Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 10:00   #1

Metal Detectors

OK. So, YouTube is littered with videos showing divers, snorkelers, & beach goers strapping a GoPro to their metal detector & dragging up a wealth of fish hooks, pull tabs, bottle caps, coins & rings. Looks like fun and something to do that doesn’t put you on a schedule.

I’ve been doing a bit of research and would like to toss out a couple of questions to the group.

1) What laws have you experienced in other countries (I’m in the USA) that would prohibit, or complicate beach combing/detecting in water?

2) Recommendations on detector. My tentative research leads me to believe that a Pulse Induction type is best for underwater. What are your thoughts? Type, Brand, etc. (wanting to keep in somewhere in the US$1000 range)

3) This Link http://www.metaldetectorshq.com/best-underwater-metal-detectors-reviews/ has several metal detectors with both pros and cons. I’m confused on some points as some list pro – “Has a very flexible depth of up to 132 feet” and con – It is not completely waterproof.” Any ideas what they mean”?

4) Lastly to anyone that dives with a detector, do you know if the length is adjustable? I have a hard time visualizing skimming across the bottom with that long detector held way, way, way in front of me.

I would love to hear of your points, anecdotes, stories, horror stories, best finds, etc…

-sterling
DailyLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote