Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 14:28   #46

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22
Re: Longest Distance in the smallest boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagranger View Post
I see you have a venture 22,, inland waterways lakes bays etc..with that being said the boat may take you much further. The only ? is the weather, had to rescue two people off V 21 on their way to Catalina. summer of 1979. usually mild winds but as the weather does change and it did maybe 20 knots that day pressure on centerboard well cracked and oh well you get the picture. I was in my cal 27 that loved 20 and was hauling..So as Clint would say "are you feeling lucky today"
I'm kind of lucky because I'm on the ICW 1nm from an ocean inlet. It's about 60miles or the Bahamas which I think will be my first open water cruise... Not only am I learning everything about the boat.... I'm crash-coursing weather and seas too! Especially across the Gulf Stream... Never the less, on a good day I think this little boat will do fine...
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:35   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
This guy did a solo circumnavigation 2006-2009 in a 19' boat designed for lake sailing. Quite a performance.
Whoa... That looks like a wet ride!
Old 06-02-2016, 14:55   #48

I sailed my Cape Dory Typhoon, 18'6" from Stuart Fl to the Abacos and lived aboard for 3 months. Motor mained across on a 4hp Johnson and cleared customs at Green Turtle. Did Marsh Harbour, Man-o-War Cay, Hopetown and Little Harbor. I have larger Cape Dory's now, but actually had the most fun on the Typhoon, one tough little boat.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:59   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1_us View Post
I sailed my Cape Dory Typhoon, 18'6" from Stuart Fl to the Abacos and lived aboard for 3 months. Motor mained across on a 4hp Johnson and cleared customs at Green Turtle. Did Marsh Harbour, Man-o-War Cay, Hopetown and Little Harbor. I have larger Cape Dory's now, but actually had the most fun on the Typhoon, one tough little boat.
Awesome Wizard! That's where I'm at, Stuart Fl
Old 06-02-2016, 15:03   #50

John Guzzwell rounded the globe in his 20 ft plywood Trekka.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 15:05   #51

Boat: Douglas 32

Quote:
DeepFrz wrote on another thread:

Webb Chiles has put his books on his web site for free download. He also has many pictures and articles of his journeys, things he has written for magazines. Also a blog that I find interesting.
Read these books about his 18 foot open boat, sailed from San Diego in 1978, west, to the Red Sea :
THE_OPEN_BOAT.pdf
The Ocean Waits.pdf

download his books here: inthepresentsea.com/the_actual_site/books.html

Compare these trips with his round the world trips in larger (35') boats in 1974 and 2006!
The smaller the boat, the more strength and endurance you will need!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WebbChiles.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	118469  
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 15:53   #52

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Nobody has answered my question yet ... some of the boats listed earlier were shown to be LESS than four feet (4') long and to have crossed the Atlantic or other such daunting voyages.

I still want to know WHERE and HOW do they store water and provisions for such a long trip. After all, a boat of that length is surely going to take at least 75 - 80 days ???

Just askin' ???
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 15:56   #53

You all are awesome just a bunch of curious sailors ah hambarking you all inspired me thank you life is good. We're all in it together. Respect
You all should check out .YouTube "sailing deep joy" cool kids from BC 21 at the time doing it.
Be cool and learn from each other and your boat. Ya that Hungarian dude is awesome In that 17 fter
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 19:20   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have done many 40-50 mile near costal runs in a kayak. Longest trip was a circumnavigation race around Florida.

My longest open water crossing was over 100 mile bee line route, about 30 hours, non-stop from Cedar Key to St Pete in an 18' Kruger canoe with a Balogh sail rig.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 20:07   #55

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Sailor View Post

How long did it take to go across?

One day, with one crew. We had a grand three hour spinnaker run, which was a big deal for me then.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 20:15   #56

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Alessandro Di Benetto may have the record for a non-stop, single handed, circumnavigation in a small boat. RTW in a Mini Transat 21' 6". He sailed the S and N Atlantic on the way home with a jury rig. The Mini converted for cruising is probably the most seaworthy, fast, minicruiser today.
My longest Mini ride was from Victoria to San Francisco, double handed, in six days - but we were racing, not cruising. Small can be safe and fast.
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:37   #57

Boat: Downeaster 38

Get the book "There be no Dragons."
The smallest boat to cross the Atlantic was 5' 4" and the guy was not a shorty. Yankee Girl was 10' long and crossed the Pacific. I've sailed many miles and days on end in my Old Morgan 21 and was quite comfortable. Two people made it less so and while comforts can be made, it is boat camping in the end.
Depends on your care in planning and desire to get out there! Take a fishing pole!
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:24   #58

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Well, having read all of these comments, it looks like what I have always believed and that is, if you want to do it, just about any old boat will do. You just need to have the desire and the balls to do it.

I still want to know how those fellows in the super small boats managed to cross the Atlantic complete with water and provisions for such a long trip. We're talking a passage of lengthy duration here. One needs sufficient victuals and water. Is there a super small desalinator on the market they might use?
And what about sleeping? I cannot imagine the discomfort level for even the average size fellow sleeping in a vessel that is only five feet long. How do they do it? ... Not for me.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:30   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Longest Distance in the smallest boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
necessity is the mother of adventure?
I like the sound of that

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:33   #60

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

2500 miles, olson 30, did the run from the west coast to hawaii. hell of a fun ride too.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote