Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 15:28   #1

Marine Stereo & Ipod Connection

I am looking for some real world experience with connecting an Ipod to a marine stereo to not only listen from the Ipod but to also charge it at the same time. I have seen some of the newer stereos which come ready for Ipod connections which look great but I want to know if anyone out there has one and how do they like it. I love my Ipod and I really want to have a good permanent system to keep it going. I am not really interested in the radio broadcast way of connecting to your boat stereo, I want a hard connection.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 15:58   #2

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Here's what I have running. I've installed Cambrige Soundworks "Fleetwood Mac" portable (Cambridge SoundWorks: High Performance Speakers, Home Theater Systems, Table Radios, Multimedia Systems and More) It consists of an amp that runs on 120VAC OR 12VDC, an enclosed bass-woofer (tucked under my nav table) and two small tweeter speakers (mounted on the cabin sides). I then run my iPod into the amp thru a charging dock (with infrared remote control - cushy, I know :-). I also run my short-wave radio FM and small portable DVD player to the amp. Great sound! Hope that helps.
Old 01-02-2008, 16:34   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Our Clarion stereo has an Ipod connection on the front of the unit but you can really plug any MP3 player into it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 16:39   #4

Boat: Peterson 44 in Fiji
Beware claims of IPOD ready

I fitted a new stereo to my boat before sailing up to Fiji from NZ in June, on the understanding it was IPOD ready. Sure it had a USB port but this didn't talk to the IPOD. Ended up plugging into the aux headphone jack - good sounds but no charging facility.

So, fitted a cigarette lighter fitting next to the stereo and bought a 12v charger.

Wires everywhere, but cheaper than ripping everything out and starting again

Cheers
Rhumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 17:23   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Should have added that ours only allows you to listen. We use a small 300 watt inverter with a 12 volt plug to charge small stuff like this.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 20:49   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
We use an iPod dock that charges the iPod and has a line level output that goes to the car-type stereo on board. Another non-120VAC option for charging is a 12V to USB adapter. A friend has a Clarion system that connects and charges his iPod through a proprietary network connection (extra option).

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 23:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have your solution. I just installed a Jensen Marine radio that has an adaptor cable that connects from the back of the stereo unit to the BOTTOM of the Ipod...not the 1/8 inch jack at the top of the IPOD. It also charges the iPod and works as a controller for the iPod. I bought it at West Marine. You will need to order the cable separately. You don't lose any sound quality through the cable because it is digital.

Head unit: MSR3007 - Marine AM/FM/CD/iPod® Sirius® Satellite Ready Stereo - Jensen Marine - ASA Electronics

Adaptor Cable: JIPDCBL12 - iPod Interface Cable - Jensen Marine - ASA Electronics

I also bought the Sirius receiver box...which is really nice to have. The Sirius antenna is sold separately.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:00   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have your solution. I just installed a Jensen Marine radio that has an adaptor cable that connects from the back of the stereo unit to the BOTTOM of the Ipod...not the 1/8 inch jack at the top of the IPOD. It also charges the iPod and works as a controller for the iPod. I bought it at West Marine. You will need to order the cable separately. You don't lose any sound quality through the cable because it is digital.

Head unit: MSR3007 - Marine AM/FM/CD/iPod® Sirius® Satellite Ready Stereo - Jensen Marine - ASA Electronics

Adaptor Cable: JIPDCBL12 - iPod Interface Cable - Jensen Marine - ASA Electronics

I also bought the Sirius receiver box...which is really nice to have. The Sirius antenna is sold separately.
That's the one I referred to as a Clarion in my post above. Guess I didn't pay enough attention to the brand. It works well for them.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:44   #9

David,

Thanks for the information, when you say that "It also charges the iPod and works as a controller for the iPod." does the Jenson display the Ipod screen on the face of the Jenson? and can you control all the functions of the Ipod from the Jenson screen?or do you need to still have access to the Ipod to change selections and playlists?

Thanks to everyone for all their input, I am getting close here. I really want to avoid all the wires everywhere to accomplish this.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 19:42   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When you plug in your iPod, the control of the music on the iPod goes to the Jensen. The Jensen menu is not as nice as the iPod menu, but it works. It does display what music is being played in a primitive scrolling fashion on the Jensen. What I usually end up doing is selecting the music I want to hear on the iPod, and then plug the iPod into to the connector. Either ways works.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:55   #11

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
The only one I know of is the Dual mxdma65, it actually charges and controls the ipod through the radio. I have one, however I don't have an ipod (I hate ipods i have a creative zen), it is a nice radio, I picked it up extremely cheap at an online closeout. The only issue i had with it was the wired remote isn't water proof or eve water resistant, but they replaced the remote and I waterproofed it with some silicone. It's marinized as well. West Marine hsa them, but you can find it elsewhere much cheaper (like buy.com)
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:01   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW, I forgot to say, the Jensen does charge the iPod. I wish I could use the iPod's more intuitive, more familiar and faster controller when it is plugged in but I guess you can't have everything. I guess for some reason Jensen thought their controller was better.

Old 07-02-2008, 15:24   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
IPOD

I have used this kensington adaptor; it plugs right into the 12V cigarette lighter in the car or the 12V on the boat. I have used it next to the radio in the galley, chart table area, and in the cockpit and the sound is the same. No need to make a direct hook up to any boat or car. If you get interference from the FM station you can choose any one that is free or has less interference.

If you need to plug in another 12 V device at the same time you can get an adapter for 2 or 3 other devices that can be plugged in at the same time; just don't overload the circuit otherwise it will trip the breaker.

http://ca.kensington.com/html/12212.html
Old 09-02-2008, 14:06   #14

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I have the Poly Planar MRD70 with the latest IPOD adapter. It goes into the port for the optional CD Changer. You put on a playlist and the controls work as if it was a big CD changer and you can put the Pod away. I leave my CDs at home.

It is easy to get a system that has a Aux input and play the Pod through the headphone jack but that is an analog signal and the Poly Planar system uses the bottom Ipod connection so you get digital quality. The MRD70 also has a built in intercom (Up to 4 stations) so "Honey bring me a beer" is just that much easier.

Itunes can be frustraiting, Best if you have a teenager around.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 12:47   #15

Boat: 2007 SeaRay Sundancer 290
Best Interface for iPod use

I have the Clarion CMD4A and it has an iPod hook up that also charges. My only frustration is scrolling through the iPod songs and artist. Are there any good radios that have a better interface for interacting with the iPod? Or is the better option to plug into the AUX port?

The radio is down below and the remote up top only allows you to go to the next song and does not let you switch playlist or artist.
rainh2o is offline   Reply With Quote