Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2008, 10:52   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Life Uncharted” ~ “Home is a boat, and the backyard changes every day"

A new television series featuring the boating lifestyle will begin shooting this summer.

“Life Uncharted,” with the subtitle “Home is a boat, and the backyard changes every day,” is a 13-episode travel-adventure series about a family’s passage from Maine to the Bahamas.

“Life Uncharted” is produced by Jeffrey A. Cox and Cindy Wallach, of Philadelphia-based No Joke Productions, in association with Beverly Hills- and London-based Shankly Productions. Both produce travel-adventure programming airing on major cable networks worldwide, reaching more than 339 million households, according to No Joke Productions.

“The show emphasizes real-life boating,” said Cox, executive producer at No Joke Productions and an avid boater. “We are presenting recreational boating in its natural form, on the water, focusing on the life-changing experiences and extraordinary passion that only boating can bring.”

The television production offers product placement, imbedding products in the show, to the boating industry. Cox points out that, “once a product is part of a television show, it’s there forever, traveling well beyond its cost, which is similar to print ads”. Cox says this is possible, “simply because we don’t pay for air time like a TV spot, the networks pay us for a quality television show, it’s not advertising, it’s entertainment, the best kind of marketing, a unique win for everyone”. Zodiac, Imtra, and Piratecom are already on board, and several leading boating magazines publishers wish to cover the family’s progress in a cross platform marketing effort. The show is currently in pre-production, shooting begins summer 2009.

Most famous product placement: Why was Reese's Pieces E.T.’s favorite candy?- Because M&M said no. M&M Mars was originally approached for product placement of M&M’s in E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. Mars declined, Hershey with Reese's Pieces said “yes”. Immediately after the movie was released, sales of Reese's Pieces increased by 80%.

More: No Joke Productions

Life Uncharted Television Series

http://nojokeproductions.net/pdf/Lif...%20Program.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 11:02   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Thanks Gord - I look forward to the show, albeit with some serious reservations. Since significant product placement is stated as a goal by the producers, I fear we will end up with a large and grossly over-equipped vessel that will have little resemblance to what most of us sail.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 11:15   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I wonder if they will edit out ..puking..groundings, mayday requests and all manners or equipment failures related to advertisers products..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 11:22   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Better hope they don't run it ashore in North Carolina or it's gonna be a 6 episode series!

Oh that was uncalled for!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 11:22   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Actually, I suspect they will want all the puking, groundings, arguments, tears etc. they can get. However I suspect you are right about editing out any equipment failures to products they have been paid to use.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 11:51   #6

Boat: Currently Stranded
Good news for anyone thinking of buying a boat in 1-2 years. THe first thing i can think is that the coast is going to be littered with boats when people watch the show and decide this is what they want to do before even spending a day on a boat.

Anyone want to start a sign business selling the "motivated seller - Tricked by TV Show" signs???
csiunatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 12:02   #7
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Great idea, the only bad thing is that it will portratit de "American Dream" taken to sea as this is a cheap US production
Old 24-11-2008, 18:52   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiunatc View Post
Good news for anyone thinking of buying a boat in 1-2 years. THe first thing i can think is that the coast is going to be littered with boats when people watch the show and decide this is what they want to do before even spending a day on a boat.

I wish it was a power boat show then...I have two I cant sell and i could use the up comming buying frenzy...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 19:19   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
passage from Maine to the Bahamas.

Wow. At 13 eps to get only that far you will be watching TV till you're 95 to get a real appreciation of it. Much better to just haul in the pick and sail off yourselves.

People constantly ask us if we are writing a book / doing a video / submitting for magazines etc.... we just say NO! We want to live the life of cruisers not reporters

Mark
PS It's cold here! Who wrote "Sail towards the equator till the butter melts. Stay there."?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 04:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I wish it was a power boat show then...I have two I cant sell and i could use the up comming buying frenzy...
Nowhere in Gord's post did it say "sail" or "sailboat". My guess is they will use a trawler or Searay type. It might be seen as silly to watch a bluewater sailboat motor 2000 miles down the intercoastal, raising a sail once or twice, waiting for every bridge to open, getting waked by all the 'cool boats', and running aground frequently.
Old 25-11-2008, 04:57   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Nowhere in Gord's post did it say "sail" or "sailboat". My guess is they will use a trawler or Searay type...
Had you watched the video previously linked at
http://www.nojokeproductions.net/sea...foodquest.html
you would have known that they are cruising aboard the (planing) Motoryacht “Seafood Quest”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 11:42   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Mark
PS It's cold here! Who wrote "Sail towards the equator till the butter melts. Stay there."?

Wonderful advice......I am going to do exactly that next time I leave this damned cold river!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 11:51   #13

Boat: Privilege 37
Complaining about the cold - wont get a lot of sympathy from me it was minus 7 celsius yesterday.
Old 25-11-2008, 11:54   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Well then,

You can have sympathy from me! That's way to COLD
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 13:19   #15

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
John,

I was wondering what you thought of the weather in GCS. I agree, too cold.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote