Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 03:26   #1

Moonshine at sea

I love making Rum and other brews thought I would start a thread on recipes and techniques .Anyone else have a still on board or a home brew kit
cameron82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:32   #2

Re: Moonshine at sea

Here's my version for a 25L wash.

5kg sugar
80grams bakers yeast
1/4 tea spoon citric acid
200 grams leggo's tomato paste.

Mix sugar, tomato paste, citric acid and 10 liters hot water into your fermenter to dissolve all the sugar.

Top up with cool water and hopefully you've got it at about 30c

Pitch yeast.
This wash will clear on it's own to a pale pink colour, there is no need to for any sort of filtering.
therefore, there is no home brew shop additives or agents required.
Happy stillin' Folks
Old 14-08-2016, 13:55   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

If you want high ABV hooch, then try some of the new super yeast created for the (horribly misguided) biofuel industry. High ABV with no distilling.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 15:51   #4

To me the turbo yeasts are a waste of money they are notorious for making really bad flavors .also when you use them for distilling they taste horrible and you have to carbon filter them .I have heard of people making wine coolers with them .Do you have a recipe for anything that tastes good .I have been distilling for 15 years and hate the turbo yeast .It might be great for ethanol for fuel
Old 14-08-2016, 19:58   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

I was anchored beside a small Wharram a few years ago and the owner kept a small Honda genset going all day. When I enquired whether he was having battery problems he informed me that the genset was on his reflux still. When I commented that he must be a bad alcoholic to require that much product he informed me that he only drank beer and made his living as a maritime bootlegger, had found that he could sell all he made and his biggest problem was carting enough fresh water for the fermentation.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 21:15   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I was anchored beside a small Wharram a few years ago and the owner kept a small Honda genset going all day. When I enquired whether he was having battery problems he informed me that the genset was on his reflux still. When I commented that he must be a bad alcoholic to require that much product he informed me that he only drank beer and made his living as a maritime bootlegger, had found that he could sell all he made and his biggest problem was carting enough fresh water for the fermentation.
Now that's a way to make money while cruising! I can't help but to wonder if anyone questioned his "diesel tank", given that the boat was outboard powered. LOL

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:38   #7

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Hard cider is so easy to make I don't understand why everyone's not doing it. my recipe is to use 2-3 liter wine jugs, 1 gallon of apple juice divided between them equally , 2 cups sugar each, one teaspoon rapid rise bread yeast each. I usually add a little water to get the jugs closer to full but make sure you leave room for foaming. Fermentation will be done 5 to 10 days depending on temperature and the longer you wait after that the more the yeast will settle giving a cleaner product. if you want the very best use champagne yeast, but I find the common bread yeast to be quite good. An airlock is recommended but it can also be done by leaving the cap loose just MAKE SURE you put a hole in the cap and put a piece of tape over hole because if you don't the yeast may make the bottle EXPLODE! PS you can do this with any type of juice but I find that Apple works best, even better than grape juice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474821157820.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	131714  
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 15:17   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yes, if I were to brew aboard: hard cider, basic mead, ginger beer. All dead easy and all can be brewed with ingredients that you can likely source locally.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 15:40   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

belizesailor/Sparrow, do you buy any brand of apple juice? Do you have to worry about commercial juices being full of preservatives that might kill the yeast? I've done a lot of beer and wild wine brewing, including meads, dandelion, rose, rhubarb and sarsaparilla wines. Never on the boat though. I like your simple approaches.
Old 25-09-2016, 15:59   #10

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Mike I think that's one of the reasons apple juice work so well, the only thing they seem to add is vitamin C. but always check the label.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 05:05   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks SH, sounds good. Do you brew while underway or only at anchor/moor/dock?

Speaking of exploding, on my first batch of sarsaparilla beer, instead of following my own instincts I followed the recipe. Bottled and capped too early, and then two days later I was listening to explosions from the basement and picking glass out of my ceiling. At least I learned my caps were well sealed .
Old 26-09-2016, 06:52   #12

For those visiting the United States, probably should be aware that distilling beverages is illegal here. Fermented stuff--beer, wine, mead, cider--are all fine to make, but distilled liquors are illegal without the proper licenses.

(Which, of course, doesn't stop people from making the stuff, but it's still a good idea to be aware of the legality, or illegality, in this case.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 07:35   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Distillation on a boat is't really viable I don't think, at least not a small boat, and it is very highly illegal.
But if you chose to anyway, be wary of un-intentionally distilling Methanol, that would be bad.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 09:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
belizesailor/Sparrow, do you buy any brand of apple juice? Do you have to worry about commercial juices being full of preservatives that might kill the yeast? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Mike I think that's one of the reasons apple juice work so well, the only thing they seem to add is vitamin C. but always check the label.
Check the label to see if the juice has preservatives otherwise it will not ferment or will ferment poorly.

Get a juice that is Pasteurized. Pasteurized juice should ferment just fine.

Look for juices in glass jars since they are likely to be pasteurized. Knudsen is one brand that pasteurizes some fruit juices.

Some stores have fresh juiced apple juice and that is not usually pasteurized or preserved. I have had some of that ferment naturally.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 09:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Distillation on a boat is't really viable I don't think, at least not a small boat, and it is very highly illegal.
But if you chose to anyway, be wary of un-intentionally distilling Methanol, that would be bad.
And if you're stupid enough to ferment methanol and consume it, at least have enough drinkable ethanol to have as a competitive inhibitor so the kidneys process the methanol instead of your liver.

When I was in Iran after the revolution but before the H. Bush Mahmoud Amandijihad administration - the number of "random blindness" at hospitals was absurd - no one wanted to admit it.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote