Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 16:37   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Maybe I'm getting too old ...

I like the pony bottle idea with a regulator attached just for these kinds of emergencies or urgencies, especially if you are in cooler water... I had to clear a prop once in the middle of the night in cold water... the pony bottle would have been great to have had along. You just have to be sure it stays in good shape and up to date in inspection (and not in some deep hole for 10 years.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:54   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

... "and luckily, when buying the camera, an underwater chainsaw was offered for only $9.99, so I splurged".

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 21:54   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Hey Ping, good job! And that wet suit fits your nickname very well! Thanks for the camera tip!
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:02   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I bought a GoPro Knock-off on Amazon, I think the name was GeekPro. There are others. I also got the waterproof housing. It's actually worked quite well. Maybe if you're really "into" action photography this wouldn't be sufficient, but for fooling around with it's been great. Mounted it looking forward on our last trip and got time-lapse video of the whole thing.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:53   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Would a shaft-mounted line cutter have helped? I can't make out if you have one.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:54   #21

You should see what it's like here in Maine US with all the lobster trap lines to foul on. I used to be so careful going through a trap field; then I found out that it's the lobstermen who have cutting blades in front of their props!

I used to carry a pony bottle and regulator on board. Easy to use and takes up very little space. I would definitely NOT use a standard air compressor to breathe from - the smallest amount of exhaust (w/ CO) breathed underwater at pressure could be fatal. Use only certified SCUBA compressors that are continually checked and recertified. There are enough fatalities even using those due to human error. Also keep your pony bottles checked annually and recertified.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:45   #22

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
[snip]
My 'poor man's GoPro' is an SJCAM SJ4000..... first time used underwater although that is what she was bought for.... worked good... still from the vid below...
They get good reviews .. but one must beware of cheap knockoffs...
That is really funny.. Warning to be aware about cheap knocks off of the SJCAM, which happens to be a cheap knock off of a GoPro..

Still the SJ4000 sure seemed to do the trick.. flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 13:48   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard60 View Post
That is really funny.. Warning to be aware about cheap knocks off of the SJCAM, which happens to be a cheap knock off of a GoPro..

Still the SJ4000 sure seemed to do the trick.. flk k
I was going ashore in a nice new titfer once when some one suggested it was a knock off of a Tilley. I guess it was... rim, crown, yep.. a knock off.

So GoPro were the first to put a 'new age Box Brownie' in a waterproof plastic box... I'm sure some part of the thing was patented for a while... and they made a good profit for some years.

Moving right along... I think I will go with T Nova's idea... I already have the tank... just need a long occy.

No rope cutter on the shaft... don't know if it would have helped with this... the rope was pretty heavy and in a loosely made up coil.
Old 11-11-2016, 14:10   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20

If you start thinking that you may be too old...you may be there, consider changing course....

Just a joke....no flames needed.
CarolinaCalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 14:30   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCalm View Post
If you start thinking that you may be too old...you may be there, consider changing course....

Just a joke....no flames needed.
Hell, CC, I started thinking that about 15 years ago...

I was just a young whipper-snapper then, and didn't understand the true value of being an old fart sailor.

When I'm REALLY too old, I'll know it: the coffin lid will replace a deck beam as something to hit my head on.

Jim
Old 11-11-2016, 14:44   #26

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpman View Post
You should see what it's like here in Maine US with all the lobster trap lines to foul on. I used to be so careful going through a trap field; then I found out that it's the lobstermen who have cutting blades in front of their props!

I used to carry a pony bottle and regulator on board. Easy to use and takes up very little space. I would definitely NOT use a standard air compressor to breathe from - the smallest amount of exhaust (w/ CO) breathed underwater at pressure could be fatal. Use only certified SCUBA compressors that are continually checked and recertified. There are enough fatalities even using those due to human error. Also keep your pony bottles checked annually and recertified.
To be precise, it is not the "exhaust" as much as the "oil"! Yes, the CO in exhaust is an issue, but the oil in the air will have you throwing-up quickly - not the best of ideas with the head under water!
Breathing air compressors are Oil Free. 2 pistons so the air bit never even sees the oil coated bore of the cylinder. Also have a lot of filtration and moisture removal so it does not corrode out the bottle. Hooka compressors are not to fill cylinders, but to serve the regulators direct so the pressure is a lot less, moisture & temperature are a lot less and so on. Not too expensive and typically offer 20m+ hoses as standards, adequate for most diving on the bottom of the boat or the anchor.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 15:19   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

He is correct about exhaust, if it's engine powered, and the oil is a good point too, a high pressure compressor will burn its oil creating CO2, a couple of cave divers died this way in Mexico a few years back, the shops compressor was serviced with the incorrect oil.
But for building your own Hooka an electric oilless compressor is just fine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 22:11   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2255379]I have an inexpensive silent air compressor.
QUOTE]

we built one and had to use it a couple of times after picking up a line - a couple of years ago we picked on up docking in Kos Greece - 2 hours under the boat was enough - when we hauled the following spring we put on spurs line cutter -
I am to old to spend that much time cutting line off - and I have few hairs on my chest and to old to grow new ones -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:11   #29

I bought a very similar camera following this guy's review.

Techmoan - Techmoan - The fully-loaded Gitup Git2 Pro Camera - what more do youÂ*need?

He does very thorough and entertaining reviews of technical gadgets, and the camera itself has certainly lived up to expectations.

We are part way through a time lapse of a house build.

Bad luck to get the rope around the prop, but at least you were about to anchor!..
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 18:07   #30

Boat: Beneteau First 45F5, Adams 12

I take a "spare air" (Spare Air - the smallest redundant SCUBA system available with enough air to get you to the surface in an out-of-air emergency.) with me on deliveries, on my own boat I take my full kit as well.
It has made the difference of cutting the pot lines away free diving or recovering the pot to see what is inside

I have a problem when in my wetsuit. When I get out, a group of do-gooders from Greenpeace keep keep trying to roll me back in...
Leakie Marine is offline   Reply With Quote