Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-01-2010, 09:31   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I like the concept of an e-reader but I'm going to wait a bit. As someone noted there are new models being introduced and I suppose even more in the pipeline. Right now there doesn't seem to be any standardization of format, kind of like the early days when it was either VHS or Beta. Of course now both of those are obsolete. As to the Kindle I am concerned by the user reviews that indicate the display screen is easily damaged. I am more concerned by the fact that if I buy a book for the Kindle I don't own it. Amazon can, and has, deleted some books and when they do so, the book is also deleted from the users Kindle's despite said user having paid for it.

I'm going to give it another year or two to settle down.

Rich

Old 09-01-2010, 12:49   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpemb7 View Post
Hang on, hang on. Have I got this right ? Are you saying that in the U.S on a U.S Kindle you can't download directly to the Kindle. You have to go through your computer first and then to the Kindle?

Jim

Or is that just in the West Indies - cell phone coverage.
Yes, it's because we're out of the Wispernet coverage area. Even with an International Kindle, I don't believe Nevis would be covered. Downloading via computer is a little less convenient than direct download from the network, but not much.

Old 09-01-2010, 13:50   #18

Boat: Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Send a message via Skype™ to Delezynski
Rich,

As noted, on the Kindle and other “connected” E-Readers, they can remove a book. BUT, there is a boat load of other readers that do NOT connect to the web/net or use a phone system to check in. Our Sony is an example of one. Once we have an ebook, we have it. So far as I know, only the Kindle has actually done the removal of a book. But the B&N Nook is so new, they have not had that problem, yet.

Jill has been using her Sony for over 2 years with no problem . The screens are no more tender than a laptop screen.

As for the standard, most all of them are now reading the “ePub” format. Even Amazon has stated that they (not the first Kendle) will be adding that format. All of the readers I have seen read a few different formats.

There are also a number of computer based reading programs. Amazon and Barnes & Noble have free downloads to allow you to read their (and others) E-books. You can try one of them for free.

I was the one who gave a link to the new models from many mfg that will be coming this year.

Disclaimer, not connected with any of the mfg.

Greg

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Cruising aboard Guenevere
Home Page:www.svguenevere.com
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 18:18   #19

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
After using the Kindle I am convinced that E-readers are the future. If you have any good books in good condition start vacuum storing them. In 30 years they'll be collectors items (imo). Schools are already starting to build bookless libraries.
Like the old beta v's VHS wars there is a rationalization process happening at the moment. You could wait for that to resolve itself but you'll be missing out on some great reading.
Old 09-01-2010, 19:51   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Barnes & Noble has an e-reader called the Nook which has over a million book titles available to the Kindle's 400,000 titles. There is also rumor that Apple is coming out with an electronic reader.

I'm waiting to see what Apple comes out with.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:22   #21

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
The nook looks nice. But I will stick to my Kindle.
There really is no comparison when I read the reviews of the nook. The screen is the same. Yes they offer more books but many of them are google books, that you may be able to access on the kindle soon, or now.
The amazon prices are good, you get a browser, limited but there. You get wikipedia. You get a faster interface.
The only thing I don't like about the kindle is the buttons to turn the pages.
Many times I read on my Iphone instead, cause I can use the flip feature of the screen. It would be nice if the kindle had that.

But either way, you will be happy with the kindle. I don't know what they are referring to about removing books from your kindle. never heard of that. What I know is once you purchase a book from amazon, you can redownload it.
So if its removed, just redownload.
with the capacity of over 1000 books, its a no brainer.
The sony.. no thanks.
If apple makes one it will be sweet, but cost 2x more for content. They are good at that.
Bob
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37   #22

Boat: pilot cutter
Many older PDA's such as the Palm units and Windows CE units can function as ebook readers. Why spend a bunch of money on a Kindle that costs $$$ and is in a proprietary format when you've probably got an old Palm Pilot laying around that will do the same thing for $0 and with free downloads? (And if you don't have one they can be gotten off eBay for dirt cheap.) It just doesn't make sense to buy an expensive Kindle (or clone) until they put out a decent eReader that handles pictures and book graphics well when there are tons of old PDA's out there that can do the same exact thing.
Old 10-01-2010, 14:44   #23
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
How do I do that? I have two old Palm Pilots lying around, not doing anything. Still work fine, as far as I know.
Old 10-01-2010, 23:56   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
Many older PDA's such as the Palm units and Windows CE units can function as ebook readers. Why spend a bunch of money on a Kindle that costs $$$ and is in a proprietary format when you've probably got an old Palm Pilot laying around that will do the same thing for $0 and with free downloads? (And if you don't have one they can be gotten off eBay for dirt cheap.) It just doesn't make sense to buy an expensive Kindle (or clone) until they put out a decent eReader that handles pictures and book graphics well when there are tons of old PDA's out there that can do the same exact thing.
Sorry it is not the same thing. I have a palm, and a kindle. I would not want to read on the palm. The screen is different.
I guess if you are a early adopter like I am, you buy it, and if you are not, you don't.
I don't use my kindle for book graphics. For now, its for novels and such. If I wanted to read a book with graphics, I would buy it or use a pc.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:19   #25

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Kindel dindle nook book ??

@#$%$#@^&*&^%

BOOKs are much better...tactile, real, printed word...nothing beats 'em !
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:00   #26

The palm pilot screen is very low resolution and poor contrast. It's no substitute for paper book reading comfort. The new "E paper" readers are. There's a huge difference in the quality/comfort level.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
This is an interesting discussion between early users of technology and those that would wait until a format is finalized. I used to be the later, now I am the former. I have some of the first smart phones, in my cabinet collecting dust. Yeah, they turned out to be great 400 dollar purchases.
I am going to wait...I have great reading right here, and you guys keep me up on all the trends
Old 11-01-2010, 13:07   #28

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I went to Barnes and Noble and asked about the Nook - I liked it better than the kindle in every way except one - It cant download books outside of the USA and Canada.
Old 11-01-2010, 14:16   #29
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
Well, for me, that's pretty much a show stopper right there. We were just discussing buying two of the Kindles, and were just working out how to juggle each of us reading the same books. If it won't work outside the US, sayonara.

As far as juggling them, that's a real issue. Once a book is downloaded from Amazon onto a Kindle, does it have to stay on that Kindle? Problem is that I read about three books for every one my wife reads. When I finish a good book and she wants to read it next...do I have to hand over the Kindle I was using and then take hers and download a different book? It might take her another week to finish that book. Whereas I will read two books in a week. Logistics.

Of course, if we could download the same book onto two Kindles for one price it might make sense to us, but I bet that doesn't make sense to Amazon.
Old 11-01-2010, 14:22   #30

I am pretty sure its related to the account you use to set it up.
Since my wife and I share the same amazon.com account, we could download the book onto several kindles as long as they are linked to the same account.
Once you purchased the book, you can download it multiple times. You can store it on your kindle OR you can 'store' it at amazon. Its a pretty neat feature.
While the kindle can hold many many books, why would you want to, unless off shore voyaging. It just makes it harder to find the book you want.
Currently I have about 35-40 books on my Kindle. Many I may read again, many I would not.... but once I delete it off the kindle I can redownload it for free at any time.

Bob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: