Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-01-2010, 13:20   #16

Wow!! Thanks for the quick response! I've emailed Pedro and hope he can give me good info. If so, I'll share it with the forum.

Old 28-01-2010, 13:40   #17

Well....Pedro was no help. He told me to contact the satellite manufacturers. He said they "don't provide information regarding antennas for sailboats." I contacted KVH Industries, but don't feel confident they knew what they were talking about regarding coverage area. The M-5 coverage map does not seem to cover the BVI, but KVH said it would!!??!!?? Still confused...

Old 30-01-2010, 22:53   #18

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
If you can tune in the Sats from southern Florida, given the width of the broadcast beam you should be able to have TV in the BVI.
Old 19-02-2010, 05:46   #19

C3 Help !
If have just purchased a boat with this system and was promised it would work with Direct TV Latin America in the Caribbean - it does not! I have called KVH and they are not too helpfull but did make reference to after market software and replacemnet LNB so you can make the system point at the Galaxy sat - any ideas, help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated
The Mongoose
Trellis Bay
BVI
Old 20-02-2010, 05:48   #20

Boat: Now Boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.ward View Post
....So to get HDTV on Dish you'd need to simultaneously hit 110 degrees and 119 degrees azimuth at 47 degrees elevation and 129 degrees azimuth at 37 degrees elevation. On an eliptical dish setup this is accomplished with the geometry of the dish itself. On an omnidirectional system like the KVH there has to be a the system has to be able to track and sync (both azimuth and elevation) for all of those satellites at once (and if you're with DirecTV an additional one)....
This may explain the issue I'm having. I have the KVH M3 system (2004 vintage I believe) with a Dish 500 standard definition DVR. I can get the KVH to track sattelite 119 just fine. Unfortunately, Dish splits up its programming across birds 119 and 110. So when I change channels to a signal coming from 110, I get reception for a few seconds, then the KVH goes into search mode due to Low RF Threshold. (I have a serial port connection from a laptop to the KVH maintenance port and can see how & what the antenna is doing). Dish tech support says (rightfully so I believe) that it's not their problem. KVH says that since the unit tracks 119 it's working fine. Caught in a loop here...

Net result is - and I'm NOT making this up - the only news channel I can get is FOX News. Since we don't think Glen Beck is worth the battery drain the system stays off most of the time

Just kidding - I actually think the Glen Beck is not worth the electrons it would take to trigger the detonator that would blow him away....

But I digress.....

Old 20-02-2010, 06:07   #21

C3 Myth

This is just a general warning for anybody looking to buy the KVH C3 unit - it is great for US waters but once south of the Florida Keys it will not work even if you change providers.
If anybody is passing by Trellis Bay, BVI on their way back to the US I have a brand new unit for sale and it will be going cheap as it is no good to me !!

Mongoose
Old 20-02-2010, 11:04   #22

Boat: Irwin 37 Ketch
The KVH Conundrum

DTVLA uses only the Galaxy 5 satellite so you won’t have the tracking problems you get with DirecTV USA or Dish Network. You do need the special LNB but it is easy to install. Above all I would forget talking to KVH and talk to a local dealer as they have far more local knowledge. But NO it will not work without the proper LNB.
If only I could get Fox on the west coast of Mexico there would be standing room only in the cockpit.
SV Andalucía
Mazatlan, Mexico
Hollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 11:07   #23

Re: KVH TracVision C3

Am planning a trip down the ICW shortly and it appears I have two main options for TV...one is Tracvision TV1, other being a Verizon FIOS app that works thru iPads or iPhone and HDMI adaptor. Any views on quality of the FiOS option? We expect to be anchoring 1/3 to 1/2 the time.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-09-2014, 07:34   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullinsr View Post
Am planning a trip down the ICW shortly and it appears I have two main options for TV...one is Tracvision TV1, other being a Verizon FIOS app that works thru iPads or iPhone and HDMI adaptor. Any views on quality of the FiOS option? We expect to be anchoring 1/3 to 1/2 the time.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
How will you be accessing the FIOS? Do you have a fast unlimited data plan to allow you video streaming? If not, this is really not practical. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 18:49   #25

I am in the process of setting up the Fios app on iPhone. 10gig data plan will cost roughly $80 more than what I am now paying. As soon as Fios app is set up I will test in the annapolis area. Hopefully there will be adequate coverage for most of the length of the ICW. Is the consensus that coverage is generally pretty good?

Bob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: