Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-09-2014, 16:37   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Kitesurfing

Anyone do it? I've been thinking about giving it a try.

Looking for advice regarding brands of kites and boards suitable for beginners.

Anyone selling their gear cheap in Qld would be handy too....

Old 03-09-2014, 17:29   #2

Re: Kitesurfing

I have been kiting for about 12 years, shortly after the sport started. The sport has a bit of a learning curve and takes time on the water to get proficient and safe. You should definitely get professional lessons so you don't seriously injure yourself. Get lessons before you rush out buying equipment. You should budget about $2-3k to get everything (used). You will ultimately need at least two kites, probably a 11 meter kite and a 14 meter kite, that will give you the capability to ride in a wide range of winds (12-25 kts). Cabrinha is the an excellent brand of kites and boards, you don't want to skimp on quality, like a good sail. You can get by with one board initially...a twin tip. Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 04-09-2014, 13:48   #3

Boat: Sold our Gemini 105M , lookin' for a new cat...

I agree 100% with DMAC, kiteboarding isn't a sport to just buy the gear and "give it a go". I windsurfed for 20 years, started kiting about 7 years ago. Get professional instruction, and to really make it worthwhile, go somewhere with warm, shallow water. The Outer Banks of North Carolina are a terrific area to visit and learn to kite. If you really want to start on the right foot, buy yourself a 2m trainer foil (check out Real Watersports). This will teach you the basics of flying a kite, wind window, etc... You have to learn to fly the kite before you can even think about putting aboard under your feet. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2014, 14:29   #4

The above 2 posts are absolutely correct.

www.cat5kiteboarding.com
Old 04-09-2014, 14:34   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

ditto on the above 2 comments. Speak with a kite teacher, try borrow a DVD and study it on the safety, setup, basics etc. I did and it saved a lot of time on the water.
DONT BUY USED GEAR ON EBAY AND TEACH YOURSELF!
Trust us, any kiter has seen that guy on the beach, had a chat to him, tried to talk him out of flying it before a lesson and called the ambulance for him when he didn't listen.
Lessons are probably $70 an hr and you might get away with 2 lessons. Most kite shops knock the lesson price off the gear you buy from them.
Kites are like sails so weight and wind dependent. Im 65kg and only use a 6m kite now, it does me from 15k to 35k on a surfboard and either side of that range I don't want to kite anyway. Get a kite that suits your local conditions and your weight first. If its regularly over 15k and you are 90kg, probably around 12m for a twin tip board. The instructor will point you in the right direction there. Try not to make the mistake of buying a big ass kite because you love it and want to kite as soon as the wind gets to 10k. After a while it gets boring mowing the lawn on a big kite and you will wait till the wind fills in.
2m 2 line foil kites are good for getting the basics and fun for skateboarding with as well.
learning and the learning curve is a LOT of fun! Its great fun getting the basics, in and out, getting the gybes right, learning some tricks like switchfoot and jumping etc. Its really addictive. For a lot of people its all they want to do for the first few years.
For me kiting combines all the best aspects of some of my favourite sports.
Sailing - its like being out on trapeze and flying a hull
Snowboarding - you can really carve the water and its very similar in a lot of ways
Wakeboarding - very similar except landings are a lot less painfull with a kite and jumps can go on forever...well for 10-15 seconds anyway.
Surfing - A lot like surfing but not. I dont ride twin tips anymore and just use a normal surfboard when I kite. I usually use it in waves when the wind is from the right direction and primarily use it to be towed to the lineup and try to surf the waves as naturally as possible. Its not the same as surfing but its a lot of fun. Still theres nothing like actually paddling into a wave

This site should have some good info and prices, and the kites are good. I think you can only buy them online.
Ben Wilson Surf
Old 04-09-2014, 17:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks guys. A few people I've talked to have also recommended Cabrinha gear, so I'll be on the lookout for that.

I used to wakeboard, so I think the board riding part should be OK, and have done a few hours flying a trainer kite to the point where I felt I was flying it, rather than the other way round.

But yeah lessons would definitely be a necessity. Getting too old to go wrecking knees...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: