Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 20:01   #31
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
I cant believe he tried to hoist the kite in that wind! I would have liked to see it if he succeeded. The boat would probably have taken off.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:47   #32

Boat: Brewer 44
we are already living our dream - by getting ready to embarck on "the (real) dream" of living aboard, cruising to far off places, learning, living simply, and enjoying the friendships we (will) make along the way....while there is much excitement about our future plans (we 'shove off' in a little over a month! www.windtraveler.blogspot.com, join us!) - we are living the dream every day by working on our boat, having fun with family and friends, and being thankful for all we have! sounds hippy dippy (and i assure you, i do not burp rainbows and fart sunshine), but it's true! i have learned that the grass is always greener in some sense, so to just be happy in the now is the best way to combat this...easier said than done for sure...there are trade offs for every lifestyle choice. right now, we are enjoying the stuff we will (inevitably) miss when we are at sea (i.e. friends, family, unlimited water, chilled white wine (we have no fridge), going for long runs everyday, tv, movies...etc.etc)...with the knowlege that soon these things will be gone and while we'll miss them, in their place will be a whole slew of new challenges, expereinces, passions, and pastimes! good luck to everyone following their dreams!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:34   #33

Boat: a sailing boat
Dreamers WAKE UP!

Sailing is 99% hard work, and the deep blue sea is NOT a place for dreamers ...

And yet ...

Dreaming is the fuel of all our actions.

So perhaps wake up to keep on dreaming ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:25   #34

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
I moved to Tortola 11 years ago, bought a pub there, and have never looked back. In that time I have built a house and gone through an Anthena 38 and a Morgan 505. Just bought a sweet Hinckley B40 and will bring it down from Maine in October.

Life is Good!
Ed
compassrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 00:20   #35

Boat: Hunter 37.5 1991
incredible, i want to sail like that, i have before but was very young with my dad50 years ago in a hurricane.
dancing with the forces of nature!!
CoolBreezeTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 00:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Dreamers WAKE UP!

Sailing is 99% hard work, and the deep blue sea is NOT a place for dreamers ...

And yet ...

Dreaming is the fuel of all our actions.

So perhaps wake up to keep on dreaming ;-)

b.
KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE!!!
HIT THE SNOOZE ALARM!!!
Old 21-09-2010, 02:14   #37
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I am 29 years old now earning a little more than average, but not by a large margin.

My ultimate dream was to buy home, pay it off, buy yacht and sail the world on rental income and keep the home while yachting. Hopefully with a lovely lady who shares a similar dream. I think keeping the house while cruising is the most responsible plan as yachts fall in value and houses go up. Even if that means I cant buy as big of a yacht. In the meantime just go sailing where I can.

I purchased my home in 2003 and I now owe less than half what it is worth now and I have saved about 50K. I have a beach cat and went halves in a mate in a 25 foot trailer yacht and I go sailing every second weekend on the cat or over a few nights on the 25 footer. This xmas I will be going to the Whitsundays for 4 weeks on the B25.

Right now I am realizing that my relationships with woman who I have nothing in common with, and just liked because they were attractive were never going to last. I never went sailing with them in these relationships so the dream was never going to happen. The dream was forgotten as they didn't want to sail. When I'm single the dream comes back and this time if she doesn't want to come sailing its a no go from the start! I'd rather be single and sailing. Thanks to the advent of internet dating I am having a second date with a nice doctor on her yacht this sat!

I am also toying with the idea of putting the ultimate dream of full home ownership and self financed cruising on hold for while. This Tues I am going to see a financial planner and mortgage broker to get another 50k on top of my savings. Then I can use my 6 months payed leave with say a year of leave with no pay to buy a boat and cruise Asia from Brisbane for a year or so with a good reserve of emergency cash. (or sail pacific by buying in the US). My house will equal its repayments with rental income during this period even with the extra money on it due to a refinance for 30 years. When I get back I can sell the boat and if all goes will it will have only postponed the ultimate dream by a few years or even reduced it if I make money by buying a yacht overseas. Unfortunately Australia is the land of the most expensive yacht.
Progress update. My house now owes only 100K down from 200 when I first got it 7 years ago and I earn quite a bit more now so it should be done in 4 years or so. My relationship my Nikki is also going well and she loves yachting as much as I do. In fact she will be living on her yacht soon.

Then in November I will be sailing from Adelaide to Brisbane on my mates 35 foot yacht. So, as far as living the dream goes I think I am doing OK.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 03:43   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Dreams change over time...
Final Dream:

I want to finish well. I don't know how many years I have left, but in the time that remains, I intend to finish well. I am going to make a difference in the lives of the people that I meet.
The final dream is the words of a man in acceptance of himself. truly to be admired.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:33   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
The final dream is the words of a man in acceptance of himself. truly to be admired.

''... ultimately we are our own mothers and fathers, we must tell ourselves, you are good, you are ok the way that you are...''
to paraqhrase John D. McDonald
Old 21-09-2010, 10:56   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
What is my dream?
This is where I was anchored yesterday
Dinner under the stars was followed by a hot chocolate and movie in the cockpit, moonlight casting a glow on the cliffs next to us. Sheer magic!
I better not pinch myself I might wake up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kleftiko 01 s.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	19488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kleftiko 08 s.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	19489  

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 11:17   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
coool pix--i think i wont b going to med, but i am spozed to be leaving this winter for warmer water--i dream about each step as i go----easier to achieve the dream if is kept light. when my own boat isnt up to meeting my dreams, i run way from home and sail with others on their boats for a while....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 14:30   #42

Man ... with this amount of beauty around you you still need the movie and the chocolate??? What's wrong with ya?

;-)))

There is an old anecdote about the difference between Taoism and Zen: Zen teaches you how to like the things you do, Tao teaches you how to do the things you like.

I think the dream is to give up the highway of everyday, to grow on the the road of Zen and follow the narrow and winding path of Tao.

cheers
b.
Old 31-01-2011, 10:06   #43

Boat: Hunter Marine, Hunter 28.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel
Been thinking about the dream for years ever since hangin out with the inlaws in Tobago. Bought a 34' cat three years ago and have been preparing ever since. Well with reading all the great input in this forum, WE'RE READY! we think. We ( wife ) have decided just recently to put the plan into action to start the dream. She is tired of hearing me talk about it anyway. So we're looking into renting the house, for now anyway, putting my business up for sale. ( any takers?) We plan to move aboard in six months or when house rents. Sell what we don't need, work our jobs for this year ( she gets through with school in June 2011) and acumulate what we can and go for it. We both have been working hard for years. Shes a SLP and myself, a contractor. We fiqure there has to be more to life than living the rat race. Ever since Tobago, the dream has almost been like a disease. Every time we go out we say lets head south and not come back. It seems a little scary not having regular jobs to depend on, however that has never stopped me before when I was younger. We're not old, 53 & 48. We both really want to do this and I have a wife who grew up around sailing. We'll probably hang around east coast for now and try out Bahamas. We want to be close by for elderly parents.
We have thought this through, saved a bit and have equity in the house, if need be to sell. We also own free & clear a piece of land to come back to terra firma if necesary. We're going for it, and hoping and praying it's not a mistake. Any input is always appreciated.

Mark Twain said it best!!
Check out the website www.bizbuysell.com or google "sell my business"... It's surprisingly easy to cash in on all of your hard work building your business. Many of my clients are amazed at how much their website URL alone is worth. Best of luck cashing in and chasing rainbows.

San Diego, CA
SuddenVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:27   #44

A marina with a free slip is a dream.
A marina with no cruisers, their cats, kids and noise is a dream.
An anchorage just to ourselves is a dream.

There are many dreams. But they are, well ... just dreams!

b.
Old 31-01-2011, 13:11   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
some folks's dreams are other folks's nightmares..LOL....
i know i am living someone's dream--it will be a nice dream after this packing gland bs is solved..LOL...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote