Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 05:30   #31
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Listen Lurkers

I've met a lot of CF lurkers and posters, old and new, over the last few years. One lurker when asked why he did not join and post summed it up fairly accurate for the others. "We don't want to deal with the CF Dirty Dozen". I thought it interesting and clever. I can certainly see their point.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:03   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Listen Lurkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I've met a lot of CF lurkers and posters, old and new, over the last few years. One lurker when asked why he did not join and post summed it up fairly accurate for the others. "We don't want to deal with the CF Dirty Dozen". I thought it interesting and clever. I can certainly see their point.
I put dibs on the music selection..

Atoll.. Move to Portugal.. I am JAM on my sad little pension.. back in the UK I'd be on every benefit known to man.. and standing at the Food banks.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:10   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Moderators?
Old 07-12-2018, 06:58   #34

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

I'm a semi lurking clueless powerboater. Also known as a bile tosser. Learning alot on this forum and will contribute as my clueless status diminishes, if ever.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:17   #35

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Yesterday I came back to the marina slip after, well something for a different story.

Right after I docked at night one of my dock mates that I hadn't met before (I've been here a month) stopped on his way back from dog walking to tell us we had our running lights on (yeah had only just pulled in and were putting lines etc on). During talking a while he out of nowhere asks "Are you on CF?", to which I reply yes. Then he says "Are you Sailorboy?", which I again answer yes.

Now this has happened numerous times now out of the blue and it amazes me sometimes, and at other times it creeps me out like I'm being stalked by internet forum pervs. The conversion continues and I ask him his user name, because maybe I want to read how crazy the guy down the dock is, and he saids "I don't have one and just read it".

So here's the point, now listen up lurkers:

You need to get a username etc. and start posting your our crap crazy thread questions and answer questions like the settee experts we all are. I've been here a while (before I have ever stepped foot on a sailboat) and only have a limited number of crazy crap and reponses left in me. If you lurker newbies don't step up this place will continue down the endless "be nice only" posts and lose it's entertainment value (and that's the reason we all are mostly here). If you don't my crazy posts stand out and even though they aren't nothing compared to the fun of CF back say 5 years ago, I get a warning or strike for hardly anything to my mind because I was here "way" back and that's how I think of the place.

We need your crazy male cow fecal matter (see how I have to be PC) to keep the place going and I need the cover sometimes.

Get with it you gutless lurkers!!!!!
Gonna disagree with you, sailorboy. Just because I have an interest in something you do (or publish), doesn't mean I have to join your club. Then to call them lurkers because they relate you to what you wrote, then come forward to show they have interest in what you have to say, you should be flattered. Some would call it Celebrity Status ...or Notorious. Your choice.

Personally, I would have thanked him.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:22   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
Gonna disagree with you, sailorboy. Just because I have an interest in something you do (or publish), doesn't mean I have to join your club. Then to call them lurkers because they relate you to what you wrote, then come forward to show they have interest in what you have to say, you should be flattered. Some would call it Celebrity Status ...or Notorious. Your choice.

Personally, I would have thanked him.
I'm sure glad he was nicer and had a better sense of humor than you appear to have!!! I don't any "club" I know of, but if there is one I don't know about please don't join.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:27   #37

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
I'm sure glad he was nicer and had a better sense of humor than you appear to have!!! I don't any "club" I know of, but if there is one I don't know about please don't join.
Notorious it is then.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:40   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i, for one, have slowed posting way down due to folks not being able to read and comprehend facts and situations without placing their own idiocy into my words. sorry, that aint how i write, and then answering with rudeness as a result of this inability to comprehend, which is turned back onto me. oopsy. . . now i write for others elsewhere for people who can understand and comprehend objectivity and personal experiences without placing their own twist on my words.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:52   #39

Boat: Macgregor 21

This coming from the guy who, after I did post, sent me private messages containing insults and personal attacks. Here's a way to increase participation - don't be a dick.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:06   #40

Quote:
The conversion continues and I ask him his user name, because maybe I want to read how crazy the guy down the dock is, and he saids "I don't have one and just read it".
Maybe he lied so that you cannot search through your neighbors previous posts and find out too much?

Quote:
start posting your our crap crazy thread questions and answer questions like the settee experts we all are. :
How did you arrange such a low medical premium?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:09   #41
CLOD

Boat: none

I take the whole thread back. It was met as fun, but I forgot what’s important.

People do the smart safe thing, remain lurkers
Old 07-12-2018, 09:37   #42
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
yes it would be nice to hear more from those gay,feminist,newly immigrated,coloured and young cruiser lurkers that are out there.
jimmy buffet ,like the dinosaurs and gun threads are so last centuary.
lets hear what really rattles the boxes of millenial cruisers....
Quote:
As expected mostly the same old fart posters. I will admit that some getting close to the colorful posting of years gone by, bit fear is holding them back.

Where's the younger lurkers that know how to post videos like "cows got guns" in post #23? That was a pretty serious and educational documentary and we could use more of those!
"Coloured" is racially inappropriate. Black or African American is the preferred term. As is Asian; "oriental" is reserved for references to furniture or items. I have seen some posts on CF like this one that would explain why the "young cruisers" are lurking rather than posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Moderators?
Oh they're there and I've already gotten a smack from one of them. As a moderator on a Disney forum, I think your mods are rather harsh in their verbage, and it took me a few days to decide if I wanted to keep posting on here, or just bail and stick with other social media. For now I'm still here-just have to figure out y'all's hoops a little better.

I lurked for 3 years because we didn't have a boat. Now that we do have a boat, I have some questions I can ask that I feel add to the general value of the site. At some point I may have some advice to post wrt sailing, but for now it's mostly asking about toilets and such...
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24   #43

Boat: Pearson 10M

Oh they're there and I've already gotten a smack from one of them. As a moderator on a Disney forum, [COLOR="Navy"]I think your mods are rather harsh in their [/COLOR]verbage, and it took me a few days to decide if I wanted to keep posting on here, or just bail and stick with other social media. For now I'm still here-just have to figure out y'all's hoops a little better.

..[/QUOTE]

We all have our own level of comfort about harsh words, but if you think these moderators are harsh, you should come over to a motorcycle forum. This place is really quite tame. I doubt the mods are getting paid, so don't take it personal.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:31   #44
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
I'm a semi lurking clueless powerboater. Also known as a bile tosser. Learning alot on this forum and will contribute as my clueless status diminishes, if ever.
I belong to a virtual yacht club that allows both powerboaters and sailors to join. They just have to stop fighting and swearing for the annual BBQ. I'm determined to gain a clue or die in the attempt!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08   #45
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
We all have our own level of comfort about harsh words, but if you think these moderators are harsh, you should come over to a motorcycle forum. This place is really quite tame. I doubt the mods are getting paid, so don't take it personal.
The Disney people are crazy, I'm sure they could give the motorcycle people (of which I am also one) a run for their money; and yes, most mods aren't paid. Some mods have better soft skills than others, is mostly what I was inferring.
Closed Thread