Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-10-2008, 03:05   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
According to reports by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), six lionfish where released into Biscayne Bay, when Hurricane Andrew (1992) smashed a private aquarium.

The red lionfish is an inhabitant of near and offshore coral and rocky reefs to depths of 50 meters. The species shows a clear preference for sheltering under ledges or in caves or crevices by day.

If you encounter this fish during the day, when it is typically found hiding, it will usually remain motionless (except possibly for erecting its dorsal spines).

If you encounter it in the open during the day or night (when it feeds), it will typically flee for a hiding place, especially when illuminated by a dive light.

No effective method of control has been identified as of yet.

Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:04   #32

I was told recently that the primary source for the lion fish in the Bahamas is Atlantis. They filter the water going in to their fish tanks but not the discharge. The lion fish larve just flowed out into open water. That has probably changed now, given the problems.

Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:03   #33

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Adult and juvenile lionfish sigthed off St Croix. People encouraged to catch them in bags----The article can be read here Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:29   #34

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
LionFish predators. My wife placed a fairly small lionfish in my predator tank and about a week later we sall a 18" bamboo shark eat the lionfish whole with no ill effects. I was worried as we'd had the shark for a while but we didn't see any ill effects except that it didn't eat during that day's feeding (it had already eaten). This tank has two bamboo sharks and a chainlink moray eel. We've had other lions and puffers. The lionfish were by far the most voracious eaters; could be a problem on the reefs.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 08:16   #35

Boat: s/v Dharma and s/v This End Up!
Another Link

Didn't see this link here so figured I'd add it:

I think this season in the Key's and Bahamas I'll be eating my fair share of this critter
NautiHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:27   #36

Boat: Fast Passage 40
I will kill on sight. We must stop the envasion and the envenomation.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57   #37

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Just last month they have been reported off the Yucatan and Quintana Roo coasts in Mexico. A newsreport at Christmas showed the cleaning process of the fish for eating. It was suggested that it would be an ideal protein supplement for the poor, but the lady cleaning did not look too impressed to me.
We are all in the same boat. Be happy that not everyone is on your side.
Always bear in mind that I am total newbie .
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:52   #38

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser
Here is a good 2 part documentary produced in the Bahamas.

Lionfish Invasion Video Conch Salad TV Part 1: Source & the Problem

s/v Beach Cruiser
Beach Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:18   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
I will kill on sight. We must stop the envasion and the envenomation.
Good to kill them, and if you are in the Bahamas and Caribbean you will have plenty opportunities to spend hours in the water doing so, but it is much, much too late for snorklers/spearfishers to have any real impact on the invasion or continued growth of the population.

They are well-established in deep water reefs as well as shallow ones - calm reefs as well as violent ones - and we have seen them in numbers all through the Bahamas, PR, VI's, Leewards, Windwards, Venezuela, and ABC's. We haven't been on the reefs in Columbia and Panama, but expect to see them here also.

There are far too many good habitats that are well outside the environmental ranges any people can reasonably access to believe they can be controlled through hunting.

For killing ones on reefs, I just remove the spear tip from my pole spear and start punching holes in them. You can kill a lot this way and don't have to worry about getting the fish off the spear. Punch - pull - punch - pull...etc... If you are inclined to go through the bother of cleaning them for eating, you can go back and collect the bodies.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: