Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2009, 10:59   #1

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Kindle Aboard

A while back on a post, I asked about potential gifts. One poster recommended 'Kindle', an electronic book format where 'books' can be downloaded from Amazon. We're really interested in this, as we'll be leaving to more out-of-the-way places and my wife is an avid reader. So, does 'kindle' seem to hold up in a boating environment and is it realitvely easy to download new books if an internet connection is available? Our goal is to be able to obtain new titles (in English) while outside of the US.

I guess the downside is not being able to exchange books in cruiser's hangouts.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 12:32   #2

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Kindle downloads off the Sprint network and not the internet. You must be in the US and have cell coverage to get a download. On the new kindles you may can download the book to your PC over the internet and then transfer the book to the Kindle but I dont think that you can do this.

We have two kindles and love them. We download lots of books prior to leaving the US for the boat. Not having to carry around all those books in hard copy is fantastic. A drawback to Kindle is if you have a book that has a lot of photos, charts or drawings, it does not always show up well on the screen, so a hard copy of the book would be better. I assume that in future versions of Kindle and other book readers that this will improve greatly.

The Kindle is an electronic gizmo that is not water resistant so it will break if you get it wet or drop it really hard. We have not had any problem with breaking one but I suppose that we could. Our boat stays very dry inside while underway.

There are other book readers now on the market and coming to the market. Sony and others have a new one that I would look into if I were you. Other book readers will not require you to buy only from Amazon and will allow you to trade E books with others.
Old 21-09-2009, 12:44   #3

Kindles are cool, however you can forget about trading books. You might want to consider buying some other ebook reader, Sony has one, and Barnes&Noble are coming out with one in the new year. If you want to go high end you can buy the Irex reader. The Kindle is limited to Amazon ( as already noted ) and Amazon's DRM policies.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 14:17   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
One of the netbooks with swivel screens is also very good for reading books! And they can be any format!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 14:23   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Previous Kindle thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dle-19058.html
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 15:49   #6

Quote:
On the new kindles you may can download the book to your PC over the internet and then transfer the book to the Kindle but I dont think that you can do this.
Yes, you can. I have the original Kindle and have it in Mexico now (and it's been to a bunch of other places, too) and have no problems at all downloading books on my Macbook and transferring to the Kindle.

You're right that it's not too useful at present for books with lots of graphics, but for text it's fabulous. Sure beats traveling with a separate suitcase packed with HEAVY books!

By the way, it's a great conversation starter, too, both outside and inside the US. People are curious about it.

Mike
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 21:33   #7

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
I live my kindle. It will hold a ton of books (1500 they claim) holds a charge for a long time if the wireless is off... and syncs with my Iphone so I can read either on the kindle or the phone. Text is easy to read but no backlighting so you need some background lighting to read by.
I only download from the wispernet that comes with kindle. I would suggest down loading all the books you want prior to going off shore. Many are free or at reduced price, and t he ones that are not are usualy 9.99 in price.
You can not share them however unless the other person has a kindle that shares your same email on amazon.
Google is in the process of digitizing all written books, will one day be downloadable.
Now that will be cool.
But for now, the kindle is the future of reading.
All the words are searchable vial a built in dictionary. If you don't know the word, look it up.
Worth the price.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 21:17   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
It looks like Amazon will be offering an international Kindle.

Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, U.S. & International Wireless, Latest Generation): Kindle Store
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:38   #9

Boat: Tashiba 40
You can download from other sites other than Amazon. I have downloaded from several of the free sites. You just have to make sure the book is in the correct format, the free sites usually give you a choice of which format you want. Unfortunately, you can't download from libraries. You may want to save books downloaded from other sites to a different memory thing (brains not working this morning) because when you remove them from your Kindle to free up space they won't be saved to an account like the ones from Amazon are. To explain further, when you are finished reading a book you can remove it from the Kindle device to give you more storage room to download more books but if you ever want to re-read the book you go to you Kindle account on Amazon and re-download it.
Old 08-01-2010, 18:41   #10

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Australian Kindle

Santa delivered my wife an international Kindle for Christmas. She loves it and so do I. Can't wait for my birthday.
Unfortunately, because of publishing laws in Australia books that are distrubuted by publishers in this country are not allowed to be imported from overseas. Of course, books here are much more expensive than in the U.S. The protectionist argument goes like this. If books were allowed to be imported cheaply from OS, publishers here would go broke and local authors would not get published. I think publishers here have a year to take up copyright after which its free trade. Or once copyright expires its free trade. It means that most bestsellers and other popular books can not be downloaded to an Australain Kindle. I think Amazon are trying to negotiate with publishers here for a better deal but we're a small market, so don't hold your breath.
However, correct me if I am wrong but I think the international kindle (Australian kindle ?) supports the global roaming thingy and you can download at most destinations overseas. I wonder if you could download the banned books with an Australian Kindle, if you were overseas ?

Having said that there are about 100 000 cheap books on Amazon that I can download. So there is still a lot of great reading do while the suits sort this out.
Jim
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 22:24   #11

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Don't forget the free downloaded books.
Like Jules Verne mysterious Island, or any book that is has no copyright on it anymore. There are a bunch of them out there. Just look for free books on amazon. Some are not formatted well.. but for free so what.

I have had my Kindle for 3/4 of a year now. I love it. There are a lot of books I still want in print, but for novels, the kindle is best.
Turn off the wireless when not needed it. It sucks battery juice fast.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:35   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
We can't download directly to the Kindle but have to first download to our computer, then to the Kindle. Luckily there are no such trade barriers here.

Here are some links offering free books for Kindle or for your computer...

http://thekindle.wordpress.com/2008/01/19/free-books-for-the-amazon-kindle/

http://www.feedbooks.com/

ManyBooks.net - Free eBooks for your PDA, iPhone, or eBook Reader

Free Kindle Books offers Free Classic E-Books in Kindle-compatible MOBI and PRC formats

Main Page - Gutenberg

http://www.munseys.com/joomla/

World Public Library Association (costs $8.95 per year for unlimited downloads)

http://www.classicbookshelf.com/library/

Free Kindle Books

If you want a specific book or author, this is a search engine just for eBooks: http://ebooksearchr.googlepages.com/
Old 09-01-2010, 06:10   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
There are Kindle apps for PC and iPhone/iPod-touch. We too use it on the small LCD of the Apple gadgets and have no trouble with that.

I don't like the protectionism @ Amazon and I don't like to pay that much money for Kindle features that I don't need (the wireless part of it). I think the Sony is a better deal and there's probably ways to convert Kindle books for use on the Sony if you can't get the books in a Sony compatible format. As long as you buy the Kindle book and don't copy it for others, you don't violate the copyright laws (but probably Amazon's terms of sale).

I have hopes that the upcoming Apple tablet will get a Kindle app!!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:30   #14

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
We can't download directly to the Kindle but have to first download to our computer, then to the Kindle. Luckily there are no such trade barriers here.
Hang on, hang on. Have I got this right ? Are you saying that in the U.S on a U.S Kindle you can't download directly to the Kindle. You have to go through your computer first and then to the Kindle?

Jim

Or is that just in the West Indies - cell phone coverage.
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:42   #15

I have been watching reports from the Los Vegas CES. There are MANY new readers coming out this year!

Jill and I have a Sony Reader she got almost 2 years ago and I now have a B&N Nook (with WiFi) aboard. We also just bought a basic ereader for one of our sons. Got it on sale for about US$125.00 on line.

We normally live aboard our Nor'Sea 27, NOT a lot of room for a lot of books! We currently have 1,050 ebooks with us aboard! All of them we can trade with other ereaders.

We put a web page up (Guenevere's Reading Room) that has a side by side review of the 2 we have and lists a few sites to get free books from. GRR Top page

For cruising, THEY ARE GREAT!

Greg

Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote