontoon top structure and use a boom crane to lift the scooter or motorcycle out and set it in the dingy or on a dock. When I look at maps I see so many places that I'd like to check out that are in shore. And, to be honest, after a few weeks on a boat, I think I'll need a taste of land.

What I don't know is what the regulations are for other parts of the world. I read somewhere that there is a international treaty which allows licenced vehicles from signatory countrys to use other countrys roads, but am not sure about the reality of it.
Getting an international drivers license might help.

Old 27-04-2008, 10:14   #7

David M - You live in a perfect area for what I'm thinking about. I could rent a car, but a motorcycle is harder to get. A lot of the Greek islands have scooter rentals at the docks, but I'm not sure about other areas. I just like cruising around on a powered cycle i guess.
Old 27-04-2008, 10:30   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Where I live you really cant get around without getting on a freeway. To get on a freeway legally, your motorcycle must be a minimum of 200cc. A 200cc bike weighs at least a couple hundred pounds which would make it difficult if not impossible to remove it from your boat, unless you want to use your boom as a hoist.

Just coincidentally, I have seen the results of two motorcycle accidents within one week. One guy was obviously dead with traffic being directed around his body by the CHP awaiting the ambulance and the other guy was stripped down to his underwear laying on his back in the middle of the freeway with paramedics surrounding him. I would not mess with a motorcycle at all. The fact with motorcycles is the car will win every time and it is almost always the cars fault. You are at the mercy of someone elses driving abilities. I think the best option is to take a cab or bus in foreign ports. I like taking bus rides in foreign ports...you sure get to experience the local people that way. That alone can be interesting at times.

In the New Territories near Hong Kong, this lady brought some live chickens on the bus. They were in some of those plastic shopping bags you get from the grocery store. Their heads were sticking out the tops of the bags with each handle wrapped around the opposite side of the chickens neck so it could not escape. The chickens were happily clucking away...it was hilarious looking. My buddy and I were trying so hard not to laugh. I hope you can visualize this. It made taking the bus more than worth it.

David

Old 27-04-2008, 10:35   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
IME Driving Licences are usually accepted "abroad" for Visitors.

Never heard of that for vehicles - indeed the opposite, different countries have different rules for importing vehicles, including for visitors - one of the reasons being that vehicles usually have some import duty on them and also for the same reasons that the USA / EU would not want someone from "abroad" landing a car / motorbike on the dock and simply driving off into the sunset!.......of course some countries will have agreements between them - like within the EU and I would guess Canada / USA (and Mexico?).......and quite possibly others, especially Colonies / former Colonies / US Protectorates / Vassal States.

Of course one could simply drop the bike on the pontoon and see what happens, but yer would have to accept the risk of losing it / getting a conviction (everywhere has rules covering stuff like this - enforcement for locals can be different to Visitors)........or making a local police officer very happy

A Bike on the Boat is something I have thought about - but is way down the list at the moment!......but I am thinking within EU..... and probably won't. Further abroad I am not so sure.......if based anywhere for a few months (or at least in the same country) then maybe buying a cheap bike is the way forward and selling on the way out? Of course not all countries allow visitors to buy vehicles!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 11:23   #10

You guys make some good points - I'll move it down my list also. The interaction between locals on buses can be fun, some times not so much.
Have you ever thought about the power paragliders?
POWERED PARAGLIDER, POWERED PARAGLIDING
Old 28-04-2008, 08:23   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I had 2 folding scooters in one storage unit. They were a hassle to get them ashore, and they felt really sloppy while under power. I traded one for Dahon folding bikes. Didn't like them either. They also felt sloppy while riding.

Now I just take buses, rent motorcycles, or a car when needed. I actually prefer the local buses. You get to meet some locals, and in that way you can find the best restaurants, markets, etc. etc.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 10:00   #12

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
In the New Territories near Hong Kong, this lady brought some live chickens on the bus. They were in some of those plastic shopping bags you get from the grocery store. Their heads were sticking out the tops of the bags with each handle wrapped around the opposite side of the chickens neck so it could not escape. The chickens were happily clucking away...it was hilarious looking. My buddy and I were trying so hard not to laugh. I hope you can visualize this. It made taking the bus more than worth it.

Until you get the bird flu
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 13:37   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to wolfstone
motorized wheel

Good day
I've had the same concern about getting around on land to see some of the spots. Although theft is a consideration I have thought about, this new item coming out seems to fit the bill. It is a motorized wheel for most 26' bikes.
RevoPower - Motorized Replacement Bike Wheel
wolfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 16:35   #14

foldable bicycle...you know the ones with the small wheels. Would perfectly fit on some sailboats to be even stored inside...
elcubanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 17:48   #15

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstone View Post
.....I have thought about, this new item coming out seems to fit the bill. It is a motorized wheel for most 26' bikes.
RevoPower - Motorized Replacement Bike Wheel
Good grief! I never thought I would see the day when I could say, “We invented that first in England.” Those of my countrymen who ever had a “winged wheel” will leave this product alone like the plague, especially in a marine environment. I had mine in 1961 because it was all I could afford, but I spent more time peddling the bloody thing than motoring it. Ask yourself why nearly all outboards are now four stroke, and you have the answer. You would be better off with a ride-on mower with sidecar.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote