Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2010, 17:18   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I've looked at several other solutions.

I LOVE my Kindle. I get my daily paper on it, as well. This saves me $12 a month AND I can get it anywhere I am - whether in San Antonio, Corpus Christi, or wherever.

For those offering other than readers for reading. It's simply no contest. Try reading a Palm or a laptop sitting in your cockpit, bright sunshine, drinking your morning coffee. It sucks. The Kindle is PERFECT for that. Amazon really did get it right.

P.S. About a dozen of our Corpus Christi Marina friends got Kindles for Xmas, because of us. They see me every weekend morning, sitting in the cockpit reading my paper...

Old 11-01-2010, 19:04   #32

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
kindles and nooks abroad

Canibul

Maybe I wasnt clear. The Nook wont work internationally. The Kindle will but there are some places it will work and some where it is a bit harder. I dont have the link but if you search the kindle site a bit you will find a listing of where you can get it to download books automatically and where not. As we are going to the Caribbean I focused on that and found that most islands are good but some are not. e.g. the BVI were fine, the various French islands were fine because they are part of France as far as the internet is concerned, and the rest were a mixed bag.

This was all true a couple of months ago but things change so fast with a new technology all my info might be obsolete already

Old 11-01-2010, 20:13   #33

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
@#$%$#@^&*&^%
Alan, Alan, Alan....your p.ssing in the wind ,mate.
(sadly shaking my head and sighing)
Old 18-01-2010, 22:00   #34

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
so has anyone have one of the new larger Kindles yet? I see they sell a 6" screen with Manual Rotation and a 9.7 screen with auto rotation.

Price is a big more 259 vs 489, But I want something I can see well, so any feedback on the 6" ones, easy to hold and read? or a little small ?

Bottom of the page is the specs on the two.

Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation): Kindle Store
Old 19-01-2010, 08:15   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I wouldn't go with a larger Kindle - but that's me. I like my smaller one, just fine. Easy to read, easy to hold. You can change the font size easily, if you find it hard to read.
Old 20-01-2010, 08:58   #36

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
The other thing I would consider is the new slate pcs coming out soon. About the size of the larger kindle, with a fair amount of processing power. you can easily do all the kindle can do plus a lot more. I am looking for one that will wirelessly interface with the nav computer for instance, so I can see charts plus read, listen to music, surf the net etc from the cockpit in black and white, greyscale, or color. Pretty soon everything a pc can do will be in the size of the iphone or smaller. The new integrated chips intel is working on are amazing.
While I love the kindle, I kind of like reading on my iphone with the kindle op better. It is easier to change pages, with the touch screen. And the backlight means I can read in low light.
Things are changing. Fast.
Old 18-02-2010, 21:45   #37

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
I got for my Christmas present a Hanlin V5 from Australia. Sent to NZ (and the bloody so and so's charged me duty by overcharging the exchange rate) and I have downloaded heaps and heaps of books over the internet.

I love it! Love it! Love it! The best thing I have ever gotten for Christmas and have I mentioned I love it? I refuse point blank to buy DRM or geographical restricted ebooks so I have to search a little longer sometimes but never ever been a problem yet.

Light, easy to hold, easy to charge, cover comes with it (well mine did) and just so easy. No question about it - get one but don't restrict yourself to Kindle and it's monopoly with Amazon. You should be free to go and buy wherever you want. Ease of use and download is important. Have I mentioned I absolutely love my ereader?
Old 18-02-2010, 22:54   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I have gotten books from other than Amazon for my Kindle.

Mine was a gift as well, and I love having it. Would I have liked another ebook reader? Likely. I do like that I can finish a book and have a new one in under a minute from the Kindle. I will say searching for books on Amazon with the Kindle can be a bit clunky, but they come in right quick once you find what you are looking for.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 04:22   #39
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
Canibul

Maybe I wasnt clear. The Nook wont work internationally. The Kindle will but there are some places it will work and some where it is a bit harder. I dont have the link but if you search the kindle site a bit you will find a listing of where you can get it to download books automatically and where not. As we are going to the Caribbean I focused on that and found that most islands are good but some are not. e.g. the BVI were fine, the various French islands were fine because they are part of France as far as the internet is concerned, and the rest were a mixed bag.

This was all true a couple of months ago but things change so fast with a new technology all my info might be obsolete already
Okay, here's the deal on that. We bought two Kindles. I researched the bejesus out of it ( as is usual with me) and the Nook from Barnes & Noble is better than the Kindle all around. More features, three times as many books, etc. So that would be the logical choice, if you live in the US.

Because you cannot download stuff to the Nook outside the US. Guess they don't have the copywright thing quite worked out yet. I am sure they will eventually, but this is how I figured it: Amazon was first, and did it right with Kindle. Now the rest of them are coming out with Kindle killers. So Amazon (being the good marketing folks they definitely are) will be forced to come out with something better to leapfrog the first wave of competition, and maintain market share. They made a killing on Kindle, so they can go either way with a new one. Better features, or less money. Since the publishing people are holding their feet to the fire on the cost/per/book (y'all do realize this is going to go up at some point) they will come out with better features, lower intitial price, an of course there will be fierce competition for the number of titles.

Since I have faith Amazon will leapfrog generation 2, and we could use them here in the TCI now , we bought two Kindles.

We can download titles via the built in wireless, but it costs $ 2 more per book than it does in the US. this is to pay for the extra costs in wireless service via other carriers. BUT there is a way to save the two bucks. We turned the wireless off, and download the books via the internet. Then we just transfer from the laptop to the Kindles. No problem.

And I love the thing. I think I am on my fourth book on it.

I was disappointed to find out that none of the Bahamas Crusing Guides are in Kindle format, because I am ready for Van Sant's work to plan for our upcoming trip. Once we find the boat. And buy it. Maybe that will change by then.
Old 21-02-2010, 15:15   #40

Boat: Currently boatless
Just to add two variables to the mix:

1) The Kindle won't work with public library books. The Nook will. You can check out books from your local library while in another country. So, that is one way you can get new books for free on your Nook while traveling (through normal wireless not 3G like internet cafe or a home).

2) If you purchase books while in the US, you can download them to your Nook through normal wireless while traveling. If you are traveling, and put books in your wish list, and a trusted individual in the US logs into your account and clicks "buy", you can download them wherever you are.

Livia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: