Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 08:38   #31

Re: Longest Distance in the smallest boat...

Then again, Hugo Vihlen in " Father's Day " crossed the Atlantic
in a 5 foot 4 inch boat.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:39   #32

Boat: Dufour Classic 31

In 1965, Robert Manry sailed 13.5 ft Tinkerbell, an Old Town Whitecap, from Falmouth Mass to Falmouth UK. The passage took 78 days.
Bainbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:10   #33

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

I tried to find the video of a guy who sailed a tub just like mine (1984 Merit 25) from SF Bay to Hawaii, but couldn't find it. What I did find were several articles about guys who sailed back and forth, similar courses.

I can only suggest that you be thoroughly prepared for any journey.

The video I originally found involved the guy losing his provisions, his nav electronics, and nearly losing his mind, and his life. He DID survive, and made it to Hawaii, but I think he shot a hole in his boat, to sink it, then flew back stateside.

Just do whatever research you can, and make 150% preparations.

Believe me, I don't claim that this message is in any way a complete answer to your question. For your life's sake, don't be a hero.
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
In a 24ft Shark sailed from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas. Met a family of Dad/Mum/2 kids that in the same model sailed from Vancouver to Queensland, Australia and another family that sailed from Toronto to UK and liveaboard in a Shark.
The boat can take it~~~Can you ?
I've raced sharks in some pretty stupid weather on lake Erie. Almost any shark can take more than I can. And make pretty decent VMG upwind while doing it.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:44   #35

Boat: Cal 2-27

I learned to sail on a sunfish as a child. Would love to capsize and right the boat before I weighed enough to stand on the dagger board solo and get it upright. That boat little boat used to get sailed from Baltimore to Annapolis and back. Some good adventures were had on that boat. Its still in my moms backyard covered. Going to teach my son to sail on that boat in a couple of years.

it's not the size but how you use it that counts.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:04   #36

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had a 1978 Tanzer 22, and I sailed it everywhere on Lake Ontario. It could easily hold supplies for a full week of cruising. T22 are common around here. Its not rare to meet a T22 in the thousand islands region which sailed from Toronto, about 150 miles away.

I had a 1982 C&C 27 mk4. I leisurely circumnavigated Lake Ontario, about 400 miles and 30 days. It had a yanmar, autohelm, and roller furling. It easily held enough water, food, and fuel for the trip. I think the diesel tank was still almost full on my return. The only real supplies I needed along the way was fresh produce, and ice (no refrigeration). I would have been happy on that boat for at least 2 months at a time.

I had a 1974 C&C25. I would take it out with my 2 young kids for a week at a time up to the thousand islands region. We would sit on the hook for days, swimming and playing. That boat was bulletproof. I would have sailed it south without hesitation. However, we would usually only sail maybe 100km per trip. I bought it in Toronto, and sailed it home to Kingston the following day...150 miles.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:39   #37

Just Sailed my 78 seafarers 26 from Lake Ontario ny to st. Petersburg fl solo. Had the time of my life. A lot of people said I was crazy... Pretty easy if you watch the weather and take your time. did it on the cheap too,Anchor out. Not sure how far.not exactly sure how long either. More than 500 mi. Outside. Don't need much. Respect for wind and waves play it safeish. Peace and love.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:49   #38

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Shane Action, whom I meet in Malaysia years ago, went all the way around in SHRIMPY a 18 Ft. Sloop, starting from England, he was one tough guy, a British Royal Marine, I had the pleasure of sharing a few pints with him, he gone now, the big C got him, he wrote a book, don't remember the tittle.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:45   #39

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Looking at the list of accomplished small boat sailors I wonder what is the point, and how do they survive? Like a vessel of only 3'11" crossing the Atlantic ... where did that fellow store sufficient food and water for the voyage? It seems impossible to me ... or foolhardy ... what say you?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:54   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Longest Distance in the smallest boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Looking at the list of accomplished small boat sailors I wonder what is the point, and how do they survive? Like a vessel of only 3'11" crossing the Atlantic ... where did that fellow store sufficient food and water for the voyage? It seems impossible to me ... or foolhardy ... what say you?
Beats waiting for Godo...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 13:03   #41

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Personally about 3 days at sea in a 26 footer but one of the group that sailed with me down the west coast of Europe was in a 25 footer and he carried on to Brazil. All depend on the boat, it has to be built for the job you are asking it to do. There are a few 26 footers I would cross oceans in and plenty of 40 footers I wouldn't.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 13:39   #42

I see you have a venture 22,, inland waterways lakes bays etc..with that being said the boat may take you much further. The only ? is the weather, had to rescue two people off V 21 on their way to Catalina. summer of 1979. usually mild winds but as the weather does change and it did maybe 20 knots that day pressure on centerboard well cracked and oh well you get the picture. I was in my cal 27 that loved 20 and was hauling..So as Clint would say "are you feeling lucky today"
dagranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 13:56   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus View Post
Just Sailed my 78 seafarers 26 from Lake Ontario ny to st. Petersburg fl solo. Had the time of my life. A lot of people said I was crazy...
You are my kind of crazy...I am impressed. I think you are awesome!!!
IMHO, you are a role model for all us armchair and lake sailors.

Do you have a blog or a video of your trip on youtube?
Old 06-02-2016, 14:08   #44

The Mini-Transat race uses 21' boats, sailing solo across the atlantic at ridiculous speeds.

However, I think the OP wants to hear first hand experiences, not googled stats and records.

If I was short on dollars, and homeless, I would not hesitate to sail a Tanzer 22 to the Caribbean from my home here on Lake Ontario. They sell for hundreds of dollars. Perhaps necessity is the mother of adventure?
Old 06-02-2016, 14:20   #45

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
First time I took her out.... I had a lightweight spinning rod tied to the stern... I didn't know how well the thing was going to sail/react to the rudder and sail servos.... I didn't wanna lose my new $300 toy!
Very cool! It looks expensive... Almost as much as my Sailboat! Literally!

Lol
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote